Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say this with nothing but love and respect for the sport, I read another post simular to this one. I am worn out with most of the high profile endorsed hunters and their "Air Jordan" like signature lines (I prefer not to even buy their products if there is an alternative & I usually change the channel). Personally, I would like to see more tv hunters hunting more realistic scenerios like public land, gamelands, and pressured game even taking smaller honest bucks. I am a firm believer there is a difference in the animals. You may disagree, but I would follow and listen to tips from professionals that match the life of most hunters.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I say this with nothing but love and respect for the sport, I read another post simular to this one. I am worn out with most of the high profile endorsed hunters and their "Air Jordan" like signature lines (I prefer not to even buy their products if there is an alternative & I usually change the channel). Personally, I would like to see more tv hunters hunting more realistic scenerios like public land, gamelands, and pressured game even taking smaller honest bucks. I am a firm believer there is a difference in the animals. You may disagree, but I would follow and listen to tips from professionals that match the life of most hunters.
Well good for you. Unfortunately for them they would never be able to make a living, HUNTING, if they hunted public land in most places. You have to keep in mind, it's a business for them. It's a hobby/love for me and probably for you. It's not comparable!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I noticed that no name was mentioned.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
You have to keep in mind, it's a business for them. It's a hobby/love for me and probably for you. It's not comparable!
That is exactly the problem. As I have stated many times, they can make their living anyway they want. I also have the right to NOT WATCH.
Dan

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
That is exactly the problem. As I have stated many times, they can make their living anyway they want. I also have the right to NOT WATCH.
Dan
Well sure. Who's argueing that????:noidea:

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
Agree. Thats why Eastmans is my favorite show and the only one I watch start to finish, the rest get the tivo treatment, watch a 30 min program in under 2 minutes. Eastmans only runs about 40% bowhunting, but its all public land and do it yourself style hunting. "No Fences Here!"

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I will definately check out Eastman's and probably purchase slunger/passthru dvd's. I definately support the pro's and understand they are living a dream job (that most of us would love to have). I missed the earlier threads and I was wondering if I was the only person who thought alot of this has gotten alittle extreme. I've watched 150 class bucks (or so) get passed as "scrubs" and wondering about how this mentality is affecting teens and new hunter's views and pride as trophies. I'm also concerned about hunter retention by not "meeting this standard". While prices of "quality" gear is increasing because of name lines. If they came up with the concept or provided input to improve the product, great. I sometimes think that we as experienced hunters are leading folks away from the "sacred experience with nature" to more of an expensive exclusive (here's a few grand put me on a monster) mentality. I definately don't want to offend anyone. Thanks for reading this long post (much appreciated), I just wanted to clear my intent of post.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
my hunting hero to watch is my dad
:clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
According to what people say to me, you're just jealous. :confused:

Yeah, I don't understand it either..

·
Registered
107 Posts
you got two different kinds of hunters, the ones that grew up learning from grandparents, parents, etc., who were taught how to hunt and probably started with a single shot. then you got those who took up hunting because they read about, and have tried to learn by reading and watching tv shows and dvds, etc., which i am sure are your main supporters of your cable shows. more concerned with how big and whats it gonna score. these people have never just enjoyed a hunt because its all about shooting mr. bragging rights. those of you that started hunting by following some beagles with a single shot 410 know what i mean, alot of guys today who have taken up hunting dont know what its all about, they dont know how to hunt, they just know they gotta have whats new equipment wise or they cant sleep. just read 90 percent of the posts on here.

·
Registered
987 Posts
That is exactly what we are doing, 90% of our hunting is on private land, and we are not trophy hunters, if it gets our hearts pumpin we shoot it, and eat it!. we try and pride ourselves on quality production and documenting the hunt, not putting together a show.Take a look we are based in the northeast, will have a DVD coming out after deer season, and will hopefully be on the air next year.

www.sharedobsessiontv.com

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
x2

I agree. I don't get pumped watching somebody kill a deer on a managed property where the guides tell you where to sit, what to shoot and even sit over your shoulder telling you when to shoot and where to aim. That was fun when I was 10 hunting with my dad but it's no challenge. All it takes is good shooting form, not hunting experience.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
you got two different kinds of hunters, the ones that grew up learning from grandparents, parents, etc., who were taught how to hunt and probably started with a single shot. then you got those who took up hunting because they read about, and have tried to learn by reading and watching tv shows and dvds, etc., which i am sure are your main supporters of your cable shows. more concerned with how big and whats it gonna score. these people have never just enjoyed a hunt because its all about shooting mr. bragging rights. those of you that started hunting by following some beagles with a single shot 410 know what i mean, alot of guys today who have taken up hunting dont know what its all about, they dont know how to hunt, they just know they gotta have whats new equipment wise or they cant sleep. just read 90 percent of the posts on here.
You might want to think before you classify people in 2 categories. You just might offend some of the guys on here. I don't have any family members that hunt. I didn't have anyone to teach me. I had to watch tv and read to learn. This is my 3rd year and I have yet to take a "monster", hell, I have yet to take an antlered deer. I have passed on a few younger ones though, only because I didn't get excited when I saw them. I do however shoot slickheads.
For you to insinuate that I "don't know what hunting is about" makes you sound self righteous. I have a problem with some of the "pro's" that make poor shot decisions and pimp all the new stuff, most of which is no better than anything else that cost half as much. I get tired of all the commercials with guys trying to sell you some crap that really doesnt work, in between them pushing you to buy what they are shooting while they are in the stand, but that is hunting television. If you have a problem with it, change the channel. I had to watch to learn, but trust me, I know what its all about.

Read my signature, I dont shoot the latest and greatest anything, I shoot what works for ME!

Sorry OP, just had to point this out.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,364 Posts
I have no heros I just like to watch big bucks get taken by hunters. Always impressed with the big bucks that get taken while on film.

One thing I always keep in mind, they didn't get to the point they are now overnight. Hard work, determination, sacrifices made, and blood, sweat, and tears. I applaud their efforts and hope they keep on taking the big monsters bucks and share their success with us!

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I enjoy watching Eastman's because they do hunt alot "Not all" of public land but here's the deal the way I see it....99.9% of the hunting shows out there focus on whitetail hunting, and if those shows all went to strictly public land it would get old pretty quick for most of the viewers if they tried to hang a tag on a decent buck...I'm not even talking a 160"+ buck, I'm talking a 130"-140" range buck. You can hunt some public land hard for a whole season and never get a crack at a deer in that range "trust me, I've done it before"...Think about that, it would make for a pretty boreing show just watching them set in a stand every week and not see anything. If I'm gonna watch a hunting show I actualy like to see them take a good buck just as long as they are not hunting a high fence place.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
How are they different from Fred Bear?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts