Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after shooting homemade bag targets that I have made out of seed bags forever, I thought I would try something that I thought might last a little longer, and look better. What do you all think?

This is the completed framework. The target face opening is 30" x 30". I used a piece of expanded metal grate in the bottom so that it does not hold water. My son of course is helping dad out.

This is what it looked like once I added the chicken wire.

Packed full of various plastic materials - wal-mart sacks, styfoam packing, plastic wrap, old tarp material, old seed bags......pretty much anything that was plastic and sitting around got tossed in because it took a considerable amount of material to fill it.

I stuck some concrete paver blocks on top to help keep it packed, I figure after a while shooting it will settle and I will have to add more material.

With the roof on.

With the roof in the open position. This is how I get in there to add more material, and repack as necesary.

The finished product from the front......I added the carpet to help keep water out, and it smoothed it up for attaching the target faces.

And from the back........it is basically two sided, either side can be shot.

I haven't shot it a lot, I just finished it this afternoon but it is packed super tight, the arrows only go in about 3 inches or so, and pull out super easy. Hopefully this will last longer than my bag targets, they didn't fare to well out in the weather. I guess time will tell.:wink:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Looks neat...wondering how your arrows will hold up with the Chicken wire though?

Keep us informed on how it holds up!!:wink:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm with *******. My arrows hitting the chicken wire kinda concerns me. Are you shooting carbon or alum?

Let us know how it works out. As much as we spend at walmart, I'd never have to send money on another target.:)

·
(aka lug nut)
48,365 Posts
Aggie94 said:
I'm with *******. My arrows hitting the chicken wire kinda concerns me. Are you shooting carbon or alum?

Let us know how it works out. As much as we spend at walmart, I'd never have to send money on another target.:)
You can use "plastic" chicken wire.

It's called plastic wire fencing and comes in rolls.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
nuts&bolts said:
You can use "plastic" chicken wire.

It's called plastic wire fencing and comes in rolls.

Wow never thought of that one...dur...:confused:

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Excellent work!

I think the chicken wire is a great idea. With bullet points on aluminum arrows it should hold up okay.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
that target looks great, let us know how it performs. I would suspect it will do fine.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
the chicken wire doesn't matter at all unless you shoot an arrow w/o a point or insert at all...nice job

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
great work

we still have 2 chicken wire targets that stay out side and have been around over 10 yrs now, with seconds nylon stockings from the old mill where my mom used to work it stays out year round down at the edge of the woods. you did your work and it will be great for feild points. but word of caution the wire damages the blades on broadheads but moves aside on feildpoints. nice job since you can move it out of the rain it will last for many years to come now have fun you deserve it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the comments.

It is a field point only target, I do not plan on shooting broadheads into it. I am going to make a different one for that with some of the broadhead fiberboard stuff they sale.

As far as the chicken wire, I was figuring that the field point would push it out of the way before the arrow got there. I plan on keeping an eye on my arrows to see if it is scrathing them up or not, if so I will take it off and use the plastic stuff..........I just had this stuff laying around.

The color..........well I don't really like it either but it was the best color of "extra paint" that I had laying around, it was that, some light pink color, or a really bright blue. Besides I don't plan on sticking it in the living room or anything.....although I would if the wife would let me, that would sure beat going outside on those cold days!:wink:

All in all it cost me absolutely nothing, it was all scrap 2x4 pieces I had, and everything else was stuff I just had piled up somewhere figured I would put it to some good use.

I could put flames on it, I have some left over paint from a derby car that I helped my nephew paint last year.....he wanted flames so I had to help him out. Although it would look horible with that ugly brown..:sad:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I would use solid on bottom. As long as not waterproof.. you are ok. I am concerned that it is a way to let mice and hornets in.. Of course that may be fun also...

I would drop metal wire and go with road fabric. Where I shoot uses this and it works great.

Old jean type material holds up even better than plastic.

I like the blocks on top. another way is to just screw a top on that can be undone.

I am making one similar.. but it is about 8' tall and 4' wide.. I am thinking of covering the wood edges with thick foam that may stop a bad shot from sticking in wood.

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
i have all wooden frames around my targets after 4 years in the range they look like theyve been attacked by a flock of woodpeckers.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
if you have to worry about getting a bad shot off in a 4X8 foot area, you got bigger problems than an arrow sticking in the wood.........lol :rolleyes:

just teasing you a little metalarcher.....:wink:

it would be nice to have something that big for 2 or 3 shooters. i'm a carpet installer and have larger pieces of scrap quite often. i've been wanting to build one with layers of carpet and pad pressed in a frame but i never have time to build it.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
CntrlIaHunter, You need one of these. I use it for my avatar in another forum.

Nice backstop Studerp, I like the price!

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nice job, lets see some pics of it in action. I would like to see what kind of penetration you are getting into that.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Oxford said:
cool but it needs pin stripping and perhaps flames :D

good job
OX
That's what I was thinking!

Looks kind of plain:)

Neat idea and nice job!! I am planning on making me a permanent back yard target as soon as I get the time:rolleyes: Whenever that is? Hunting season is just around the corner:)

1 - 20 of 130 Posts