Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this was my second season bowhunting. Last year I tried on several occasions to get a deer and it just never worked out for me. Well all that changed this morning.

I have been out hunting quite a bit since our season opened on August 18th. A week ago, I was 60 yards from one deer and didn't know it. Then when I ranged him my release hit my rangefinder and scared the buck off before I was able to shoot. A couple weeks ago I was on a stalk with a buddy and a couple of his friends. We had done a perfect stalk and were closing in quickly on the deer. The other guys saw a fox and decided to shoot at the fox. That shot scared our deer away. So all that led me up to my hunt this morning.

I left town at 4:30 and entered prime hunting area at about 5:30am just as the sun was coming up. I quickly spotted some deer (a few does and a spike buck) that were headed pretty quickly away from me and I was pretty sure that my chance at the spike buck was pretty slim. Then I spotted another buck. He had a fork on one side and just a small spike on the other. That is fine with me, I am not a trophy hunter anyway. I pulled my truck up close and got out, full expecting him to take off. I ranged him at 42 yards. He looked up at me and then put his head back down to eat. I drew my bow back and put my 40 yard pin on him and let an arrow fly. I heard a THWACK, and watched the deer go down right where he was standing. I was pretty sure that I had hit him, but I asked my buddy and he said - yeah I think you got him. That was when the adrenaline started pumping.

But then, I saw my arrow sticking straight up with the FOB still attached. I thought - if that is my arrow then I must have missed him. But then I saw my arrow moving a little bit and I knew there was a deer there (the grass was REALLY high). My buddy moved down the road and got a good look at him. It only took a couple minutes for him to expire and after a few more minutes we felt comfortable that he was dead so we approached him. It was then that I saw that I had hit him in the neck and my arrow was actually stuck in his spine. It wasn't where I intended to hit him, but it put him down.

I am totally pumped, this is my first bow kill EVER and my first Deer EVER. I can't wait to eat him

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
your in trouble now. now the addiction really begins. hide your wallet because your going to spend a lot more money on archery now. LOL congrats man!!! hope you can kill some more this year.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your in trouble now. now the addiction really begins. hide your wallet because your going to spend a lot more money on archery now. LOL congrats man!!! hope you can kill some more this year.
Arizona has a 1 deer per year rule (buck only). But, I am gonna try and go to IL and hunt a doe.

·
UNCLE RUT
3,787 Posts
Congrats on the first!!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Whoa

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congrats the first one will always be in your memories.

·
Registered
140 Posts
congrats on the first one you'll remember this one forever.

·
Registered
184 Posts
congrats man! I still remember that very first THWAK that I heard! Nobody could have explained that sound to me and how awsome it is. You are hooked!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts