Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to serve a bow string, I've always been frustrated by my inability to catch the bobbin at just the right place to give it another spin. Finally it annoyed me enough to cobble together a gizmo that I believe solves my problem. This jig fits around my Bieter (best jig IMHO) and with the counter weights adjusted allows me to spin the bobbin and no matter where it stops I'm in position to give it another spin.
Obviously none of us on the DIY are prone to leaving well enough alone so of course now that I have the spinning part resolved I want to use my hand drill to make it a powered serving tool. You'll note that I have put a V cut in the exterior of the circle so that it can be belt driven. Unfortunately my sewing machine belt I ordered from Ebay has not yet arrived so I cannot say definitively that it will work. Honestly I'm pretty sure it will.

Now if you are thinking this is just a little too much work, there is a commercial alternative on the market and can be purchased from Ebay or viewed here
http://outerlimitsarchery.com/moto-serving-jig.html

:moped_mazeguy:
:set1_STOOGE2:

Attachments

·
Bone Collector
5,457 Posts
Looks like a good idea.

Jake

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Great job , I like the Moto and planning on getting one

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Your serving bobbin holder idea is great. You should patent it, as there are several specific patentable features to your round counter-balanced bobbin holder that really help the industry, like the slot, the groove that will allow it to be spun with a belt, and the ability to add counter balance weight to the thing.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Your serving bobbin holder idea is great. You should patent it, as there are several specific patentable features to your round counter-balanced bobbin holder that really help the industry, like the slot, the groove that will allow it to be spun with a belt, and the ability to add counter balance weight to the thing.
Too late, it's already public domain since it's been revealed here.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks

As promised I'm updating the powered version of the bobbin holder. After about 20 min of fooling around with the belt it became infinitely clear that the belt drive idea was not the way to go. The wobble and the slight deflection of the holder caused by the bobbin clamp made the belt fly off nearly immediately. Using slower speeds didn't seem to help. I tried additional belt pressure nothing seemed to work. In a fit of total annoyance I slammed the pulley I had in the hand drill up against the holder and pulled the trigger. Wow that actually worked! In fact, it actually worked really well! I then made a pulley with the negative profile of the holder v-groove and bingo I'm in the front row. It works incredibly well even at the highest speed my drill will go. I need a faster drill and a bigger drive pulley so I can reach speed ludicrous but for now it works really well.

Well I hope this inspires others to build one and post your results here. I have another design change that I want to try that should make the bobbin clamp work better. I'll incorporate that into the Mach II.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
AT Sponsor
2,603 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks

As promised I'm updating the powered version of the bobbin holder. After about 20 min of fooling around with the belt it became infinitely clear that the belt drive idea was not the way to go. The wobble and the slight deflection of the holder caused by the bobbin clamp made the belt fly off nearly immediately. Using slower speeds didn't seem to help. I tried additional belt pressure nothing seemed to work. In a fit of total annoyance I slammed the pulley I had in the hand drill up against the holder and pulled the trigger. Wow that actually worked! In fact, it actually worked really well! I then made a pulley with the negative profile of the holder v-groove and bingo I'm in the front row. It works incredibly well even at the highest speed my drill will go. I need a faster drill and a bigger drive pulley so I can reach speed ludicrous but for now it works really well.

Well I hope this inspires others to build one and post your results here. I have another design change that I want to try that should make the bobbin clamp work better. I'll incorporate that into the Mach II.

Cheers!
pm sent...

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Multiple folks have contacted me about selling one of these. To be honest for what it would cost to build I would need to charge more than a beta product is worth. I want to do a bunch more testing and trying things before I would even consider selling one that I made. I still encourage others to take this idea and expand on it. I see the DIY as a collaboration forum so as I refine the design I would hope others would weigh in and make suggestions.

I'm not really a manufacturing facility I get paid a bunch of money for my real job so not sure I need to become a manufacturing facility. However I may end up selling some at some point as public service not as a profit making venture.

Of course if you want to print these pictures out and take them to the neighborhood handy man and pay him to build it that's OK too. if you want to become business partners and use this idea than feel free to contact me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts