Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to use this tree climber last season and here are my thoughts on it.

In the past I have used Summit Tree climbers and the most recent one I used was the Summit Goliath. I'm not a large man, but I like having plenty of room and not a fan of heights. In fact I hate heights so whatever climber I use has to be sturdy. I typically climb about 20 feet. I liked the Summit Goliath but when I got the Cougar Claw, I found I left my Summit at home. Don't get me wrong, the summit was a very well built climber but I found it to be loud and clanky. I didn't have anything to compare it to until last year. One thing I noticed first off what the lightness of the Cougar Claw. The Cougar Claw stand was much easier to use and climb up a tree quickly and the descend down the tree was a dream. One of the things about the Summit tree climbers I didn't like at all is the cable system on it. The cable system on the summit I found to be at times difficult to use and when climbing the cables didn't seem to go up the tree easy like the bubba stand did. The thicker cable that the Cougar Claw uses does make a difference in the way the tree climber goes up and down a tree especially when the bark is a little thick and the summit cables would catch on the bark since their cable is thinner on the out side.

Below are some pictures of the Cougar Claw tree climber. This stand isn't perfect, but there are many things on it that I love and would I buy another one? You bet! I am totally happy with this tree climber. I will make a few minor mods on it (Not structural).

The feet harness to strap your self down on the platform when climbing I like because the bugee
cords on the back side of your feet are quick and secure to use. One fault I found is the plastic buckle
that they used. Mine broke in less that 3 times of use. No big deal, I will make mine a little bit
stronger with a new buckle I will use. I found the straps for your feet were placed in a good
spot because climbing up and down was a breeze with little effort! Love it!

On of the things I would change on this climber is the finish. The finish is like sandpaper
and found it would grip any type of fleece type clothing and when carrying on your back
it would cause havoc on the clothing. I will be sanding down the rough finish on the areas
that I need it to be smooth.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The foot rest folds out and a nice feature to this stand. It's not real sturdy since
there is no real support on the base of the rest where it attaches to the platform.
I don't think this fold out foot rest was really meant to put a lot of weight on, but
just what it's for..to raise your feet and relax.

One of things I love about this stand is that it has a leveling system on the stand. I don't know how many times
you have climbed up a tree to find out your platform is not level. Either you get back down and retry or with
this stand you can adjust it without worrying about the cable coming off and seeing your platform go to the ground.
You and have the stand on the bottom of the base of the tree with the platform at an angle and when you get to
the top, you pull a few pins and your lower platform will be level for a great stance when you shoot.

One of the things that makes life easy is some of the small things that we get. I like the fact that
Cougar Claw put these cables on the pins so you don't lose them while you are on the ground and up in the tree.
Good thinking!!

The welds on the stand seemed to be strong welds. I like the fact they use box tubing
but would think that a little bit larger tubing would make this stand even more
fantastic, but doing that would add on weight. I am someone who just likes
to have extra, but in this case it may not be necessary.

I am Asian myself and would never trust anything that was made in China. My life isn't worth it and
buying American supports small businesses so I am all for that. Small companies like Cougar Claw in
my opinion are going to do a good job because they can't afford to make mistakes.

If you are gun hunting, this seat will be real comfortable. If you are
bow hunting, I found the seat to be too big. Might just be me, but when you go
to stand up and push the seat out of the way the rough finish tends to grab the straps
that hole the seat to the rail and when you do push the seat out of the way, the seat
is so thick that it bunches up. I decided to take the seat off and use a web/netting type
seat that tends to help with quicker set up when you climb to your desired height.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Wow. Awesome review.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The pocket is a nice feature for storing things, but then when you stand
and need to fold back the seat, I am not sure if the pocket would
get in the way.

Thick cables for easy climbing..even on trees with thick bark. This makes a huge difference!

This is one of the best part of the Cougar Claw climber. When you climb up the
tree and the design of the teeth on the climber really sinks in! No other tree
stand can brag of this. This really makes the tree climber feel more safe and
not having that feeling of your platform from slipping even on the hardest bark
when wet. My summit, if I climbed a tree with hard bark and it was wet, I was
always nervous about slippage. Not any more with the design of these shark
teeth! Nice!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My overall thoughts on the Cougar Claw's tree climber is that I am overall pleased with the tree climber. If I had to pick something things on it that I wished would be a future change, it would be the texture of the paint to smooth, having an option that would allow us to pick a net/web type seat that slides back when you stand for action. Mesh platform and better foot straps, but other than that, I love this tree stand and would rank this one to be easier to use than the Summit types. I recently got a Tree Walker Tree stand and will be doing a write up on that one too. When I first used the Tree walker stand, I found myself comparing the Cougar Claw to the Tree Walker and in all honesty, I found the Cougar Claw to be one I am drawn more to.

More to come!

Thanks for reading and as always, use your harness!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Very nice review and I especially like the way you took the photos with the descriptions in the photos. Thank you very much your time is appreciated.

OBH

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just one quick observation about the stand which I don't like, although I've never seen one in person...I don't like the wide slats you stand on on that platform. I used a stand like that before, and I noticed here in Wisconsin, where darn near all of the late bow season is snow covered, hard crunchy snow accumulates on those wide slats from your boots, and it's as loud as walking on broken glass everytime you move your feet around. And trying to kick the snow off your boots doesn't work, because you never get it all off, and it doesn't take much to make a lot of noise. I had a few deer come in behind me once, and I couldn't move into position, because to move my feet was to create a nails on a chalkboard noise that would have spooked them out of there. I thought I'd wait to see if they moved in front of me, but they never did. I directly attribute that failure to connect to the wide slats of the platform. Since that experience, I began a quest for the ultimate quiet stand, and I ended up with a Lone Wolf Alpha and a set of sticks, as well as a Treewalker, both of which are dead quiet, with platform designs that allow snow and/or dirt and debris to fall easily through the stand with no noise making accumulations. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be nice for the platform to have a mesh type floor on it, but I have never had an issue with it making any king of noise. A smooth surface I think would cause that.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The original stands had a smooth finish.

Some things I changed on mine(had one for about 5 years)I replaced the seat with a Summit seat that I added with quick snap buckles so it is out the way when climbing and can be released while standing to give more room when needed.

Also added a a rod within the cables that go around the tree for added rigidness.I noticed the cable was a little to limp for my preference.I also made some camo sleaves from some old camo pant legs that deaden the sound of the cable inside the arms when climbing..

Cables have never worn out like Summits.Mine is older and does not have the leveling system but I can level it in the tree after using it for several seasons.

As far as the comments on the platform I agree I would prefer expanded aluminum but it is still a great,light,quiet and easiest stand I have used.

Also in your pic "welds are strong" pointing to the center of shark teeth cleats is where I tie my lanyard that connects both stands,found this to be best spot for me as I use this when packing the stand to eliminate an extra strap.
My overall thoughts on the Cougar Claw's tree climber is that I am overall pleased with the tree climber. If I had to pick something things on it that I wished would be a future change, it would be the texture of the paint to smooth, having an option that would allow us to pick a net/web type seat that slides back when you stand for action. Mesh platform and better foot straps, but other than that, I love this tree stand and would rank this one to be easier to use than the Summit types. I recently got a Tree Walker Tree stand and will be doing a write up on that one too. When I first used the Tree walker stand, I found myself comparing the Cougar Claw to the Tree Walker and in all honesty, I found the Cougar Claw to be one I am drawn more to.

More to come!

Thanks for reading and as always, use your harness!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
wow a summit owner chooses a another brand as his favorite. I didnt think that was possible.....nice review thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
Been using cougar claw for 5 years now, and could not agree with you more! Great review. Very comfortable stand and well built! My footrest broke off but that was a minor thing and as you pointed out, was not the strongest part of the stand. Other than that, I have no complaints about cougar claw.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Thanks for the review. Been looking at these since last season.
Dan

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Great review on an excellent American made product! FWIW, that type of paint is used to keep the sun from glaring off the metal. Those smooth black leather Nike shoes are giving off more sunshine glare than the stand. :cool:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
very nice review.i wish i could put pics on here of my testing on SUMMITS BIG 3.some were funny,my brother shooting water on tree from garden hose trying to get summit to slip which it never did.

my only complaint with summits is weight of big 3 .goliath is not too bad but 180 max/titan are heavy.
i am working on way to be able to safetly move the SUMMIT STIRRUPS out of way.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
very nice review... like how the teeth really take hold

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes the teeth are one of the best part of this stand.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Great review. One thing I wish you would have added is the actual weight of the stand compared to the advertised weight. It irritates me that most stands actually weigh 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. more than advertised. heh

1 - 20 of 72 Posts