Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my son to the range today for the first time in nearly a year. Last year, he was barely pulling back the 20lbs....WOW what a difference a year makes. He has outgrown that little Bear bow. He is ready for a 25-45lbs bow that actually shoots arrows, not just "heaving" them at the target. Mind you these are 28" Easton Axis 340's and I know they are WAY too big for that bow. But he has finally learned to group his arrows. He had 5 within 6" of each other.....with no peep sight! Time to upgrade him and get a child size release. Looks like I better start putting money aside. This could get expensive.

Jack at the range.jpg

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have four kids that shoot, it gets expensive trust me. Here is my little buddy, 9 years old and shooting dang near 30 lbs on his bear apprentice. little man archery.jpg

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Nothing better than getting out there and shooting with the kids!!! My two boys and my little girl who's only 4 all shoot...here's my 8 year old with his Mission Menace...He has no problem putting all six arrows in the 18-1 from 15 yards :)

2011-02-19 13[1].33.46.jpg

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have a 2 year old son and look forward to the day I can stop buying bows and guns for myself and start buying them for him.

·
Banned
3,872 Posts
I love shootin with my boys. I get to take them to the to the woods this year and make little rutjunkys out of them.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hoyt1.jpg Hoyt3.jpg

I love shooting with my little boy he is 3 and I have another little one that just turned 1, can't wait until he is out there with us!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good stuff Ohio Mossy Oak

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Cool...but please for the love of god if your kids are shooting get armguards on them! If you're confident to shoot without one, then may the pain be on you. But it's your responsibility to keep them safe, and a really hard string slap could put them off. Not to mention a good string slap can cause severe injuries if the bruise is deep and there's complications with it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool...but please for the love of god if your kids are shooting get armguards on them! If you're confident to shoot without one, then may the pain be on you. But it's your responsibility to keep them safe, and a really hard string slap could put them off. Not to mention a good string slap can cause severe injuries if the bruise is deep and there's complications with it.
That is how you learn not to lock your elbow. A little string slap is part of learning. Just like Scope Eye is part of learning to shoot a deer rifle. He got the slap about 2 years ago....I actually had to have him straighten his arm a little more last night.

Only time I use an arm guard is when I have on my 3D suit, and that is to keep the clothes out of the string.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
nice pictures guys i to love shooting and hunting with my 8 year old son.he tells me hes going for the record underground beaver this year or as we call them woodchucks ha ha got to love it.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
That was a great time in my life. My son is going to be 18 in October and looking at these pics brings me back to when he was little. He started shooting when he was 3. And yes it does get expensive, he want the good stuff as I do. He has more stuff than I do and he didn't buy any of it, lol. When I get something new if he likes it guess who gets it. Enjoy! it goes by quick.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That is how you learn not to lock your elbow. A little string slap is part of learning. Just like Scope Eye is part of learning to shoot a deer rifle. He got the slap about 2 years ago....I actually had to have him straighten his arm a little more last night.

Only time I use an arm guard is when I have on my 3D suit, and that is to keep the clothes out of the string.
Well up to you if that's how you do it. But there's string slap, and then there's string slap. When I hit my arm at the national champs I ended up with a really bad swelling in my arm and it cut off some of the bloodflow in my arm. Ended up having to go to the doctors surgery a few days later to have it checked out, and this was after having it on ice and rested between every end of shooting. Some of the tissue in my arm had started to die off from the restriction the swelling put on it.

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
I dont need you to tell me how to raise/ take care of my children..You start paying for clothes an food etc..Then you can have a say

1 - 20 of 36 Posts