Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
G5 killing machine
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got me a bird. Was hunting with my bow, was around 8am when I seen 3 jakes come in. I was in the shade and was really cold so moved into the sun and figured since I wasn't seeing anything it wouldn't hurt. So I'm out in the open, have my gear all over the place. My hen decoy is almost next to me. Due to the fact that I have relocated. So now I'm sun bathing. lol. Next thing I know I see 3 turkeys coming my way. I Try to move back but couldn't. Thought for sure I was spotted because they disappeared. So I'm try to find some kind of cover so if they do come back I won't scare them. Well I moved a tiny bit. Looked up and they were right there in front of me now instead of to my right. So here I am stuck, no cover, no blind, no nothing. Figured all was lost. So I called alittle. Saw them coming my way. Then they disappeared again. This time I moved to my left a little hoping that would work. I saw there heads and they all gobbled so I knew they were males. Next thing I know, one is to my left and two are right in front of me. One comes in fast and I'm sure he sees me, so I draw back and looked for a beard. I saw it and I let her fly. The turkey flew off and landed about 20 yards from me. I didn't see my arrow in it so figured it was still alive. As I seen two birds there walking around. Thinking that third one was still to my left some wheres. So I'm like ok I missed. So the second bird starts to come in and something told me not to shoot. So I played with him with my calls. He finally got tired and left. I saw two leave. So I waited a bit and finally went to go look for that bird. I found him 20 yards from where I was sitting on the ground. The arrow went right threw him. Was so exciting. Just wanted to share this with you gals. He weight about 18 lbs. Beard size not sure didn't measure it. I know it was a young bird. Cooked it up for dinner and it was tasty. Not gamy at all. Taste just like the store bought kind. Heres a pic. Don't mind my goofy look. I pulled the netting down below my chin. lol

·
G5 killing machine
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. It was truly a blast. Never had anything like that happen to me. (I went back out this morning. Heard one but couldn't get him to come in.) Figured the turkey had to have been 5 or so yards from me. Not good with measuring things. Just know it was super close to me. You could smell it, thats how close he was. lol.

When we cleaned the turkey we took off all the skin off. So was it looked like a store bought turkey but with no skin. lol. We cooked it up just like a regular one. Salt, pepper, garlic, just a bunch of different seasonings, just like you would for turkey day. To be honest I was the last person to try it. I was scared to death it was going to taste gamy like deer meat. I was shocked, it didn't taste like that at all. I've never had wild turkey before. But have heard they are greasy, tough and gamy. Not this guy. All I can say is, MMM MMMM GOOD lol.

I have one more tag left so hopefully I can fill that one before the season ends. Which is at the end of may. Thanks again guys. :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Congrats on a job well done!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Congrats!!!! Nice Jake and what a story!!!!!
Try breasting out your next bird and cutting the meat into 1" strips...like Chicken Fingers.
Coat with a Beer or Tempura batter and deep fry in Peanut Oil....it's spectacular!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts