Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,185 Posts
Well, what do you want? I would go with a 4 because of newer cam setup. Just a bit more speed but a different draw cycle. The newer draw stops are really nice as well.

All that said..... I still miss my RX-1.

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,185 Posts
If I was gonna get a Hoyt it would be the ventum. The Rx are nice bows if you don't mind a little vibration.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Not once you load it down with stuff. Oh, if you shoot with an open hand, you'll never feel it.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Not once you load it down with stuff. Oh, if you shoot with an open hand, you'll never feel it.
You obviously don't know how anal I am about felt vibration. I had a Rx4 loaded down and shoot with an open grip and I couldn't handle it. I can definitely feel it. I have a new V3X that has a tiny bit and it's driving me nuts. I'm just weird like that I guess.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Love my RX-3. Smooth draw, but yes, slow in comparison of similar spec bows. The RX-4 added different draw stops to the cams, changed the draw slightly, but that's it. The RX-5 uses the same basic riser as the other two, but gains some weight and the new Binary cam system. It feels different than the other two.

Personally, I would rather have the RX-3 Ultra for the better string angle, but I won this bow so didn't have a say in that.

But if you're going to be shooting from a blind, or tree stand, in very cold weather, the RX-3 or 4 Alphas would be great. The smoothness of the draw will mean no issues with cold muscles, and you don't need the speed of other bows in those situations (30 yards or less).

If neither weight nor riser temp are important to you, then check out the RX-3 and RX-4 brother bows, the Axius and Helix. Both of those come in the Alpha (30" riser) and (Ultra 34"). They use the same cams as their siblings, are about a 1/2 pound heavier, but cost much less.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The 3 and 4 in Ultra were both nice bows. Toss up to me, 4 might be a little better. They do have a little vibe, but the draw is really good. They are heavier than I would prefer.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I have had an RX1, RX3, Axius Ultra, and shot most of the others. If you are looking to go used and save some money then look towards the RX1. I liked it much better than the RX3. The Axuis Ultra is just a bit heavier and just does not feel as good as my RX1.
If you are looking at spending more, than look towards the Ventum. Great bow. I can tell you the new models will be better so if you were looking at going new than I would give it a little time. But if you are going used then look around and find what you like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have owned a few bows in my few years of shooting, and shot tons more. My first bow was an Rx-3 Alpha and it was a shooter. I didnt have a ton of experience shooting before getting one, so my reference as to how the vibration was is skewed, but I didn’t find it that bad. All things considered I have found myself preferring aluminum as TO ME, they seem to be quieter and more dead than carbon.

Dont sleep on the Torrex family either. They shoot well above their price point, and to be honest, I like the Torrex Im shooting now a bit better than my old Rx-3.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
The RX-3 would definitely be my choice. I like the 30.5" ATA length and mostly I like it because it has a "Yoke" which I prefer for Tuning. The RX-3 would be an Excellent choice.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
You should try the V3X 29. It's an awesome bow and shoots great. To me it has a lot smoother draw cycle. If I can get rid of that little bit of vibration I'm feeling this will be my favorite bow.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
You should try the V3X 29. It's an awesome bow and shoots great. To me it has a lot smoother draw cycle. If I can get rid of that little bit of vibration I'm feeling this will be my favorite bow.

The price difference between a used RX3 and a new V3X is a bit much. And sorry, that Mathews draw cycle is not even close to as smooth as the RX3.

Plus, the OP asked about RX3s and other Hoyts, not new Mathews.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The price difference between a used RX3 and a new V3X is a bit much. And sorry, that Mathews draw cycle is not even close to as smooth as the RX3.

Plus, the OP asked about RX3s and other Hoyts, not new Mathews.
You know what they say about opinions. He's a good friend of mine so mind your own. Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have an rx1 and rx3. Just got the 3 and so far I’m really liking it. I’ve had a Triax, vertix, and v3 27. They are all gone and the hoyts remain. The draw cycles are not even comparable. Hoyt wins everyday of the week. I also have had a ventum 30. Heavy and easily prone to torque. Very nice draw, though. That’s my experience with the ventum, but everyone will have their own experiences. I don’t think you will find a better grip than a Hoyt either. This is all personal preferences, except for the draw cycle. I feel certain that is not a preference of mine and every review I’ve watched or read comparing hoyts vs Mathews switch weight cams have been likewise.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I’m waiting to see what Hoyt does to the Ventum replacement December 8th. Probably some small tweaks. I can confirm another 33 ATA is coming so I’m guessing it’s the same platform. But with the carbon line, this is a major change year with a new riser. Not sure what other changes are coming. It’s kept under wraps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts