Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Team 32
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll start this off with some personal bad news... It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to pass on the hunting season this year. I'm currently scheduled to be working at the Three Mile Island fall outage from the middle / end of October through the middle of December (if everything goes as planned...). As a result it looks like I'm not going to be able to participate in the deer contest this fall.

Having said all that I still think I have a couple potential rule changes / additions that would enrich the contest and be better for our sport / heritage. I brought this up last fall and it was fairly well received, but the contest had already started and I was told to bring it back up before the contest started this year.

So here's my proposal:
- I think there should be a bonus 3rd deer worth somewhere between 25-100 points that a contest member is eligible for if they guide a kid under 12 to kill a deer.
- If this isn't widely accepted how about making the 2nd doe worth 75-100 points if a kid under 12 takes it. In other words if the hunter gets a doe and a buck or doe and a doe the rules are the same as they always are. If however they only take one doe but help a kid get a deer, they can post the kids deer for a bonus 25 - 50 points as "their second deer."

The age may be a flexible as well (14, 15, 16, whatever ya'll want). I'm not trying to make this a major contest changer, just give folks a bit more motivation to take a kid hunting. Maybe we could also add a bonus for recruiting a first-time hunter, but I think the kid idea is just a lot easier to "prove."

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Hokie

·
Registered
11,797 Posts
Sounds like a win, win deal for the sport.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I like the idea but I can see where it would difficult for some guys. It's real easy for me since my 7 yr old will be hunting herself for the first time this year.

·
Team 32
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the idea but I can see where it would difficult for some guys. It's real easy for me since my 7 yr old will be hunting herself for the first time this year.
Oh I understand. I am 24 and about to be married. I have no siblings under the age of 14, no neices or nephews, and I basically stand no chance of gaining from this rule change any time soon. Also I don't want it to be a "game-changer" I just more or less want it to be incentive for guys like me to go looking for someone else to get into the sport. I want it to make everyone keep their ears open and be more willing to help out if they happen to run into a friend or a colleague who mentions that they want to get their kid into hunting.

For you folks that already have hunting age kids it should be easy. But how many times do you get out with your kids to go hunt? I'm not saying by any means that you don't but this will just give you extra incentive to spend a little more time with them (not that you necessarily need it).

There's no harm in everyone sacrificing a day or two of their hunting season to take a kid. It would make us all better people.

·
Team 32
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just as an aside I do have a bit of extra incentive for this change. I grew up in a non-hunting family and I would have killed to just tag along with an experienced hunter as a kid. My dad had several friends that hunted including a distinguished member of my church, but no matter how many times I talked about wanting to hunt no one EVER offered to take me (and I was a very respectful, mild mannered kid). I actually never set foot into the hunting woods until I was a sophomore in college when I tagged along with my sisters boyfriend. He shot a great 8-pointer that night and I've been hooked ever since.

Now, I'd probably be a lot better hunter and have a lot more to give back to the hunting community at this point if just one or two times someone had taken me along for the ride when hunting. For those of you with kids, I challenge you to take one of their little friends hunting one time. The more the merrier. I know I'll do all I can to give back when I have the resources too, I just want to encourage everyone that's already there to give back now.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Why? Just asking. :darkbeer:
It's just too complicated for the people running the contest. And it's not gonna get someone to take a kid. If they are taking a kid, this contest should have nothing to do with it. Plus, it's wrong to take a kid hunting for competition. They should do it cause they love it. Let the kids have fun. That's what's wrong with hunting sometimes,...mines bigger than yours...

I do take kids hunting and fishing, but not to win contests...

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
No

I dont like it for a few reasons. As someone already pointed out, if a guy has no-one to take then their at a disadvantage. But a bigger issue than that, atleast for me is how many guys are gonna whack an extra doe, take it home and put their kid in the picture with a bow and say "Smile". Lets face it, it's going to happen.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
It's just too complicated for the people running the contest. And it's not gonna get someone to take a kid. If they are taking a kid, this contest should have nothing to do with it. Plus, it's wrong to take a kid hunting for competition. They should do it cause they love it. Let the kids have fun. That's what's wrong with hunting sometimes,...mines bigger than yours...

I do take kids hunting and fishing, but not to win contests...
Got ya. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I dont like it for a few reasons. As someone already pointed out, if a guy has no-one to take then their at a disadvantage. But a bigger issue than that, atleast for me is how many guys are gonna whack an extra doe, take it home and put their kid in the picture with a bow and say "Smile". Lets face it, it's going to happen.
I'm guessing it will be the same percentage that take their buddy's 160" gun killed buck and take a picture of it with their bow and claim it to be their own.

Let's face it, their is a certain percentage of 'scum' on this earth. We can't change that.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I'm guessing it will be the same percentage that take their buddy's 160" gun killed buck and take a picture of it with their bow and claim it to be their own.

Let's face it, their is a certain percentage of 'scum' on this earth. We can't change that.
Exactly, so why would we want to open the door and give them another opportunity??

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Youth Season

Or, maybe a better idea would be for every AT hunter to volunteer to guide a youth during the youth season. State doesn't have a youth season, then work on getting one set up. Kansas started theirs a few years back, and it has been very successful. Contact Big sisters/big brothers and get a kid involved. Lots of kids out there waiting, so no need to wait for a contest to start lending a hand.

·
Team 32
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly, so why would we want to open the door and give them another opportunity??
Because it's likely that by doing this we'll ultimately bring new hunter's into the fold. Who cares about a contest in the long run. What do you win? Bragging rights? What's that really worth on here. If you made the point total 25 points extra per person would that really make a huge change in the outcome?

The point is that even if people took a kid for a "selfish" contest reason I'd be willing to bet that both the kid and the hunter would ultimately both enjoy and grow fro mthe experience.

Any and all attempts to get kids hooked on hunting are a go for me and I just hope that more people like this idea and it ultimately becomes part of the hunting contest.

Heck maybe even have a second photo submission thread for the kids only and whatever group wins that contest gets 50-100 extra points in the big boys contest.

It's all about recruitment and by adding a little incentive we'll get people involved that never would have been without this.

·
When's bow season start?
8,874 Posts
IMO, a deer hunting contest is the last thing a young hunter should be exposed to. We're adults. We know (hopefully, I might add) that there is a lot more to this passion than marking kills in a contest. Want to teach a youngster something important? Teach them that.

But don't teach them about a deer hunting contest.

·
Livin' in a van....
8,455 Posts
really couldn't care less. I have a couple young bucks that i'd wanna take, but they're 13-17 and don't have a hunting family so i'd probably be too old anyways.
I'm pumped to hear people talkin about this because that means were getting close to that time of year:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts