Archery Talk Forum banner

My first bow kill buck

1646 Views 17 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  WCWade
Here is my first bow kill from last Friday. I arrowed him at 8:45am. I was hunting a funnel with a bedding area that was south of me. The wind was swirling but mainly from the south. I had figured that I would not see anything to the north of me because of the wind. I heard a loud snort from 25yds away and thru the trees I could just make him out. He walked very causiously towards me till he was 10' from my stand. The wind must have been blowing my scent over the top of him. He stepped out of the brush but only his head and about 8" of his neck were in the opening. I could tell he was nervous. He obviously caught a scent before when he snorted. He took a couple steps back and went up a small ditch bank across from me and then turned and walked broadside at 15yds. The second I could I drew back and let the arrow fly. It was a awesome experience and I was lucky to even see a deer. I know it is no big trophy but to me a buck on your first year ever bowhunting is a big plus. He is a 7 pointer. Man do they look goofy with the short fur and skinny little neck. Hope to see a big guy in the future! Thanks all on here for helping me out with it. P.S. won't shoot another small one!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
989 Posts
Congrats - nice buck :darkbeer:

...now you are addicted to bowhunting, are you? :tongue:

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, my name is Ryan, and I am addicted to bowhunting!

I am now after a 140 class buck or bigger. My dad and I are hunting together and he said I can shoot his if I see a big one. I have a 140 on the wall already so bigger then that and I would shoot. Smaller and I will let it pass. I really thank you all for the help this site rocks!

Ryan

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Oh yeah.

Ryan,
I bet you have tons of big deer in your area but where I am from, just to see a buck is a plus. I hunt on land that is due to be sold to a developer anytime and we take anything we see (no spots, of course). My motto when bowhunting is to shoot a personal trophy. I cant hold out for the big one. I take it that you can only take one buck a year by your comment so I hope that you do get the big one next time. If you dont and you shoot a small buck then not many here will think less of you. Any deer in your first few years of bowhunting is surely a trophy. Congrats on your first bow kill and I hope you get many more. :darkbeer:

· Registered
3,383 Posts
Congrats on your first.

· Registered
25,353 Posts
good job. any deer u get is a trophy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.