Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did it. :eek: Our archery club has a field course setup, and Ive always been afraid to try it, mostly because of the number of arrows shot, but I wanted to give it a try. After getting a little coaching before I started on scoring, etc... I trekked out and to be honest, had a blast. Its so nice not having to worry about judging yardage, and if wrong, loosing an arrow. In addition, I learned something. My bow has always been setup for 3D open class, 65#'s. Needless to say, I was a little tired when I finished. So I realized I would have to make a decision going forward about the draw weight of my bow. I don't have the cash like all you folks to own more than one bow, so is it gonna be a fast 3D bow, or a lighter poundage Field and Spot bow. It seems to me that you cant really have it both ways. And for a guy like me who sucks at judging yardage, shooting 3D with only 50-55#'s might be a bit difficult, though I could be wrong. So, Ill probably be dropping the weight on my bow, or even ordering new limbs... well see. The big problem is that I'm really concerned about the spine of all my arrows now. Ive invested a ton of money into arrows, and now they wont be right when I change things. :angry:

The difficult part in all this is, is that there are very few Field shoots in the area, Its mostly 3D everywhere you go... Especially with the popularity of the MAC (Midwest Archery Championship). Hopefully there will be more shoots pop up in the area, but it sucks to finally find a round that fits my shooting style, and not have the ability to compete in the area, like the 3D'ers do. :thumbs_do

So, anyway. I had a great time, and I hope to keep doing this, and maybe even succeed somehow at winning an event or two someday... (probably not)

oh, by the way... I shot a terrible 514 with 34's. Anyone think that will improve when I drop the poundage? :dontknow:

Thanks for listening.... :wink:

B~ :darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You can still have it both ways, you just have to work on it...

I'm shooting about 49 lbs at 279 fps...just have to get the right arrow/point combination...but you're likely to have to get new arrows...

I'm sure if you look around enough you'll find places to shoot. Have you been in touch with someone from your state association yet?
http://www.il-archery.com/

Looks like from the website there is field going on, you just need to find it...

I know they used to have a bunch of field in Il, they even used to hold the nationals in Aurora...if its anything like elsewhere, there are still remnants...

What you really need to do is make it happen, you said your club has a field course...get it in shape and hold some shoots, that's what we've done here in NC and though our numbers are still pretty small, its growing...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can still have it both ways, you just have to work on it...

I'm shooting about 49 lbs at 279 fps...just have to get the right arrow/point combination...but you're likely to have to get new arrows...
Thats what I was afraid of... It just makes me completly sick that I worked so hard to get all this stuff, and setup just right, and now I have to change the arrows... frustrating when you cant afford it.

though, If I drop the poundage, that will just make the arrows stiff, not weak, right?

As far as our club goes, its defiantly growing a field following. Hopefully we will hold a couple this year. And the more I look, the more shoots I find, I just have to drive more than I used to for 3D.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Thats what I was afraid of... It just makes me completly sick that I worked so hard to get all this stuff, and setup just right, and now I have to change the arrows... frustrating when you cant afford it.

though, If I drop the poundage, that will just make the arrows stiff, not weak, right?

As far as our club goes, its defiantly growing a field following. Hopefully we will hold a couple this year. And the more I look, the more shoots I find, I just have to drive more than I used to for 3D.

Dropping poundage will make the arrows act stiffer coming out of the bow. You can probably counteract that for the most part by increasing point weight. If your 3-d arrows are like most guys I know you're running 60 or 70 grain points..go to 100 grains and turn the bow down a bit and you'll be golden...

As for changing arrows, watch the classifieds...good arrows can be had for little dollars if you're patient...I just bought 22 CT Hippos (the gold label straight ones) for $65...just need to be patient

Heck offer up a trade even, you'll get some takers most likely...You've probably got some Fatboys, trade them for some lightspeed 3-ds...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dropping poundage will make the arrows act stiffer coming out of the bow. You can probably counteract that for the most part by increasing point weight. If your 3-d arrows are like most guys I know you're running 60 or 70 grain points..go to 100 grains and turn the bow down a bit and you'll be golden...

As for changing arrows, watch the classifieds...good arrows can be had for little dollars if you're patient...I just bought 22 CT Hippos (the gold label straight ones) for $65...just need to be patient

Heck offer up a trade even, you'll get some takers most likely...You've probably got some Fatboys, trade them for some lightspeed 3-ds...
Ill try that with my GT 22's.. that might help.

The tough one are my ACC's. didnt want to have to get rid of them, or anything...

