Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on this since march from a 10" diameter hickory tree using only hand tools. It's not perfect and I know where my mistakes were, but its my first one and it shoots pretty good. It's 70" nock to nock, and about 55 lbs at 28", I will know for sure when I take it down to the club to put it on the scale tomorrow. almost ready for stain. What do you guys think? Property Floor Room Hardwood Flooring

Furniture Wall Room Table Floor

Wood

Wood Table

Wood

Wood Plywood Floor
Table Property Room Furniture Desk

Eyewear Light Lighting Glasses Architecture

· Registered
4,290 Posts
Bow looks really good. Nice job

· Registered
10,066 Posts
That looks great for a first bow! Seeing the string follow in picture form I'd say that it could have been green, or it could have just been a heavy draw weight on narrow limbs tillered a little quickly. In other words, you did a good job seasoning it.

For your next bow, try three small things: narrow the tips down to about 5 1/6" wide at the shoulder, use a scale to tiller instead of just your eye, and try tempering the belly (there's a how to on my site for the last two).

You have the potential to be a fantastic bowyer!

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks great for a first bow! Seeing the string follow in picture form I'd say that it could have been green, or it could have just been a heavy draw weight on narrow limbs tillered a little quickly. In other words, you did a good job seasoning it.

For your next bow, try three small things: narrow the tips down to about 5 1/6" wide at the shoulder, use a scale to tiller instead of just your eye, and try tempering the belly (there's a how to on my site for the last two).

You have the potential to be a fantastic bowyer!
Thanks Kegan. Yeah I don't have a scale or a tillering tree (I know i can make one and will) so I kinda just eyeballed it the whole way. initially I started tillering it by putting the grip on a saw horse and hanging 65 lbs of weights from the string and the plan was to tiller it down to 28". Well that happened to be right where it fell to begin with, so I lost some of it. got impatient and started tillering with a draw knife and went a little to deep, it could use a little more tillering but I don't want to bring the weight down any more. Alls I know is its not as heavy as 65lbs any more, but its still heavier than my sister's 45 lb recurve. not sure what you mean by 5 1/6" wide at the shoulder? yeah next time I'm going to take my time and do it right. one thing is that i ended up a little narrow. I know most people go 2+" wide at the wides point of the limbs, I ended up at a whisker under 1 3/4" and Im down to half inch at the tips. Thanks again and I have some more reading to do on your site. Im going to do one more hickory bow and then maybe I will try an osage. don't have it around here so I'll probably have to buy a stave. btw if you haven't already you should post a buildalong of a laminate bow one day.

· Registered
2,559 Posts
I find selfbows just amazing. I much admire your patience and craftsmanship.

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
came in at 52lbs @ 28, but i figured out I'm actually drawing 29", so 56lbs. Im happy with it. now to find arrows for it. any reccomendations?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.