Archery Talk Forum banner

My first hickory bow...

3035 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  tonydc220
Well, after building 4 oak board bows (#4 exploded on me yesterday....), I decided to mix it up and try one out of hickory. I don't have pics of the build, but here are a few right before the final sanding and tung oil finish -

Specs - 72" overall, ~45# @ 28", hickory/walnut/purple heart

Self made flemish twist string centered up nicely -

I inlaid the handle with walnut and purple heart for some color -

Here it is at 28" draw on the tillering tree. There is a bit of positive tiller on the right limb which I made the top. I thought about trying to even the tiller a bit more, but I didn't want to lose any more draw weight. It has turned out to be a really good shooter -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
655 Posts
looks good! was it a hickory board or stave? only reason i ask is i am lookin to make a hickory board bow.

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was a board bow. Good staves are hard to come by (and expensive!) here in Alaska. I started this one with a 1x4 of hickory from a local hardwood shop. I cut it down to a 1x2 (3/4 x 1 1/2) and went from there.

Make sure and post pics if you build one! This is getting addicting!

· Registered
655 Posts
very addicting! i have made a red oak board bow and it is awesome!

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That slight hinge didn't show up until right at a full 28" draw. Would it be enough of a concern to put it back on the tree and shave it out or is it livable? I already have a good finish of Tung oil and Breewax which looks great. I'm just not looking forward to refinishing that limb....:sad:

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok,

Yesterday I finished up the brother bow to my first hickory bow. Both of these bows came from the same hickory board and share a lot of the same color and grain.

The first bow was 72" and 45# @ 28". The second started at 72" and I was hoping for 45-50#, but after fighting a bit of limb twist I was down to 40#. Funny thing though...I got a little out of hand with my new belt sander and when I tried to shape the nocks.....well you know :embara:. So, I ended up cutting about 1 1/4" off each limb which brought the weight back up and it finished at 70" and 50# @ 28". Both grips are inlaid with walnut and purple heart with a section of hickory between them.

They both seem to be great shooters. Basically no stacking and very little hand shock. I had some Easton 1916's feather fletched and they seem to be a good combination for both bows.

The grip on the first bow stayed the width of the limbs and the second bow I narrowed the grip by about 1/4".

The first bow (45#) will be a gift for my brother in laws 40th birthday next week and I may just keep the second for myself.

Some pics -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.