Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at risk of sounding like a clutz or an idiot, here is my story.........I use a Lone Wolf hand climber and have for the last several years. I love the thing and have never once felt even close to being unsafe or in a situation that I did not feel secure. Well yesterday I was about 18 feet up and I spotted some movement over my left shoulder about 70 yards through some thick woods. I was only catching a glimpse of deer legs so I started leaning to look under a branch and try to identify buck or doe, direction they were moving and such when I guess I leaned too far...................My seat tipped and basically threw me off the side of my stand! :mg: Before I knew what happened, I was face down, hanging by my harness with my legs still on the base. I was able to work my way back up onto the base completely and what could have been a lot of pain at the very least, and loss of life at the worst, turned out to be not a big deal. :clap:

After all the commotion, the deer were gone, but more moved through about ten minutes later. The kicker about this story is that until two years ago, I had never worn a harness mostly because they were a hassle and I didn't really know much about them. I have been in a tree countless times and have never even had a close call until yesterday. It was all the stories I have heard about people falling and the realization that my wife and kids would never forgive me, that I decided to start wearing one, ALL THE TIME. I am thanking the good Lord today that I had it on and that I am not in the hospital or worse.

WEAR YOUR HARNESS!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
WOW! Thanks for sharing. Did you have your hand climber strapped to the platform via the stablizer straps?

Can I ask which harness you were wearing? Thanks again.
Dan

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW! Thanks for sharing. Did you have your hand climber strapped to the platform via the stablizer straps?

Can I ask which harness you were wearing? Thanks again.
Dan
The stabilizer straps were not hooked up.....................last time that will happen! It was one of the cheap harnesses that came with one of the Gorilla hang ons I bought a couple years ago.

·
Registered
808 Posts
yea im big on saftey harness glad you had it on to many say it will never happen to them i got a few guys i know ive tried to get them to buy one but they want to spend there money on trucks and fourwheelers and stuff say they hate to spend the money for the harness well a small accident one day they will be no truck an fourwheel fun only heartache and despair.Im not going to set an call them fools for not wearing for i too only started a few years ago but i dont see how i ever made it without one the security it gives is worth a whole lot and i am a wiser man no doubt for wearing one as are you my friend

·
Registered
25,069 Posts
i just wish i could find one that not such a pain in the azz. with the one i have i cant take shots to my right at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you are safe, scary. Looking back, do you think you did something differently that caused you to fall? I use a hand climber too and just curious.
I just leaned over too far. If you don't have weight on the seat, it will loosen very easily.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Glad to hear you are fine. Believe me, it is worth the hassle. I don't understand why people don't wear them. I guess when they fall and nearly die, they might wear one. But, then again, they might not be able to enjoy hunting again.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
i just wish i could find one that not such a pain in the azz. with the one i have i cant take shots to my right at all.
I don't understand what you are talking about. As a right handed shooter, it is hard to shoot to the right no matter the stand you are in. I don't see how a LW stand could make it any harder, or any other stand could make it easier. Only thing that would make it easier is if you were in a monster ladder stand with one of those swivel seats.

Edit: Maybe you are talking about the harness being a pain in the butt? That makes a little more sense. I put mine usually a couple feet above my head if possible. Or as low as possible, but that is not as safe as if you fall you will fall farther, so that there is nothing directly behind me that prevents any arm movement. If that makes sense, my straps are either above or below where my arm movement is.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I just leaned over too far. If you don't have weight on the seat, it will loosen very easily.
Got ya. I am not trying to place any blame on you, just trying to learn for myself here, but do you think that if you had the stabilizer straps hooked up this would not have happened? Thanks again and glad you are alright.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Glad you are ok.
I just started wearing one this year. I have a few and never wore them, basically because I mainly use ladder stands. This year, I am getting into lock ons and climbers and decided I had better start wearing them, even if they are just the cheap ones that come with the stands. Its better than nothing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Talked to a fellow that did a lot of parachuting. The closest call he had was after he had triple digit jumps. Then he was so comfortable jumping he dismissed the normal safety process. He also had a jump partner that jumped from the plane without his chute. When we first start to hunt from heights we are normally very careful after we get comfortable is when we make the mistakes that can kill us.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i have been hunting out of tree since I was 8 years old. I'm 46 now and until last year I never wore a harness. Last year I seen the light when a new friend I met told me his story. About 6 years ago, He fell 20 feet and broke his back. He laid there for 16 hours. Nobody knew where he was at. He was like me and would take off and tell no one where he was hunting and never dreamed it would happen to him. He was very lucky that a farmer just happened to see his 4 wheeler parked and heard him yelling for help. He did recover and can walk now but he spent 3 months thinking he never would. I will never leave the ground now for any reason without one now. I' a converted harnessahollic. I realize how stupid I had been all them years I was hunting without one. If anybody is hunting without one, your days could be numbered.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
even if they are just the cheap ones that come with the stands. Its better than nothing.[/QUOTE]

They work, I have experienced it. I think there are ones that are easier to use, but the one I am wearing was the right price. Once you get the routine down, it is just part of the process like everything else we do to get set up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got ya. I am not trying to place any blame on you, just trying to learn for myself here, but do you think that if you had the stabilizer straps hooked up this would not have happened? Thanks again and glad you are alright.
I don't know if the straps would have prevented it, I think once my weight was too far to the edge of the seat it would have tipped anyway. I was caught up in the moment and not paying attention. I never expected it to happen just like every other time I have been in a stand and nothing happened. I have always been sure footed and have never had a problem with heights. This proved to me that I'm not invincible after all!

·
Registered
25,069 Posts
I don't understand what you are talking about. As a right handed shooter, it is hard to shoot to the right no matter the stand you are in. I don't see how a LW stand could make it any harder, or any other stand could make it easier. Only thing that would make it easier is if you were in a monster ladder stand with one of those swivel seats.

Edit: Maybe you are talking about the harness being a pain in the butt? That makes a little more sense. I put mine usually a couple feet above my head if possible. Or as low as possible, but that is not as safe as if you fall you will fall farther, so that there is nothing directly behind me that prevents any arm movement. If that makes sense, my straps are either above or below where my arm movement is.
ya i was talking harnesses. i have one my uncle gave me, one that came with my summit and some otherone and i couldnt take a easy shot to the right to save my life. i put it as high as i can and still sit down doesnt help much. onyl way i can take ashot to the right is if i sit on the front rail of my summit. then i can take shott o the right.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts