Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Archery season is roughly a month away...what can i do to help my chances for the upcoming season? it's gonna be my first but here is what i've planned out. Scout first. Then find an area for a good stand...take a rake and rake around all the oak trees within a certain distance to uncover hidden acorns. I'm gonna make mock scrapes with the rake and put a dripper on them. I'm gonna spray down everything with scent eliminator and put out a few licks and pours some molasses in the surrounding areas on trees near the bottom. Anything else that might help? I'ts too late to plant anything but will do that next year. There are turkeys on the refuge next to use but have yet to see any around our land...will planting chufa draw them in?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Hey P8ntball, Leave the rake at home...the deer's noses will find the acorns with no problem;) . Just do some scouting, find a good, well used food source, spray yourself with scent eliminator spray, hang a stand on a trail that leads toward a food source or bedding area (downwind) and the rest will take care of itself. I wouldn't worry about all the other techniques too much.

Good Luck
JP

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Dont forget to practice so you can hit
something if you shoot at it,hunt hard, hunt safe
just hunt!!!!!:)

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
yep leave the rake at home and like coyote said practice , practice ,practice!!!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
The more you muck up an area, the more scent you are apt to leave.

Also, check out the arial maps from Mapquest or one of those services before you go in if you are not real familiar with the area. It's nice to know what it looks like from above.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
p8ntballnryan,
I agree with the others....scout, practise, practise and when the opportunity comes....take the first good shot that you get. Being the first year, first time bowhunting, you need the experience of taking a deer with your bow.

Too many guys get "peer pressured" into waiting to shoot a buck and go through the season empty handed. Empty handed by means of no experience of taking a deer isn't a very encouraging first season. There's a lot to be learned when you release that first arrow. Enjoy it all!!! :)

If you get a chance, hunt some small game before the deer season gets here. This will give you some experience with your hunting equipment, shot angles, when to draw, when to shoot, what happens when you shoot and how long you should wait according to where your arrow hit the animal you're hunting.

Welcome to the "ranks" of bowhunting! :cool:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
916 Posts
Conditioning

Be in the best shape you can be. Just breathe correctly and don't freak!:D
Out for now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts