Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sent out my deposit for my first ever Midwest hunt with my dad!!! We're going to be hunting with Illinois trophy bowhunters on there mcully farm lease its always been a dream of mine to go to Illinois were going November 14-21 does anyone have suggestions or tips for me?

·
Registered
646 Posts
mid west hunt

Be prepared to walk a ways to get to your stands. Not sure where your from but one of the biggest changes I started doing was carrying outer layers and getting dressed at the base of my tree. Kept me from over heating on my walk.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Best tip I can give....Get GREAT at field Judging deer!! I can tell you I have looked at deer in other states that I thought were small and other guys see them as giants...Im talking 130" deer, in the midwest on my farms those get the free pass. So come here to shoot the 150" deer or bigger. Just because they look big to YOU doesnt mean they are big for the AREA.

Everyone comes to the midwest to kill a GIANT but be realistic with the outfitter on what you are expected to see. If he can almost guarantee you a 150", set your mind on that and if something bigger arrives take it if you get the chance.....And bring a good padded seat for those all day sits....

·
kill'n deer, drink'n beer
9,757 Posts
so your hunting 2 days of bow hunting and 3 days of gun? that is a great time to hunt. I see tons of action over those 5 days

·
BowhunterT100
6,534 Posts
be ready to set all day do all shooting you can do so you can make the shot when it happens and also have fun and good luck

·
Registered
526 Posts
You have to put the time in the stand. You paid for this. Don't leave and say u wish u could have hunted longer, but you got out of the stand everyday at noon. I believe the deer move more during the day too during that period plus I believe that is a full moon week so deer will be moving more during the day than morning or afternoons. What I always tell my clients is dont pass something you would shoot on the last day. You never know if u will get a chance. Either weather or the deer that you want to shoot won't come in range. Illinois is great. I guide in pike county. Good luck and hunt hard. The above tips are helpful too!

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
Dont get down if you have a slow day. A morning where you don't see a deer can turn into the best hunt of your life in minutes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Everyone comes to the midwest to kill a GIANT but be realistic with the outfitter on what you are expected to see. If he can almost guarantee you a 150", set your mind on that and if something bigger arrives take it if you get the chance.....And bring a good padded seat for those all day sits....
Who out there can almost guarantee a 150"?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Make sure you have options in clothing as it could be 20 and clear in the morning 45 at noon with light rain and 30 in the evening with snow! Illinois has some weird weather patterns. And be prepared to wait it out. Hope you have a great time and let us know how it goes and pics. I would love to be in your shoes but can't afford it right now.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Congrats and good luck to you.

Two tips:

Do not get tunnel vision and think the shot is going to be like TV. It could, but most likely not.

Practice sitting down, standing up, shooting off angle, behind you, sitting and twisting right and left. You will be glad you did.

Have an awesome hunt and time!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Be patient and smart is the best words of advise. I come from the northern part of WI where a 110" deer is a good deer, and that is decent but nothing to show off in SW WI. Ask the guide what is expect, and what is considered norm for the area. If you shoot a 90" deer and 130" is norm, most people wont be to happy with you. So get use to shooting in tight holes through brush, judging deer on the hoof, and hunt smart.

Also, as some said about the weather. It can suck down here that time of the year, but you still need to sit. I shot my buck last year after sitting in 37 degree temps with consistently light rain, and about 25 mph winds. Believe me, I was cold and almost got down a half dozen times. But when my buck stepped out, it was all worth it.

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
Shoot what makes you happy as long as its legal. Have fun and enjoy.

"The streets of heaven are paved with the blood of heroes"

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Who out there can almost guarantee a 150"?
I bet there are farms out there that you could easily do this in the midwest if you put the time in the stand....and being an outfitter he should know his farms inside and out. I know I am not an outfitter in the midwest and I let 150's walk but this is the midwest....

The point to my post was to see what the average size deer is in the area, so if he manages well and only allows 140'ers to be shot, then a 150 could be very reasonable. Some outfitters have restrictions or you pay a fee. And hunting in the midwest is WAY different than hunting in N.J. average size of deer goes up incredibly.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Don't walk the property like it's a March shed hunting trip. Use Google Earth to pre-scout the property. This, of course, is on the assumption that you won't be hunting out of pre-hung stands.

As others have said; sit all day, every day.

Just have fun and take it all in. You'll never top the electricity you feel on that first trip.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This is true. They pushed it back from last year
No one "pushed it back". 1st Gun season is always the Fri/Sat/Sun a week before Thanksgiving and Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun a week after Thanksgiving. 1st season just happens to start on Nov 22 this year. 2nd season starts on 12/5.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Congrats on your hunt. The only thing I can tell you is expect not to shoot a deer. Seriously. The only thing you should set your mind on is having fun, hunting hard and spending time with your dad. Too many guys go on paid hunts and expect to shoot a big deer every time. When they dont, their po'd and dissapointed. It doesn't happen that way. I hunt IL 90 days a year, on great ground and I hunt hard. Most years I fill my tags, sometime I don't. Now, take just a week out of that time and that's what a paid hunt is like.

If you set your sights on having fun and seeing animals, you will be much better off in the long run. If you are lucky enough to get a shooter within range, make the best of it and be very thankful for the experience.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you kill a giant. Just have realistic expectations and have fun. Taking home an animal is just icing on the cake. Best of luck to you and our dad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts