Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I don't like the Mathews offerings and I'm purchasing an Alpha max 32- what a bow! I'm used to single cam tuning so I could use some help.

Dumb Questions, (no bashing please)
1. Is the ATA for the AM 32 supposed to be exactly 32"?
2. How do you adjust ATA- Twist the string and cable?
3. What is the best source for Hoyt tuning info?
4. Is there a preferred rest for this bow?

Any other Hoyt tuning advice is appreciated.
Thanks and I will post photos once I get this bow set-up :darkbeer:

· Registered
4,743 Posts
Well I also just bought a alphamax32. I was shooting bowtech general. I still love my general, but man this hoyt is a tack driver! You wont be disappointed. The only thing I found was I took off the string leech and added a small amount of cat whiskers in its place. Made it alot quieter. You can find the tuning info at the hoyt website under tune charts. Thats should give you most of the numbers you need. I use the g5 expert 2 rest. I love that rest. SUPER quiet! Just make sure you get the rest that is made to fit the hoyt riser. Let me know what you think. I promise you wont be disappointed!

· Registered
714 Posts
question,,,,if it says 32 in axle to axle,,why ask what it is suppost to be?
2....say it was 31 15/16 or say it was 32 1/8...would you realy be so narsacistic as to worry about twisting your strinds up,messing your timing up,and throwing things out of whak,,,just to have exactly 32 in ata?

· Registered
156 Posts
Check the tune charts on the HOYT site. A to A depends on the cam and your dl. As usual crambome proving to us all he is a dumb:booty:

· Registered
8,628 Posts
2....say it was 31 15/16 or say it was 32 1/8...would you realy be so narsacistic as to worry about twisting your strinds up,messing your timing up,and throwing things out of whak,,,just to have exactly 32 in ata?
There is really no need for that.....lighten up!!! Just questions from a guy trying to learn about the bow and the sport.:thumbs_do

· Registered
657 Posts
The ATA should be 32 inches plus or minus a 1/16. The Hoyt website has some specs for the Alphamax that are of good use and I believe that there is still some info on the bow tuning topic that has to do with Cam and 1/2 tuning. The twisting of your buss cable will do the majority of your ata adjustment but you need to be concious of the bows timing and cam sync while adjusting. There are alot of great rests out there for the Alphamax it just probably depends most on what you intended uses are. Do a search on Javi's Cam and 1/2 tuning on here and you should have all you need.

· Registered
6,815 Posts
seriously you need to chill... so often i see you have nothing positive to say about anything or to anyone , guy bought a new bow and had some questions he needed answered!

ATA ia adjusted by twisting or untwisting string and or cables, may be a combination of both to obtain bow specs and still keepn the same poundage and draw length...hoyt tune charts will have the info you need.

do a search on cam 1/2 tuning or creep tuning as there are plenty of threads that dicuss it.

there are plenty of good rests on the market today you need to determine whether you want a full containment rest or a drop away, etc., and how much you are concerned with accuracy and ease of setup, tunability, and quietness...a couple i recomend trophy taker SH, G5 expert II, fuse exterminator, but there are plenty of good rests out there!

and congrats on your new bow!

· Registered
99 Posts
Get your tune numbers from the Hoyt charts off their web site for you particular bow/cam/dl/weight.
Then go to the tuning forum and their is a sticky telling you all about how to tune cam and a half bows by Javi.
If you want to get it dialed in near perfect, following the sticky directions will get ya there.

· Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys I see on the Hoyt site that for my draw length ATA is 32 1/2".
I'll keep searching, thanks for the hints.
With no rear peep site on I've already started grouping and busted three nocks already.

Shooting side by side with my DXT tonight they are grouping about the same, though the AM feels faster, haven't chono'd it yet.
I have a feeling when this thing is dialed in it will blow the doors off the DXT.
Can't wait to try this bow out to 50 yards and beyond.

Archers helping archers
that's what I'm talking about

· Registered
2,737 Posts
crambome34, thats not cool!
Not cool and it is a valid question.There are MANY bow configurations in Hoyt's line up with many different actuall A-A,even though they give you an a-a measurement,it is only for certain configurations.

Check out the tune charts on Hoyts site under customer service and tune charts for actuall measurements.

The AM 32 actually ranges from 31 7/8" to 32 1/2",(might be a typo,probably supposed to be 32 3/8" instead of 32 1/2")dependant upon your actuall specs.

· Registered
311 Posts
Do you know what narcissistic means, because you sure can't spell it!:confused::set1_thinking:

· Registered
8,628 Posts
This year I don't like the Mathews offerings and I'm purchasing an Alpha max 32- what a bow! I'm used to single cam tuning so I could use some help.

Dumb Questions, (no bashing please)
1. Is the ATA for the AM 32 supposed to be exactly 32"?
2. How do you adjust ATA- Twist the string and cable?
3. What is the best source for Hoyt tuning info?
4. Is there a preferred rest for this bow?

Any other Hoyt tuning advice is appreciated.
Thanks and I will post photos once I get this bow set-up :darkbeer:
I'm shooting a LimbDriver Pro on my 32 and love it!! I really like this rest, I've had it on a number of Hoyts and it performs flawlessly. Good luck with your new toy.:thumbs_up

· Registered
64 Posts
I currently have a 07 Vectrix and an 08 Katera. Both have limb drivers.

Twisting or untwisting the buss cable will change your ATA. As a general rule do the opposite to your control cable to keep the timing of the cams. A draw board will tell you want you need to know or have a friend watch the stops. Go slow and learn. It will be fun. the worst that can happen is you get it all out of time and your local dealer will be happy to tune it for a price.

Good luck.

· registered
1,028 Posts
tuning

I highly recommend the suggestion in a previous thread to do a search for the material by Javi on tuning cam.5 type Hoyt bows. A friend and I followed that technique when we hadn't done any previous tuning; to date we have tuned the two Hoyts each of us own and also my daughter's for a total of five bows and we have been elated with the results in all cases.

· Registered
3,868 Posts
Do like cubdriver said go to the Bow tuning forum at the top there is a sticky on hoyt cam tuning by JAVI he is the man. Sure do miss him on this forum.:thumbs_up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.