Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to hunt and typically become obsessed with it this time of year, but i have to say this year is different. There have been some events in the recent past that make me step back and look at life in a different way and re-prioritize things.

I haven't hunted a lot this year like i usually do, schedule conflicts got in the way. But honestly I didn't feel like I was dying to get in the woods like I normally would. Don't get me wrong, I love to hunt and it will be a lifelong passion of mine. This past weekend I was sitting there and really enjoying myself. I like the quietness of the woods, I like seeing the animals that live there, i like shooting deer, and I really enjoy being alone with my thoughts. I had a series of thoughts that just hit me hard. Hunting isn't the most important thing to me, shooting my bow isn't the most important thing to me either, but God is my priority, my wife is my priority, my family is my priority. Looking back on my life in 50 years this one single hunt will be insignificant and likely forgotten about, but those moments with loved ones is irreplaceable. there have been so many moments in my relationship with my wife that would have been seemingly insignificant but i find that they are some of our most fond memories.

I love to hunt, and i love shooting deer, but I realize my source of joy is outside of hunting. Hunting is a source happiness, but not joy for me. I really don't know what purpose there is in posting this but just felt like sharing with you guys. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Each person has their own priorities and I don't think anyone should try to push their opinion on others. If you have found things besides hunting that bring you joy, or more joy, than I think its smart to focus on those.

I would say this. My wife and my dogs bring me far more joy than the deer stand / hunting in the grand scheme of life. I look forward to spending time with my wife and pups after work each night and on most weekends. However, there are 365 days of the year. If I spend say 10% of my time hunting or working on the hunting property, that still leaves me with almost 330 days a year to enjoy my loved ones. Some people meditate, some people do crosswords, some people go get massages, some people watch TV...my form of getting away from regular life and being able to just not think about anything else in the world is when I am hunting. For me, its almost a need just so I can unplug from my family business (employees, customers, vendors, etc.) or even things going on in my personal life.

Not to mention, I love a good steak, but that doesn't mean I want it for every meal. Changing up life and getting away from my daily personal junk allows me to recharge the batteries and recalibrate life.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
As for your post.... priorities, our views on life, what's important, and everything else tend to evolve, change, move around, and sometimes end up back where they started, or at least parts of it do.

Can't blame you one bit for enjoying time with your wife and your dogs. I'm getting ready to head out for a walk around our farm with my wife and three dogs myself. It's a rather enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man I made my wife read the first two post because it is exactly how I feel. Love hunting really want to get out but family will take priority.
that's awesome! selfishly in years past i really let hunting take priority and missed out on some good quality time i could have spent with loved ones. i will continue to hunt but not always at the expense of what is truly important to me

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I've had a lot of health (heart) issues come about the past year or so. It makes me rethink some things in life and hunting is one of them. I don't dream about a big buck I'm getting on cam, I let me son do that now. Great post, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2021 Hoyt Ventum 30
23 Posts
And did she notice that the second posters name is WifeHatesMe?? LOL
Ha! No I didn't even notice until I read your post. Funny thing is she found out she was pregnant with our third child when I was whitetail hunting on veterans day 2020. That was a big unplanned surprise. Had to much to drink one night at the campground.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had some similar revelations recently.
This is my second to last semester of school and things have been very busy with that and school. I had been thinking about my lack of being able to hunt and started to feel a lot of remorse and regret for that, and the times I was able to hunt I didn't see very much.

So that had me thinking about how I lost touch this year, usually whenever I am hunting I take it as a time of reflection and a lot of prayer. It is a really good way for me to reconnect my relationship with God and to pray for others. I got so caught up in not being able to hunt and with my current lack of success, that I lost the entire point of why I hunt which is to 1: further my praying relationship with God and 2: somehow become better at providing food for my family if a time of persecution comes in our lifetime. I feel pretty ashamed of that, but thankfully God led me down the logical path to figure that out and I am able to repent.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We all have to prioritize what's important. For some, it's their job, others' family, whatever it is. Hunting is beyond a hobby for me. It's a passion. Since I was a little kid I could think and dream of being nothing other than a PA state trooper when I grew up. Through college, that's all I wanted to be. Then I applied and got to the background investigation. I knew I'd pass no problem always living a clean life, but every trooper I know works 70+ hrs a week. That's doesn't work with hunting. So I gave it up. I'm not working the prime years of my life away when I can climb mountains and dive in swamps now. I still make great money, and only work 3 days a week. We all have to prioritize what's important

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Priorities stay or change as life stays the same or changes. Fulfillment is what’s important. What will fulfill us when we look back on our lives at the hour of our death? That’s what’s truly important in my mind. Hunting is part of it, but not the heart of it.

·
Vendor
26,465 Posts
Things and priorities do change over the years. My daughter was born November 9th. The day before her birth I was hunting as it was the first weekend of gun season 40 years ago. November 10th I was back in the woods as I hadn't tagged out yet.
40 years later. I planned on hunting today but my daughter and 3 granddaughters ask if I would go to the zoo for the festival of lights. They are beautiful.... my granddaughters that is. The lights were O.K.. I love spending time with the girls as much as hunting. ;)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
i don't have a wife and kids, but i have a little mutt i adopted 14.5 years ago when he was 1.5 years old and was abandoned

he now has arthritis that prevents him from easily doing things without pain, and no one else can care for him like i do and i am his security

i only hunted half days this year (usually mornings) because helping him and making his life better means more to me than a booner buck

he's been totally devoted to me all these years, so it is the least i can do for him now

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Enjoy what you have in front of you today.... whether it be the hunting... or the wife. It may be gone tomorrow.

A person typically has a somewhat thought out plan for their future. But the truth is, none of us can even fathom how much our life can, and probably will, change in 5 years... or 1 year... or tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I love to hunt and typically become obsessed with it this time of year, but i have to say this year is different. There have been some events in the recent past that make me step back and look at life in a different way and re-prioritize things.

I haven't hunted a lot this year like i usually do, schedule conflicts got in the way. But honestly I didn't feel like I was dying to get in the woods like I normally would. Don't get me wrong, I love to hunt and it will be a lifelong passion of mine. This past weekend I was sitting there and really enjoying myself. I like the quietness of the woods, I like seeing the animals that live there, i like shooting deer, and I really enjoy being alone with my thoughts. I had a series of thoughts that just hit me hard. Hunting isn't the most important thing to me, shooting my bow isn't the most important thing to me either, but God is my priority, my wife is my priority, my family is my priority. Looking back on my life in 50 years this one single hunt will be insignificant and likely forgotten about, but those moments with loved ones is irreplaceable. there have been so many moments in my relationship with my wife that would have been seemingly insignificant but i find that they are some of our most fond memories.

I love to hunt, and i love shooting deer, but I realize my source of joy is outside of hunting. Hunting is a source happiness, but not joy for me. I really don't know what purpose there is in posting this but just felt like sharing with you guys. Happy hunting!
good post and good perspective

no one thing is worth wrecking other things in your life

we aren't hungry (i hope) for deer meat in a literal sense, so hunting is the icing on the cake

i took 2 weeks off total for my rut vacation this year, but a few times the weather got warm

so, i called my supervisor (who thankfully is also a hunter and just a decent guy) and explained "hey, i'm gonna move a few days around so i can work when it is warm and hunt during cold fronts"

he understood, and, frankly, going into work a few times mid rut vacation actually helped me not get burned out and helped me enjoy more the days i was hunting

after getting up every morning at 4 am to hunt, sleeping in to 630 am to get up for work felt like sleeping in :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts