Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started hunting with a bow last year but after a year of rookie mistakes I finally arrowed a doe tonight. She was about 25 yards and stood broadside for me. My son normally hunts with me but he couldn't tonight because he told my sister he would help her with some stuff that she had to do. I jokingly told him that I would get one cuz he wasn't along. It was 5 minutes before hours were done and my wife had texted me to see if I was out and if I had seen anything. I dug out my phone to text her back that I was just about to get out of the tree and I would se her at home. I looked down to put my phone back in my pocket and when I looked up I had a doe standing at 25 yards. I looked around to make sure that no other deer were going to see me draw and saw none. Just as I went to hook up me release she stopped eating and stared at me, she must have thought nothing was wrong and started eating again. I tried to hook my release up again and she stopped and stared again. Finally I got my release hooked up and was about to draw and she stopped and stared again! Finally she put her head down to eat and I drew and got busted by another deer that was there that I had not seen deeper in the timber, but she didn't run and I plugged her in the lungs with a Rage. She went about 40 yards and crashed to her death. I called my sister so she could bring my son up to help me "track". I waited for them for about an hour and we went to tracking. A blind man could have followed that blood trail. I have to say I am slightly dissapointed in the penetration that the Rage provided but she bled like a stuck pig and died in a very short distance. My shot was a little off and went a little high, but I judged her to be 20 yards and I'm pretty sure she was closer to 25, but I hit her hard and I am haven heart and tenderloin for breakfast with my tracking partner.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
congrats on the bow kill!!! welcome to the addiction

·
Registered
758 Posts
Congrats on your first bow kill. It's too bad your son wasn't there to share the experience with you. At least he gets to share in the spoils. It's a lot harder to judge distance in the woods with a deer staring at you then in your back yard eh?:cheers:

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
It always seems that it happens when you least expect it. Last year I set an older friend of mine and his 82 year old father in my two prime spots. I took to a less desireable spot in my climber at 1 pm. During half climb I had to stop because a 7 pointer was meandering to me, by the time i got the bow up without him noticing, drawing and everything he was 20 yards away and I stuck him. The other 2 guys ended up taking a doe each. 'Twas a good day. Congrats on the deer, and enjoy those backstraps in the mornin'.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on your first bow kill. It's too bad your son wasn't there to share the experience with you. At least he gets to share in the spoils. It's a lot harder to judge distance in the woods with a deer staring at you then in your back yard eh?:cheers:
You bet. I have my camera set at 20 yards from my stand and thats where she appeared to be. After I got down and saw where she was it was farther away then that, so even with the camera there for me to judge I still got it wrong. O well I got her and I am going to have delicious venison.

Thanks for all the congrats guys!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Congrats on your first !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Randy

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Good job!!!
Now, go whack another, bro!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I started hunting with a bow last year but after a year of rookie mistakes I finally arrowed a doe tonight. She was about 25 yards and stood broadside for me. My son normally hunts with me but he couldn't tonight because he told my sister he would help her with some stuff that she had to do. I jokingly told him that I would get one cuz he wasn't along. It was 5 minutes before hours were done and my wife had texted me to see if I was out and if I had seen anything. I dug out my phone to text her back that I was just about to get out of the tree and I would se her at home. I looked down to put my phone back in my pocket and when I looked up I had a doe standing at 25 yards. I looked around to make sure that no other deer were going to see me draw and saw none. Just as I went to hook up me release she stopped eating and stared at me, she must have thought nothing was wrong and started eating again. I tried to hook my release up again and she stopped and stared again. Finally I got my release hooked up and was about to draw and she stopped and stared again! Finally she put her head down to eat and I drew and got busted by another deer that was there that I had not seen deeper in the timber, but she didn't run and I plugged her in the lungs with a Rage. She went about 40 yards and crashed to her death. I called my sister so she could bring my son up to help me "track". I waited for them for about an hour and we went to tracking. A blind man could have followed that blood trail. I have to say I am slightly dissapointed in the penetration that the Rage provided but she bled like a stuck pig and died in a very short distance. My shot was a little off and went a little high, but I judged her to be 20 yards and I'm pretty sure she was closer to 25, but I hit her hard and I am haven heart and tenderloin for breakfast with my tracking partner.
Congrats on your first!

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Hunting will never be the same! It is hard for me to even pick up a rifle or my muzzle loader after killing with my bow!

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
good job! I know how hard it is too keep your cool with a deer staring at you. It doesnt take much and they will be out of there. I had one bust me 3 times this past weekend, it was the early season antlerless hunt, and it was the same doe 3 times in a row!She never looked up at me either, just must have known something was wrong and boogered outa there. But, CONGRATS on your bow kill. The next will certainly be easier.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts