Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to shoot the Monster today. Below is my opinion, and the only reason I'm posting it is because I've seen several people asking questions about the bow on the other Monster threads. I figured I'd give what I consider to be a completely unbiased opinion. Please keep in mind that I in no way claim to be an expert. My experience with bows is limited to only the last 4 years or so, but I have shot probably 50 different bows over that time due to my need to always have something new. I've shot bows that ranged from great to piss poor (in my opinion).

To start off, the bow unfortunately was set at 28.5", while I am a 30" draw. (Note: Any discussion about the DL being long on this bow appears to be untrue in my observation, as my bow arm had a severe bend in it.) The bow was set at 67.3 pounds, according to the shop's Easton digital bow scale. The rest was a Whisker Biscuit. 4" vanes are not recommended with a WB on this bow, as the front of the vanes contact the whiskers when you load the arrow (this would be even more of an issue with the XLR8). Not that it would matter once the bow is drawn, but when you slide the arrow in to the biscuit and vanes hit the whiskers, I'm guessing you would wear out your biscuit pretty quickly. No stabilizer was installed, but the new Mathews string stopper was in place. A 3 pin sight, a string loop, and peep site were installed. No additional aftermarket accessories were on the bow.

The draw of the bow is stiff, but suprisingly managable. It does load up just before turning over, but I was VERY suprised with how "easy" it is to draw. It is definately not the same as my Alphamax, or anywhere near what my Switchback XT was, but it is MUCH easier to draw than what I expected. I went in to it expecting the bow to be very difficult to draw. I did not know the draw weight until after I shot it. Looking at the gap on the limb bolts, it looked like it wasn't backed out too far, but judging by the feel of the draw, I would have guessed that it was closer to 60 pounds. I can't say enough about the fact that it draws much, much easier than I expected. I am very interested in shooting a bow that is a match for me draw length wise. It is hard to get a true feel for a bow when it is 1.5" short.

As for the wall, it is solid. Being that the draw length was so short, I was pulling pretty hard in to the wall. I will say that you don't get much creep before it wants to go, though.

The bow holds very well. Again, I was VERY surprised how well it did hold given the short draw length.

The actual shot was good as well. There is a slight amount of vibration felt in the handle, but honestly, it is comparable to my Alphamax. Nothing that is a big issue to me. The bow is very steady in the hand, and doesn't want to leap forward at all.

Now for shootability. Please note that I am currently fighting a case of target panic. My shooting is not bad, but not where I want it. Also note by looking at the pictures below that I was shooting the shop's 4 arrows. 3 were Axis 340, the other was Epic 400. Only two of them matched exactly, as one was about 2" longer than the others, and another was outfitted with feathers. Also, the release I used was the shops, and was nothing like what I am used to.

The first 8 shots were at a target around 10 yards, and I paid absolutely no attention to where the arrows hit. I was just trying to "feel" the bow. The next 4 arrows were from 30 yards, and are pictured first below. (The two arrows that are nearly touching are the matching ones.) The next 4 were from 20 yards, and they are in the second picture. I went on to shoot around 20 more from 30 yards and had similar, if not better, results than pictured.

For an average shooter such as myself, shooting a bow that was too short, unmatched arrows, and a strange release, I was EXTREMELY surprised how well I shot the bow, especially at 30 yards. I would love to shoot the bow out to 60 yards to really get a feel for the effects of the 6" brace height.

The last point I will make, and the thing that concerns me the most about the bow. I was looking at the string/cable pretty closely and all the places where they roll over the cams. I noticed on the down cable, 2 or 3" above the cam, the serving was starting to seperate. The shop just got the bow yesterday, and they said that people had been shooting it non-stop, but that concerns me. It may be something to keep an eye on with the other bows.

Attachments

· www.paramadness.com
2,803 Posts
I hope those feathers wasn't new when you shot it, because if they was thats a fast bow..... i would love to try one at about 55# 26" but it will probaly be awhile till the come out, being handicapped with short arm syndrome it takes awhile to get new product for dwarfs like me on the shelf.... you were lucky it was to short for you if that were me i probaly would of got right to the roll over point and went with the arrow.....

nice post really enjoyed the feedback that you gave on this product

· Registered
1,880 Posts
Nice review very unbiased.The serving seperation is easily taken care of with som superglu on the first 5 or 6 strands of sering.The strings are not to my licking eaither but I dont know of many that have good quality stock strings on their bows.The shooting is suprising that you done that well with the arrows being underspined and the fact the bow is that short for you not to mention the arrows like you said were mixed and not matched.Thanks for taking the time for the review seems to me about what everyone else including myself has said on the bow.I think it will be a great bow for the speed freaks,if it had a larger brace and was slower with a smaller A2A I would buy 1 but that is why I kept my DXT as it is a better fit for me.

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Most of the time, the Cuda string's servings have slight gaps in them, and you can usally see them more as the bow gets shot more. Nice review BTW!:thumbs_up

· Registered
195 Posts
The Monster arrived in Eastern Iowa as well. I was able to fire a few rounds through. OK a few dozen :uzi: My review would sound just like this one. A buddy of mine was there too and we both had very similar comments about how it drew and shot. He did a side by side with the Reezen and HIS opinion was that the Reezen actually kicked more from the bottom upward? Again his opinion. The draw cycle was surprisingly smooth and the bow kicked very little...minor vibration. The one thing that really impressed me was the way the bow feels at the moment of release. I've shot a few high powered bows with 80% let off and it goes from a nothing feel to out-of-control take off. This didn't have that feel. I never felt like the bow was out of control in my hand. The speed was crazy and from 0-30 yards....used the same pin...all in the kill zone, little drop at 30 yards...maybe 1/4". And yes 6-8 weeks delivery. ARGH.

· Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Monster arrived in Eastern Iowa as well. I was able to fire a few rounds through. OK a few dozen :uzi: My review would sound just like this one. A buddy of mine was there too and we both had very similar comments about how it drew and shot. He did a side by side with the Reezen and HIS opinion was that the Reezen actually kicked more from the bottom upward? Again his opinion. The draw cycle was surprisingly smooth and the bow kicked very little...minor vibration. The one thing that really impressed me was the way the bow feels at the moment of release. I've shot a few high powered bows with 80% let off and it goes from a nothing feel to out-of-control take off. This didn't have that feel. I never felt like the bow was out of control in my hand. The speed was crazy and from 0-30 yards....used the same pin...all in the kill zone, little drop at 30 yards...maybe 1/4". And yes 6-8 weeks delivery. ARGH.
What shop?

· Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the waaaay late reply - if you for some reason have not found out by now...it is Fin & Feather in Iowa City / Coralville.
Then those pictures should look familiar - that is where they're from!

I've shot two different Monster's since then as well, and my opinion remains the same as when I started this thread. A buddy of mine shot the Monster yesterday at Obsession Archery by Rockford and wanted to take it home with him. I'm pretty sure he's going to be ordering one.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Not really top heavy to me but I have some "guns" :embara: ...though it seems that some shooters like top heavy bows because they like to roll the bow forward after release as a follow through. Personally I do not like the roll over after my shot. I prefer to say in my stance with bow out on point.

· Registered
320 Posts
Not really top heavy to me but I have some "guns" :embara: ...though it seems that some shooters like top heavy bows because they like to roll the bow forward after release as a follow through. Personally I do not like the roll over after my shot. I prefer to say in my stance with bow out on point.
i thought the monster had an awkward forward weight to it, i dont like it either, thats why i dont like the reezin at all, too much weight forward

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.