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Brad your very familiar with the classifieds :chortle:

You just need to find something that will work for you for both venues....if your still going to shoot mostly 3D then I would still set up for 3D. You should be able to drop your lbs down to about 60lbs and be fine. There isn't a need to go down to 50-55lbs IMO....even more so if your already used to shooting 65lbs. Yes your shooting more arrows but I am sure that after a bit of practice you would be fine shooting 60+ lbs unless your really shooting more lbs then you should be already :wink:

I am shooting 59 lbs now....I was shooting 57 until today...finally put the bow on a scale the other day :chortle: It doesn't take that long to get used to the lbs....if you made it through the round with your setup.....I am sure if you just increase your arrows shot or length of practice session by shooting like your shooting field you'll be fine. :wink:

But I am glad you gave it a whirl....and see there is nothing to really worry about :D Your score was a good one to start with....you have less ground to cover to start putting out better scores :wink: Do I think turning your lbs down will help your score? Maybe...probably but it probably won't gain you more then a few points or so.

but like Sarge said....you just need to match your lbs to your arrow weight and spine. For some reason Chewies think you have to shoot high lbs to get good speed....when I shot 3D I shot the same lbs I shoot now and still was in the 280s for ASA.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
you'd have to add about 200grs to the 22's to get em to spine.....i wouldnt worry about it with those arrows. if you want to shoot field with the 22's, go ahead. you may sacrifice one or two to the arrow gods, but if that's what is within your budget, use em.

field archery is less about spending money to enjoy the game than it is just getting out and playing the game.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Brad, that's a pretty good score for a first time out. Where were you shooting at? Remember, don't be afraid to look a little northwards for some field shoots as well. Argyle, Beloit, West Allis, Verona and Lake Geneva all host field/hunter events during the summer. Usually some field shoot somewhere in S. WI every weekend starting around mid-May through the state shoot in July. NFAA Outdoor Sectionals are going on just up the road from you in Beloit as well.

>>------>

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brad your very familiar with the classifieds :chortle:

You just need to find something that will work for you for both venues....if your still going to shoot mostly 3D then I would still set up for 3D. You should be able to drop your lbs down to about 60lbs and be fine. There isn't a need to go down to 50-55lbs IMO....even more so if your already used to shooting 65lbs. Yes your shooting more arrows but I am sure that after a bit of practice you would be fine shooting 60+ lbs unless your really shooting more lbs then you should be already :wink:

I am shooting 59 lbs now....I was shooting 57 until today...finally put the bow on a scale the other day :chortle: It doesn't take that long to get used to the lbs....if you made it through the round with your setup.....I am sure if you just increase your arrows shot or length of practice session by shooting like your shooting field you'll be fine. :wink:

But I am glad you gave it a whirl....and see there is nothing to really worry about :D Your score was a good one to start with....you have less ground to cover to start putting out better scores :wink: Do I think turning your lbs down will help your score? Maybe...probably but it probably won't gain you more then a few points or so.

but like Sarge said....you just need to match your lbs to your arrow weight and spine. For some reason Chewies think you have to shoot high lbs to get good speed....when I shot 3D I shot the same lbs I shoot now and still was in the 280s for ASA.
I am familiar with the classifieds, I might have to do some more dealing... Anyone need a used stabilizer?

I did end up turning the poundage down last night, and I feel so much more comfortable shooting, now I just need to figure out how to get the bow balanced so it handles right...

I just dont really see myself shooting much 3D anymore, I just love field and spots that much... but thanks for the encouragement.. Im still gonna keep giving this a try...

you'd have to add about 200grs to the 22's to get em to spine.....i wouldnt worry about it with those arrows. if you want to shoot field with the 22's, go ahead. you may sacrifice one or two to the arrow gods, but if that's what is within your budget, use em.

field archery is less about spending money to enjoy the game than it is just getting out and playing the game.
I cant say Im that worried about the 22's. They werent that well spined from the start anyway... My ACC's are another thing... they are 3-39's with 100g points, and Im not sure what weight I would have to end up with to make them shooting well...

Brad, that's a pretty good score for a first time out. Where were you shooting at? Remember, don't be afraid to look a little northwards for some field shoots as well. Argyle, Beloit, West Allis, Verona and Lake Geneva all host field/hunter events during the summer. Usually some field shoot somewhere in S. WI every weekend starting around mid-May through the state shoot in July. NFAA Outdoor Sectionals are going on just up the road from you in Beloit as well.

>>------>

I have some family up in West Allis, Ill have to start checking out the Wisconsin folks for all these field shoots Ive been hearing about... :thumbs_up

thanks again for the encouragement folks... this field thing is so much better than 3D and it seems to have a totally different kind of following when it comes to people.... :wink:

thanks.. any other suggestions, please let me know... I can use it...

B~:darkbeer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts