Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I posted the full story in the Ohio rut thread, but figgered I'd show a few guys on this side of the fence. Normally I'd post this in it's own thread on the vertical side as well, but I don't feel like dealing with the snide remarks that would surely pop up.

At any rate, this is a first for me. I will say that in this particular situation I would not have been able to kill this deer with the Hoyt. While I've killed a bunch of bogeys with the x-gun over the years, this happens to be the first time I've dumped a buck with anything other than a vertical bow. Even during gun season, mature bucks seem to avoid getting in my wheelhouse. I've managed to do pretty good with a standard bow, but I was beginning to wonder if I had some weird voodoo about me.

I have to admit I enjoy killing with the Hoyt above all else, but given the fact that it's late season, I'll take em with whatever weapon fits the need best.

I actually got this guy almost 2wks ago, but haven't got around to posting him up. Im especially proud of my GF who put up with my ass during the photo shoot, on a day that barely broke 30 degrees. I think the temps were around 25* when we took these pics, but they turned out pretty sweet I think.

Now it's time to see if she can get one on the ground. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Congrats on a fine Buck, and first xbow buck. I also like hunting with my verts, but usually hunt with my xbow late season.

·
<--best man Ive known
1,466 Posts
Congrats on a great buck

Sure you didn't shoot that in September? Ha! :)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
outstanding buck...
BTW, looks like you put on a little muscle since you took that avatar photo :wink:
also, that buck is so big it makes your big wide xbow look small!!!!!
y'know I am just messin with you....I bet you were smiling for days!
norm

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Man I see so many people take pics of big bucks and bears that just don't do the hunter or animal justice.. you took some great pictures for sure.. great buck indeed

·
Regohio
17,870 Posts
Nice Buckeye Buck…we were all vertical guys at one time…those guys will understand when they get older! A buck with an arrow is a trophy…Plain and simple!

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys :)

The pics can be a bit deceiving, but make no mistake about it, it was COLD as hell that afternoon! My face doesn't normally have any redness to it at all. And I had to stop several times to warm up my fingers and face. I think we took upwards of 80 pics at sunset on 3 different cameras to get a few keepers. Shot him 12/18, in a moderate drizzle, and took the pics a few days later. I saw there were a few clear days coming so I waited on the pics.

As for the tee, I've always done my hero shots in a black tee and camo pants. No idea why, but that's just become my 'thing'. I'm incredibly tolerant of the cold, so I figgered.....why not? :jam:

I've always been one to appreciate a good picture, so I put some effort into my pics. I do have a high dollar DSLR, but I'll admit I haven't learned it very well. These pics were taken with an 8yr old Canon point-n-shoot that just seems to capture vivid colors like no other camera I've owned. The only editing we had to do were the deers eyes, my eyes, brush out the tag on his leg, and cropping. I did use my 'auto enhance' on my iPhone 4 (don't laugh!), and they turned out like what you see.

I'm not dissing the x-bow at all, and I'm glad I had it in my hands that day. Still takes the same skill set to get in arrow range of a deer, but there's just sumptin different about killing with both styles. Nothing bad, just different.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Good looking buck....Congrats...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Great buck Carp! Green grass wow I haven't seen that for quite awhile. Excellent pose and pictures.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Excellent pics! I place zero relevance on What weapon you use to kill a deer just with as long as its legal...I have killed the majority of My 150"+ bucks with a gun of some type (rifle/shotgun/muzzleloder)...........Hb

1 - 20 of 24 Posts