Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to Kansas about 6 years ago, but just finally had the opportunity to go hunting last season, when a good friend of mine (zmax hunter) offered to take me on some private land that he had permission to hunt on with a friend. He was even so kind as to let me use his bow, since I had sold mine a few years back.

I was setup on the side of a hill a little ways and had a doe decoy (my friend's also!) setup about 25 yards down the hill from me. The evening before I had come out and setup the decoy and a camo canvas blind behind where I was sitting on a bucket, so that I would blend in, but wouldn't have the blind in my way. There were trees all in between me and the bottom of the hill, but that evening before, I had blazed a path between me and the decoy and another path between me and off to the left of the decoy about 10 yards, just in case. This morning, I had been using two different deer calls for about an hour, a grunt call and an estrus bleat (sounds like a billy goat to me). Well, it seemed to work, because a 10 pointer came in from the woods at the bottom of the hill in front of me on the left side of the decoy and didn't see the decoy until he was about 15 yards to the left of it. He got alert and came towards it about another 5 yards and was sniffing the air towards it. It was at that time I went ahead and slowly pulled back on the bow. I just knew for sure that he could hear my heart pounding out of my chest! He must have smelled my scent on the decoy though, because then he turned and started briskly trotting away from the decoy, in a perpendicular line to me. Would have been a great broadside shot, except there were trees all in between us. Darn! But wait! He was headed in the direction of the left path I'd blazed the night before (thank God!). So I swung my aim over to that path and waited. As soon as the front of his left shoulder came into my sight's, I let go. I don't believe I've seen a deer jump so high! And then he took off directly away from me back into the woods. These are thick woods in this particular area; a bunch of small trees no more than 3 inches in diameter and an average of one foot apart. They only get to around 15 feet tall. Being up on the side of the hill a little ways, I could see the general direction the buck was running by the violent swaying of the small trees. I was so excited! I started breathing again as I walked down the hill to where I'd shot him. It didn't take long to find the arrow. One look told me it was a good shot, as it was dripping with dark blood from end to end. I noticed small air bubbles on the arrow also, indicating a lung shot. Then I started following the blood trail. There was a lot of blood on the ground and on the sides of the small saplings as he brushed up against them. After trailing a virtual river of blood through the trees about 30 yards, I broke out into a small clearing. And there he was. Lying on the side of a small hill. Expired already. There was a hole right though the vitals about an inch in diameter. About as humane as possible. The broadhead I was using (my friend's again :) ) was a Crimson Talon. This broadhead has curved blades that cause the arrow to spin very fast through the air, and through the deer also! He didn't suffer more than 2 minutes before he expired. I couldn't have asked for more than a 10 point buck for the first deer I've ever killed... the first of many! (Especially now that I've bought my own bow! :) )

Here's some pic's.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
Congratulations, great buck!

And a great friend too by the sound of things!:wink:

Jim

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Wowza!

I really need to figure out where to hunt in Kansas.
So far I have only tried Missouri.

Good Job!
Good Hunting to all.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Congrats on the first buck! Great in-the-field pix as well. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Great buck. Lots of us out there would have liked to shot a nice one like that for a first buck.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Sweet deer by any standards :thumbs_up

·
Registered
444 Posts
I wanna go to Kansas! Way to go...good planning, also showed great patience in waiting for a good shot, no many first timers can do that. Congradulations.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts