Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My Indiana season was a Success before it Even Started really. I was Fortunate to get My wife out on our first trip of the season and tempted and 2 year old into range for her and she Laid him down (gun). It was her fourth Bird she has killed But our first together. Made my season kill or no kill......

The "Bird" i shot was one of "those" birds, well you know the kind that Drives you nuts in a matter of Minutes. You realize about 5 min. into the hunt you got a bird that gobbles but seems to be hung up on a twig sideways in the woods. Those Birds that sits in the tree a Hour after it gets Light Taunting you...

Well this bird was roosted on Tuesday night as i came out of the woods he hammered at my foot steps walking softly down a Horse trail on National Forest Land. So i decided to get after him the next Morning Double Bull in tow and My Bowtech Old Glory.

Well he fooled Me with his antics and i knew it was best to leave this Hoss alone rather than shower him with calls and run and gun tactics i knew he was Big and Knew he was smart. So I left to find other birds Dont get me wrong i wanted him but learned a LONG time ago not to Hunt "ONE" bird the will leave ya with tag soup as fast as the 180" buck....

Now I have tagged around 25 Birds in my time hunting in a few states and i have came close to tag soup a few times that my pride didnt get in the way of shooting a jake. However i prefer to have a long beard but in no way to i check for spurs. My mentality is long beard "BOOM" or in a few cases Long Beard " Thump".

Well back to the story i went out searching for another canidate but lucky for me Nothing out the Talking so i hunted with a friend and left my gear in the truck as it was his last day able to hunt. Well as evening grew near i knew a older bird "SOMETIMES" will return to his roost tree "SEMI" Regularly. So i decide to Lay in wait of Him returning and Boy did i get a surprise. I sat and waited 3 Hours without making a call cause i knew public land birds ha sheard the Best and worst calling over this last week and knew in the evening all a older bird will be wanting is to return to his roost and drift off.

After inspecting his roost area i found what looked to be the Take off site as there was few if any leaves on the ground in a 5X5 area on the hill right above his Oak Lair. Popped up the double bull and waited. 45 min before dark he starts working into my setup 2 hen dekes waiting for him at his Take off. LOL worked like a charm led him right into 7 yards of the Blind. As he funneled past towards the dekes i drew and waited for him to break the opening i had at 10 yards. I clicked with my tounge to stop him and so gos the Biggest Bird of my Life with a Bow none the less. I was using a Old Glory with a Maxima 250 tipped with a slick trick and Smacked him hard and he was down for the count.

26 lbs.
10.5 inch beard
1-9/16th
1-1/2 inch spurs.... unofficial score was 77 and i was a conservative on my measurements. I am Elated and Ecstatic Regardless of the place he takes He is a Old and Smart Public Land Tom and i Outwitted his without a Call drawn. To me that is the Trophy... Here he is in all his Final Glory... 2010 turkey.jpg

spurs.jpg

Kaley Lynn 257.jpg

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks after looking over the NWTF website he will make the #2 spot and only One Point from the #1 spot so i will have to see what the Official score is for Indiana Bow kill Birds.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
CONGRATS!!! That is one HECK of a bird!!! :thumb: :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Nice bird.....congrats

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Super bird.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Very nice bird. Good job!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dandy bird , congrats:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This Bird is Making his way down to a Guy who Holds several National Titles for Taxi Work from the NWTF. He Only does birds Im excited to see what he looks like when i get him back.

Probably going to do a Roost mount as thats where i seen him first and where he was headed when i gave him the Dirt Nap. Any suggestions or pics of your birds in that or a alert setting?

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
Congrats on a dandy bird.. After seeing the picture of that spur I wish I were headed to the woods instead of work this morning. :sad:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts