Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think? Feel free to point out any deficiencies and/or things that look well done. This was done by a guy I know that has worked for a couple years at a taxidermy shop. The owner is over 80 yrs old and this guy is trying to build up his client list and prove his work so when the time comes he can take over...

This is the first mount that I have ever had done so my eye isn't really trained at what to look for as far as it being well done. He's a good guy so I figured I would give him a shot. Only cost me $250.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Great lookin mount and especially for the price, i wish i had someone in my area that done that good that cheap he would get all my work

·
NOCK ON!!!
2,886 Posts
Looks a 100 times better than the $250 mount I had done. 1st. buck with my bow and had a so called taxidermist do it for me. Got it back and the cape looked like Swiss Cheese. Holes in the hide and it looked like crap totally. Luckily I had a local taxidermist that had an extra cape and he mounted it. Looks excellant!! Do your homework on selecting taxidermists!! You'll be happy you did!! Trophies deserve it!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Very nice! If the ears were maybe going back instead of forward, the antlers would be more distinct. Either way - I'm sure it was a great hunt and now you can look at him forever!! Attaboy!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
great mount , i hope that isn't its home . Belongs in the living room where the wife can enjoy it also.
Just sayin.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone...that won't be it's home for very much longer. Just needed a place to put it tonight.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Looks good. What I look for is, does it look like it did when I last saw it alive and is there a seam.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Looks great from the pic. can't really see all the detail from that distance but you got your money. Like the fact he didn't over paint the ears. But Id say it a winner.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I like it

·
Let the Arrow Fly
5,487 Posts
looks better than soem 500+ mounts ive seen...it all depends on what form maker he uses. some deer forms the eyes look buggy and the mouth look like the deer could be smiling. but this mount looks good.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Looking good.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think nose might be a little shiny. I have 1 with a shiny nose and 1 the taxi did a great job detailing the nose. The detailed 1 is much better in my opinion. Good looking deer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts