Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I enjoyed reading your post, so much better than some of the nonsense on here.
All I wanted to do when I was younger was to be in a treestand. I did blow off work and some family time. As I ripened with age, that changed and I wanted to be with them. I think that happens to most of us.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, best to you....

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I hope to feel the way you do some day.

I’ve probably prioritized hunting too much which has caused me to miss some important things.
I'm sure you will. I usually do and same thing with shooting 3D tournaments every weekend. My wife has made a lot of sacrifices for me to hunt and shoot archery and I just feel like it's time I focus on her and our relationship. After the passing of my grandfathers it makes me value my family time more and I don't want to miss anymore holidays with my family because I never want to regret choosing something over family not knowing it would be the last chance with them

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i don't have a wife and kids, but i have a little mutt i adopted 14.5 years ago when he was 1.5 years old and was abandoned

he now has arthritis that prevents him from easily doing things without pain, and no one else can care for him like i do and i am his security

i only hunted half days this year (usually mornings) because helping him and making his life better means more to me than a booner buck

he's been totally devoted to me all these years, so it is the least i can do for him now
that's awesome man! dogs really do become a part of the family

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I enjoyed reading your post, so much better than some of the nonsense on here.
All I wanted to do when I was younger was to be in a treestand. I did blow off work and some family time. As I ripened with age, that changed and I wanted to be with them. I think that happens to most of us.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, best to you....
thank you, i appreciate that. after losing both of my grandfathers i want to not miss special traditions with my grandmothers. that time spent with them is worth more to both them and myself than any buck on the wall

·
Registered
210 Posts
There’s always going to be another dance recital or family gathering, but the arthritis might catch up to you and you won’t be able to climb a tree forever. It’s more fun to live 20 feet up than under her thumb

·
Registered
340 Posts
With 2 kids now, it has changed for me. I love hunting, but am focusing more on other things. I used to go stir crazy any moment in fall i wasn't in the woods. Now I don't get that, as much at least. Most likely losing my hunting land this year. Would love to find a place of my own, but money is tight and land is expensive as ever. If public is only option, I may barely hunt next year. Fish more, and find more family time. I've gotten really into gardening, and love fishing as well. I've gotten better over the years, but after kid 2 it really changed. Years ago, I stopped posting hero pics on social media. The pressure for social approval was too much. I've noticed peers my age have become similar. Facebook was a ghost town this hunting season. Kind of refreshing. I mainly just want to sit in the tranquil woods now, but obviously still want to hunt and have a chance. My main goal is to have a piece me and my wife can put a camper on. A garden. and a place to spend time year round, hunting included obviously, with our boys. And in a few years when the oldest gets to hunt, I see myself spending more time hunting with them. I still get the shakes when i see/shoot a deer, but the pressure to harvest has decreased. I'm more about having a good time and lifestyle.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
There’s always going to be another dance recital or family gathering, but the arthritis might catch up to you and you won’t be able to climb a tree forever. It’s more fun to live 20 feet up than under her thumb
but you might not have the same family members there, life changes in an instant. if i can't climb a tree i will gladly hunt out of a ground blind lol

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Years ago, I stopped posting hero pics on social media. The pressure for social approval was too much. I've noticed peers my age have become similar.
^^^ this right here. i had a discussion with a good friend about this. that is all social media is, just a way to show how great your life is in a "look at me" fashion. it's a good way to stay connected with friends and family but the vast majority of it is a façade of someones life for what they want you to think it is

·
Registered
542 Posts
^^^ this right here. i had a discussion with a good friend about this. that is all social media is, just a way to show how great your life is in a "look at me" fashion. it's a good way to stay connected with friends and family but the vast majority of it is a façade of someones life for what they want you to think it is
Please do not be offended by what I am about to say as this is not an attack on you or your friends...

Just like life, social media is a lot about the company you keep. If people accept every single friend request under the sun, follow celebrities / influencers, like pages that are all about glitz and glam, then of course its a "look at me" type platform. That's not just social media, that's just the embarrassing world we live in. I prefer to look at my Facebook friends and Instagram pages no differently than if I was inviting people over to my house for a BBQ. I want genuine, positive real people around me...both in person and online. Even though I am a big sports junky, I even had to stop following ESPN due to the BS political stuff they prefer to post now. Sadly, our society is about greed, click bait, and showing off far more than it is about good deeds and lifting each other up. I don't care how rich or poor you are, what your religion, skin color, sexuality, etc. is, all of us have too many obstacles and negative things in life as is. Absolutely zero reason to take a platform like Facebook (which can be awesome for keeping in touch with friends and family) and allow others negativity to influence our opinions about life.

Side note- I am 38 now and would consider myself well off now, but grew up relatively poor. My parents could never afford for me to have Jordans or designer clothes. I don't remember being bullied or feeling like I was poor, but I can absolutely see how kids now days do not have the mental strength / health to not feel "less than" based on social media. I can't imagine being a 12 year old kid that not only sees all the other kids with nice stuff at school, but then also seeing 12 year olds on YouTube / Instagram etc that are making millions and showing it off while surfing the internet at home. We live in a weird weird world.

Reactions: Dbolick

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Please do not be offended by what I am about to say as this is not an attack on you or your friends...

Just like life, social media is a lot about the company you keep. If people accept every single friend request under the sun, follow celebrities / influencers, like pages that are all about glitz and glam, then of course its a "look at me" type platform. That's not just social media, that's just the embarrassing world we live in. I prefer to look at my Facebook friends and Instagram pages no differently than if I was inviting people over to my house for a BBQ. I want genuine, positive real people around me...both in person and online. Even though I am a big sports junky, I even had to stop following ESPN due to the BS political stuff they prefer to post now. Sadly, our society is about greed, click bait, and showing off far more than it is about good deeds and lifting each other up. I don't care how rich or poor you are, what your religion, skin color, sexuality, etc. is, all of us have too many obstacles and negative things in life as is. Absolutely zero reason to take a platform like Facebook (which can be awesome for keeping in touch with friends and family) and allow others negativity to influence our opinions about life.

Side note- I am 38 now and would consider myself well off now, but grew up relatively poor. My parents could never afford for me to have Jordans or designer clothes. I don't remember being bullied or feeling like I was poor, but I can absolutely see how kids now days do not have the mental strength / health to not feel "less than" based on social media. I can't imagine being a 12 year old kid that not only sees all the other kids with nice stuff at school, but then also seeing 12 year olds on YouTube / Instagram etc that are making millions and showing it off while surfing the internet at home. We live in a weird weird world.
i very much agree with your point as well. it can be a genuine way to keep in touch and up to date with friends and family, i guess i was thinking in the broad spectrum i think people post how great their life is in a show offy fashion but that doesn't include every post by no means

21 - 34 of 34 Posts