Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the spirit of posting something that isn't a bow press or a bag target here is a new project I've been working on.

Ever since I was a youngan I like the way that the old Indian XI wooden compound risers look. I've bought several off of ebay and occasionally I do something with them. Well this particular riser I wanted to make into a recurve. I noticed that the limb pockets that were on it fit the old pro-style limbs perfectly. Ironic they are still called pro-style when I doubt anyone beyond a beginner still shoots them but whatever they are easy to find and I'm not overly particular. So I bought a set of Samic Sage limbs and bolted them on. Unfortunately that's when I realized that the tolerances of the plastic limb pockets just were not acceptable. I was getting limb twist and crooked alignment, and all sorts of just basic crap that's not acceptable even for the pro-syle. So I sketched up an adjustable limb pocket and started to craft away. Here is what I came up with. The limbs were 40# at 28" but on this bow they are more like 45# overall length of the bow unstrung is 60". The limbs are now aligned and no limb twist.

Sorry the drawing is upside down in comparison to the actual pocket.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is an idea of what the plastic limb pockets looked like...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Beautiful job!
Risers of that era were very similar to the recurve risers. So it looks natural to put recurve limbs on one.
Great job on the limb pockets,
Allen

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree a lot of the old bows used the existing recurve technology. I still have some work to do on it. I want to paint the pockets and and paint the riser with a satin finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts