Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) After several years of hard hunting and coming as close as you possibly can to shooting an elk and not actually doing it i finally sealed the deal on Saturday morning at 7:25 am. I was hunting with my dad and after hiking for about 3/4 of a mile we started to see lots of fresh elk sign, so we did about 30 seconds of cow calling with an estrus call at the end. after about 1 minute I saw this guy walking throuh the trees at about 70 yards. I signaled to my dad and we both hunkered down and just waited with no more calling. He started angling towards us and i picked out a clearing in the trees 30 yards away that was about 2 feet wide which was about the only place that he could pass through where i could get a shot, and as luck would have it he walked right into it. As he moved into it I drew my bow and made a cow call with my mouth to stop him. He stopped and i shot. I thought my hit was a little far back but i could see lots of blood as he spun and ran off. We waited for 30 minutes and walked up to where he was standing and found a lot of blood right away but it quickly decreased but that didn't matter because he only went about 100 yards. It turns out that i did hit him far back but it went right through the liver and he died of massive blood loss. The arrow went between 2 ribs on entry and broke a rib on the opposite side and stuck in the skin. Needless to say i was absolutely extatic :) :) I was shooting a 68 lb Hoyt Ultratec with Beman ICS Hunters and 125 grain Slick Tricks (458 grain total arrow weight). Sorry for the long post. enjoy the pics :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Way to go man! Great story and pics,congrats!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You put in your time and it paid off for you! Thanks for sharing your pic and story! That's a really nice bull!

Greg

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
I have to hand it to you that is a nice Elk.

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Nice elk. Alot of character too! Believe it or not they become much easier after the first. Stays just as fun too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That is awesome

Congrats, man. Nice bull.

And hunting with your dad too. My dad and I will make our first hunt together this December in way too many years.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Awesome

Way to go buddy!! That is sweet, you really put the whammy on that one.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Great work!

Congrats man. Thats what ya get for never quiting.Good for you .

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good Bull

You laid the smack down on that bull. Nice shot my man. Im going elk huntin this coming Tuesday, lets hope that a bull like that comes by my stand. He has some awsome character! Congrats

Those Slick Tricks do some damage eh?

·
DefiantShooter
10,865 Posts
Sweet!

Congrats, great bull! :cocktail:

·
Banned
171 Posts
nice pics...congrats on the elk

·
74,535 Posts