Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I just went to my pro shop and bought some small game hunting arrow tips. I am going out to hunt a wood chuck in my back yard at 7:00 pm, which is when i usually see them. This may be my first hunt ever! wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!

Make sure your neigbors are not out and make sure a stray arrow will not hit anything or anyone. We don't need another police officer shot in the leg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ARE ya gonna eat it?

My dad made me eat a robin that i killed when i was 7.:D I found out early onn not to kill something unless im gonna eat it. Now if its a pest, that is a different story.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
almost time!
and yes, it is a pest. it eats our guarden, and anyway, my bro needs it for a school project this comming year. He is going to disect it for school, and they have to bring in there own animal. so i am doing 2 good things by killing it!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Haha! Go get 'em Cory! Post a pic when you get him. Like the others said, be very careful, and remember, don't just kill something without a reason. On the other hand, legal, ethical hunting is a BLAST!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
What kind of tips did you get? A blunt especially a rubber one, or a judo probably won't kill it at the poundage you're shooting. At best you'll give it a headache, at worst it'll crawl into it's hole to die slowly from internal injuries. I recommend some old or cheap broadheads for dirt pigs, even at higher poundages.

My part of Ohio was overrun with them and me and my dad used to hunt them when I was a kid. Groundhogs are pretty tough, I've seen one take several .22 rounds and crawl away, my dad's .22-250 use to turn them into red mist though.:D They are great practice in the off season. Although I didn't bowhunt back then trying to sneak up on one to get within handgun range did a lot to improve my stalking skills.

BTW I never tried one myself but the old man down the street from me used to say they were good eatin, especially the younger ones.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got judo tips and am shooting 35 or 40 lbs, not sure. I think it will kill it, and that is what the person said at my shop. :)

ps- no luck yet, i can't get it to come out. will be out all night tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you're going to use judo's try to hit it in the head. Remember you owe it to the game to kill it quickly and cleanly, not have it suffer and die a few days later.

Also, make sure it is dead and not just stunned before you pick it up. Groundhogs may look cute but they have some nasty teeth and claws that are designed for digging.

Good luck and don't forget the pics.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
What pundage are you pulling Cory? With higher draw weights like mine (54 Lbs., 60 for hunting season) a judo produces enough shock to just knock the socks off of small game. I'm guessing with the draw weight you are probably pulling, it will either give them internal injury and make for a slow death, or give them a heckuva headache for a while. We owe to our game a quick, clean kill. Try to get a few cheap broadheads or something if that's all you'll use them for. Short range varmint heads. If you plan on hunting big game in the future, it may well be worth your money to invest in good quality heads. BTW, get fixed blade for stuff like this, and BE CAREFUL!

·
Registered
259 Posts
watch for the wind!!

Cory,

APPI says to watch out for the wind,
Make sure that it is blowing in the right
direction or you may never get the beast!! Wear your CAMO to help hide you from that wild creature of the underground!!!
And most of all APPI says to always be on your guard!!!

And be sure that you tag your game!!!
Keep us posted on your hunt, YOU BEAST HUNTER YOU!!!!:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
archery1 said:
my bro needs it for a school project this comming year. He is going to disect it for school, and they have to bring in there own animal.
I'm confused...what do you plan on doing? Sticking the carcass in the freezer until school starts in the fall??

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I am sorry but that is just wrong for a kid to have to bring thier own animal to dissect at school. I think it is sick and disgusting. carrying a dead animal to school in your backpack. Real nice. ?????????????????????? :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Cory.

Judo tips were invented by a traditional shooter for practice shooting at stumps, trees, brush etc.
They are not meant for hunting and will probably just injure the ground hog.
Get some broadheads or expandables if you want to kill it.
You might be better off getting some paper plates and drawing some pics of a ground hog on them if you just want to shoot something for fun.

Sag.

·
When's bow season start?
9,034 Posts
Just think if some kid brought in a dead horse to dissect! :D

Here's hoping Punxsatawney Phil's cousin never sees what hit 'em!

Brian

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
WELL DID YOU MAKE POPE & WOOD CHUCK:D ,LET US KNOW IF YOU GOT IT, WE ARE IN SUSPENSE.I MAY HAVE TO START DOING SOME WOOD CHUCK STALKING MYSELF.(god is it not hunting season yet!!)DONT FORGET TO POST A PIC OF YOUR TROPHY.I THINK A SCHOULDER MOUNT WOULD BE NICE CORY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whistlepigs with a bow is FUN!!!

Im new here been reading through though and finally decided to post. Ive killed two groundhogs this summer so far without much effort. I use judo points for the simple fact that if i do miss that it will catch in the grass instead of skipping off into the wild blue yonder.... both of the ones i killed were shot with judo tips and the tips went completely through and into the ground on the other side. I am not familiar with your setup but I am shooting a Mathews Black Max 2 at 68 pounds and with a 385 grain arrown im getting 310 fps so it hammers with some serious kinetic energy. If you have the kinetic energy to get through them go with a judo tip if your lacking the energy though you may want to check adder points or something... it great stalking practice and FUN!!! Happy huntin.... keep em in the bull!!!!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Big Country said:
DUDE, do you have anything nice to say to this young boy?

Grow up!

Any questions?
First of all, I do not think Brad said anything bad to the youngster. He was just expressing his opinion of how disgusting it is to have to bring your own animal to school for dissection. I'd love to know what school system in NY allows that. Next, you'll have kids all over the neighborhood killing cats to bring in.

Cory, second....you said you are shooting in your backyard.....if you are in city limits I would check and see if it is legal. I'd know if I discharged a bow in city limits, I'd have my bow taken away. Not a good thing.

Scoobs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts