Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a trip down to south texas to hunt a family friends place - low fence (sad to say you have to clarify w/ that area high fences EVERYWHERE). Had some good hunts & shot two does the final day. The first of which I believe is my most epic kill/crash combo yet. The day before I was practice shooting, and to my surprise my d loop ripped in half (very suprised wasn't really showing any wear). I wasn't prepared for this and didn't have anything to fix it, but lucky me another guy brought a back up bow (mathews dxt 1/2" off my normal draw length). I practiced all day with that bow and felt really good to 40 yards by the evening hunt.

I was sitting near a feeder with a large food plot 80 yards to my right, the food plot had a barb wire fence, with hog panel on the lower 3/4. A group of 3 does came in from a direction I wasn't expecting, the lead doe was headed towards a feeder, however, one of the other does got behind me and started to stomp. The lead doe got skiddish and ran past me at 5 yards and I came to full draw in hopes she would stop somewhere in range. She jumped a creek and stopped at 25 yards on the other side of some thick brush. It was one of those scenarios where I had 1 volleyball sized hole, and she put her vitals right in line with the hole. I let an FMJ/Ulmer Edge fly and it went right through the opening and double lung - she went on a death run towards the food plot and I believe she went blind because she never looked like she saw the fence. She hit the fence face first in the hog panel directly in line with a t post and I kid you not, sparks flew from the wire on the t post. It was amazing, she didn't move after headbutting the t post at full speed.

I went on to kill another one of the does in the group at 35 yards, also impressively tripped over a big patch of cactus and face planted. I'm not sure if it is evil or not but I get some extra enjoyment when a deer crashes in tremendous fashion.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts