Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)I got my first bow kill this weekend!! This buck is my second buck and the first deer with my bow. Sorry this is a little long but i cant leave anything out it was such a great experience. :darkbeer:

So this past weekend I took a trip to my families camp in Northwestern Pennsylvania to do a little bow hunting while my dad was turkey hunting. So I get to my stand on big woods public land about an hour early and get set up about 30 minutes before sunrise. Just after sunrise i see a doe moving through the thicket that is behind my stand and think this is going to be a good day I am already seeing deer and in this part of PA seeing a deer is a victory.

So I keep my eyes open and around 8:30 or 8:45 I see movement to the south of my stand. I pick up the binos and take a look to see what is headed my direction and I see horn. This is when I start to get the shakes so it was a challenge to get a good view of the buck as it was feeding my way to determine if it met the minimum point requirements (3 points on one side). I see enough antler on this buck and I set the bino's down and pick up my bow. This buck moves out of range as he gets just about parallel to my stand I make one grunt on the mad buck growl and this buck stops on a dime. He turns and makes a b-line to my tree and runs over every sappling raking his antlers on them all the way to my stand. I never saw this behavior as this is the first buck I saw while archery hunting. I draw on him when he gets close but he doesnt stop and goes right behind my stand so here I go turning around the tree at full draw. I make it around the tree and he stops hard quarting away at 16 yards. I pick my spot and release the arrow. I guess I got buck fever a little and shot right over his back!!!

He takes off and I grunt again. He stops on a dime again about 20 yards into the thicket looking for the other deer. I wait and wait as we have a 30 minute staring contest. I call a few more times with the grunt and can calls and get a response everytime. He circles down wind of me and tries to smell me but the scent blocker works. He returns to the spot where he was standing in the thicket. We wait some more. Eventually, he circles back down wind and starts coming out of the thicket just of of bow range at about 50 yards. I think that this is probably over but I range a spot out in front of me just in case.

The second chance buck then comes and walks over the log I ranged and stops in a clearing in the between two trees. I draw settle my pin and let it fly again. This time i here a distinctive thud the rage 3 blade passed through and the arrow came 3/4 the way out but when the deer took its first leap it broke the last 5 inches of the arrow off but the important part had passed through. On his first leap i saw the blood pouring out. He ran less than 50 yards and crashed. When I gutted him I hit him right through the center of the heart. Funny thing is I missed the 16 yard shot but put a perfect shot on him at around 36 yards. I have never been so excited as I was when I heard him crash an when and walked up on him. It was great to have my dad less then 100 yards away turkey hunting and to have him hear the deer crash as well. Here he is I have never been a happier hunter and to share it with my dad was amazing.

Here he is. He had and 11 inch inside spread and an estimated live weight of 169 lbs. That is a pretty good deer for the area and a trophy for me :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
81 Posts
As the saying goes - persistence pays off.

Congrats on your first archery buck.

Where in NW PA did you get him?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Congrats! I love the ALL CAMO and then you see the blaze orange hat lol:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Congrats on your first of many :thumb:

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Congrats on your first archery buck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts