Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a quest to get a new bow for no other reason than I can. My only stipulation is that it has to be a marked upgrade from my 2008 Ross Cardiac which if you have never shot one its fantastic! In my opinion it is almost identical to a Switchback. My perfect bow would be smooth, no shock and smoking fast. No different than anyone else. The 2 bows I was planning on looking at are the Mathews Z7 and the Hoyt Alphamax 32.
Today I was at the local archery shop and was able to shoot the Z7 and here is my take. It is a very nice bow. It is dead in the hand but not as quiet as I was expecting but I thing some of that might have been the rest that was on the bow. As far as speed, I was not blown away. The draw cycle with the reverse assist I would have to describe as odd. The first time I pulled back on the bow I almost thought something was wrong. I still dont know what to think about it, I guess you would have to get used to it.I dont want to upset anyone because the bow is nice, but I really dont thing I would be getting much of an upgrade from my current bow.
With all of that said while I was there someon was shooting a PSE Xforce Dream Season. I could not believe how quiet that bow was for a speed bow. I was so intrigued by it I asked the owner if I could give it a shot. I must say I was impressed with the draw cycle, not harsh like I was expecting. Now dont get me wrong, it wasnt as smooth as my Ross but it wasnt bad either. It was quiet and virtualy shock free. Speed? Unbelievable! I think I found a bow that would be an upgrade from My Cardiac!
I was planning on going to another shop to shoot the Alphamax 32 but seeing how it is slower than the Z7 there is no point. Now my quest for an Xforce begins. I dont want to upset any Z7 or Alphamax owners but the above are just my feelings and observations. Its a shame Andys business went belly up. Who knows what he would be putting out today. I also here he may be back and maybe we will get to see some more great bows.

·
Stryker Solution 390
580 Posts
i don't know if you have shot the new strother bows or not yet.
if you get a chance to try one i bet you'll have found your new bow.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard many good things abouth the Strothers bows. Unfortunately I live west of Chicago and there isnt a dealer anywhere close. Would be nice if archery shops carried 5 or 6 different lines instead of 2 or 3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts