Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was a humid, 80 degrees here in SW WI. It was opening weekend, but our weekend was looking pretty full with friends coming over on Saturday and church activities Sunday morning. After church, it was looking like we had an open schedule, so I dropped a couple of hints to my wife that I might like to go that evening and see what I could see. After sorting out some toddler-wrangling details, she conceded, realizing that I wouldn't have another opportunity to hunt until mid-late October. She took our 4-yo out to burn some energy and while the 1-yo napped, I took a couple shots to confirm that the wrist release was good (having shot with a hand-held back-tension all summer) and sharpened up my broadheads quick.

I went on a new piece of public land, walked through some THICK brush, found a clearing and a tree off of a worn game trail by several yards and hung my sticks and saddle. I was in the tree and set at around 5:30pm. This is my third season hunting, and so far, I've only killed a feral cat. So I was ready to shoot the first deer that crossed my path, provided that it didn't have spots. I figured that if I'd rather shoot something small than kick myself at the end of season for being empty handed.

At about 6:20, I see the brush rustling about where I came in, east of me by about 40 yds. A minute later, I see more rustling maybe 5 yds away from the first spot. Then I see a deer body, and then a head, and then a small flash of antler through the brush. I see that he's a little fork buck and decide that if he gives me a shot, I'm taking it. Over the next 15-20 minutes, maybe less than that... but it felt way longer, he was working closer and closer to me until he was about 25-30 yds. I drew back, thinking he was going to step into a clearing, but as he stepped through, the clearing wasn't as clear as I expected! He was still deep in the brush. So I let down as slowly as possible and thankfully, he didn't notice. I had ranged a large tree earlier that sit at about 20 yds, and the deer was making his way toward that tree. He stepped into another small clearing 20 yds away and this time it was clear enough to see his head and front half of his body. I drew back, let my pin settle, and let my practice take over. I shot the arrow just like I would've at any foam target. I heard the solid "whack" saw him bound up and around, out of sight and then I heard the crash. The shot took place at 6:40. I sat for a bit, caught my breath, texted a buddy, and eventually decided to go look for an arrow. at about 7:15 I was down from the tree, packing up climbing sticks and what not. My buddy arrived and we took sticks, bow and pack to the car. We were on the blood trail at 7:25 and by 7:35 found my downed deer. We found that I made a perfect double-lung shot, and he only went 60 yds.

My buddy talked me through the gutting process, we loaded it up, took it home to show the wife and kiddos (they thought it was the coolest thing) and we got it hanging in a cold-storage room by 9:30.

It's the first deer I've killed and I am tickled! I was so glad that my first deer was with a bow. What a thrilling sport this is. Thanks for letting me share my enthusiasm and excitement! Best of luck this hunting season guys!
Plant Botany Natural environment Vegetation Organism

Table Wood Interior design Art Floor

Automotive lighting Flash photography Entertainment Automotive tire Midnight

Ecoregion Map World Font Biome

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Yesterday was a humid, 80 degrees here in SW WI. It was opening weekend, but our weekend was looking pretty full with friends coming over on Saturday and church activities Sunday morning. After church, it was looking like we had an open schedule, so I dropped a couple of hints to my wife that I might like to go that evening and see what I could see. After sorting out some toddler-wrangling details, she conceded, realizing that I wouldn't have another opportunity to hunt until mid-late October. She took our 4-yo out to burn some energy and while the 1-yo napped, I took a couple shots to confirm that the wrist release was good (having shot with a hand-held back-tension all summer) and sharpened up my broadheads quick.

I went on a new piece of public land, walked through some THICK brush, found a clearing and a tree off of a worn game trail by several yards and hung my sticks and saddle. I was in the tree and set at around 5:30pm. This is my third season hunting, and so far, I've only killed a feral cat. So I was ready to shoot the first deer that crossed my path, provided that it didn't have spots. I figured that if I'd rather shoot something small than kick myself at the end of season for being empty handed.

At about 6:20, I see the brush rustling about where I came in, east of me by about 40 yds. A minute later, I see more rustling maybe 5 yds away from the first spot. Then I see a deer body, and then a head, and then a small flash of antler through the brush. I see that he's a little fork buck and decide that if he gives me a shot, I'm taking it. Over the next 15-20 minutes, maybe less than that... but it felt way longer, he was working closer and closer to me until he was about 25-30 yds. I drew back, thinking he was going to step into a clearing, but as he stepped through, the clearing wasn't as clear as I expected! He was still deep in the brush. So I let down as slowly as possible and thankfully, he didn't notice. I had ranged a large tree earlier that sit at about 20 yds, and the deer was making his way toward that tree. He stepped into another small clearing 20 yds away and this time it was clear enough to see his head and front half of his body. I drew back, let my pin settle, and let my practice take over. I shot the arrow just like I would've at any foam target. I heard the solid "whack" saw him bound up and around, out of sight and then I heard the crash. The shot took place at 6:40. I sat for a bit, caught my breath, texted a buddy, and eventually decided to go look for an arrow. at about 7:15 I was down from the tree, packing up climbing sticks and what not. My buddy arrived and we took sticks, bow and pack to the car. We were on the blood trail at 7:25 and by 7:35 found my downed deer. We found that I made a perfect double-lung shot, and he only went 60 yds.

My buddy talked me through the gutting process, we loaded it up, took it home to show the wife and kiddos (they thought it was the coolest thing) and we got it hanging in a cold-storage room by 9:30.

It's the first deer I've killed and I am tickled! I was so glad that my first deer was with a bow. What a thrilling sport this is. Thanks for letting me share my enthusiasm and excitement! Best of luck this hunting season guys! View attachment 7702266
View attachment 7702265
View attachment 7702263
View attachment 7702264
Congrats!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey great story and congrats on your first deer! I've been rifle hunting for years, but this is my first year I've taken my bow out. I had a doe feeding behind my left shoulder for about 15 minutes on Saturday but there was a big branch blocking my shot. If she'd gone about 10 feet further I'd have had a great shot, and my adrenaline was pumping the entire time. Really looking forward to letting that first arrow fly towards a real target!

Congrats again!

·
Registered
255 Posts

It's the first deer I've killed and I am tickled! I was so glad that my first deer was with a bow. What a thrilling sport this is. Thanks for letting me share my enthusiasm and excitement! Best of luck this hunting season guys! View attachment 7702266
View attachment 7702265
View attachment 7702263
View attachment 7702264
I didn't realize shooting feral cats was now legal in WI

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Congrats on a great hunt! Great shot to go along with great patients and love the family involved pics! That’s what it is all about. Great story hope you have continued success.

Reactions: bow up

·
Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
694 Posts
Your wife finally conceded. That's funny. After many, many years my wife says "I'll see ya when I see ya". Cool story on your first deer. Surely there will be many more to come. Congrats.

Reactions: Tenn47

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,097 Posts
Your kids thought it was the coolest thing ever because it is. Archery hunting in all forms is a rush. Congratulations on your first deer. I antler mount all my bucks, regardless of size. So when I can’t hunt anymore I can look up on the wall and instantly recall the time and place I shot that buck.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts