Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I booked a Newfoundland moose hunt for September of 2015 and I was concerned about taking one of my old worn out bows to try to kill Bullwinkle with (at least that's what I told the missus). So I commissioned my good friend, Don Orrell, at Tall Timbers Archery, to make me a takedown longbow for this hunt. He called me yesterday and told me to come and get it. Here are some photos of the finished product.

The bow is 58" long and pulls 55#@28". The limb core is bamboo and the veneer is black-and-white ebony. The riser is made from ziricote.

Don liked this bow so much that I thought I was gonna have to wrassle him to get it out of his hands. That's the problem with your personal bowyer also being left-handed. It does shoot fast and hard though...and it's easy on the eyes.

Darren

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oooohhh..... I love the limbs and custom name plate! That is one gorgeous bow:thumbs_up

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Darren, Beautiful bow! I have only got to shoot at Panther Creek one time this year, but saw don's nice workshop. Very nice . Does 58" bow at your draw show any stack? GREG

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
That is a gorgeous stick man....you should be proud...thanks for sharing. Bill. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I smell a plan coming together…what’s the arrow part of the equation going to be?

I’ve been regretting not having bought a bow with black and white ebony veneers for several years now…and have been searching for a hint of its availability, before approaching the bowyer I want to make the bow. If he says he can’t find any, your wrasslin' days may not be over.

Congrats on the bow…Good Luck with all your future plans. Enjoy, Rick.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rickstix, Big Jim at Big Jim's Bow Company has all kinds of black-and-white ebony veneer. That's where I got mine. I bought the veneer and riser wood from him and had it shipped to my bowyer, Don Orrell.

As far as the arrows go, they will be pretty much what I usually shoot with a couple of new things I'm trying to increase my FOC. The shafts will be 11/32" ash tapered to 5/16" at the back end. I always use three 5" shield cut feathers for my fletching. On the front end I will have a 75 grain woody weight and a 200 grain Ace Super Express broadhead. My total arrow weight will be between 725 and 750 grains. I added the tapered shaft and woody weight to my normal setup to bump up my FOC and, therefore, my penetration.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Rickstix, Big Jim at Big Jim's Bow Company has all kinds of black-and-white ebony veneer. That's where I got mine. I bought the veneer and riser wood from him and had it shipped to my bowyer, Don Orrell.

As far as the arrows go, they will be pretty much what I usually shoot with a couple of new things I'm trying to increase my FOC. The shafts will be 11/32" ash tapered to 5/16" at the back end. I always use three 5" shield cut feathers for my fletching. On the front end I will have a 75 grain woody weight and a 200 grain Ace Super Express broadhead. My total arrow weight will be between 725 and 750 grains. I added the tapered shaft and woody weight to my normal setup to bump up my FOC and, therefore, my penetration.
I appreciate the heads-up…my thinking was that one bowyer or another might need to be contacted. That makes my next bow all the closer, so now I’m starting to drift into sticker shock…but I’ll probably live long enough to shoot it.

The wood arrow choice really takes hold of my heart…good on ya. I had a dozen ash shafts I was shooting many years ago from my 76# Brackenbury recurve. They weren’t the best quality so I sorted them into the better half and the lesser half…which I spent a great deal of effort trying to destroy but never managed to break one. IMO, if the weight works for you…you should have one tuff arra.

Thanks again…Rick.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's some photos of the arrows I made for last season. I flame crested all the bling on them.

Darren

1 - 19 of 19 Posts