Archery Talk Forum banner

My Secret Spot Ended Up On Blog...

5609 86
For about a week I have been scouting, watching movement patterns, feeding schedule, bedding sites, getting closer and closer, etc of a pair of 6x Bulls. I showed up today ready to move into position in a spot almost certain to bring a chance of a shot at one of the buddies. I found 6 other hunters thrashing the hollow where the Elk where hid out. As one would expect, the Bulls are long gone into the densest oak thicket and you ain't going there. A little after dark comes a happy hunter fresh from the "Running of the Bulls" 2022 edition. I asked him here he was from and chatted friendly a little before I asked him about how he came to hunt a spot I had been hunting for a week without seeing another hunter. He told me a guy and his wife have a blog he reads and the husband wife team drive around looking for other hunters glassing and set up to spy on them to figure out what they are looking at. If they see the game you are looking at, they get the geo coords plus or minus and post them on their hunting blog putting an X on the map right where you are hunting in hopes on one day becoming internet social influencers and big shot game hunting sensations. That never get out of the heated truck or from behind their spotting scopes and do any actual hunting. Welcome the future of hunting.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
1,983 Posts
For about a week I have been scouting, watching movement patterns, feeding schedule, bedding sites, getting closer and closer, etc of a pair of 6x Bulls. I showed up today ready to move into position in a spot almost certain to bring a chance of a shot at one of the buddies. I found 6 other hunters thrashing the hollow where the Elk where hid out. As one would expect, the Bulls are long gone into the densest oak thicket and you ain't going there. A little after dark comes a happy hunter fresh from the "Running of the Bulls" 2022 edition. I asked him here he was from and chatted friendly a little before I asked him about how he came to hunt a spot I had been hunting for a week without seeing another hunter. He told me a guy and his wife have a blog he reads and the husband wife team drive around looking for other hunters glassing and set up to spy on them to figure out what they are looking at. If they see the game you are looking at, they get the geo coords plus or minus and post them on their hunting blog putting an X on the map right where you are hunting in hopes on one day becoming internet social influencers and big shot game hunting sensations. That never get out of the heated truck or from behind their spotting scopes and do any actual hunting. Welcome the future of hunting.
Beautiful. Gotta love what social media has done for hunting!

· Registered
2,334 Posts
There’s a reason Dan Infalt uses the most inconspicuous vehicles he can to go hunting in.

If this becomes too prevalent, learn to hunt the exit routes. Start asking yourself if you were the game, where would you exit to?

· Registered
30,528 Posts
Our Dish package includes the Outdoor channel, so I watch some outdoor programs rather than network TV junk. Often times it isn't a whole lot better than goofy sitcoms, but at least it offers some footage of game animals. When such shows feature western hunting, they often have the guide and hunter in a pickup truck with spotting scopes to locate the select game at a distance. Then they drive closer and use the wind direction and terrain to their benefit as they "spot and stalk". At home we would classify that as a form of "road hunting"......where you ride around until you see game and then go into pursuit mode. Road hunting at it's "finest" includes guys with weapons ready in the vehicle to take a shot out the window.....often by spotlight at night.

So now in the Youtube/blog era, folks are hunting hunters to "sell" the information with "hits" and "likes". They are using the same techniques western guide services have done for years, just focusing upon where humans are going to assume it is a hot spot. Out east that is kind of like finding a stand or blind on public ground and presuming it must be a good spot if someone else bothered to setup there. What the OP described really stinks, but those folks could in fact be anti-hunters who are pitting hunters against each other to run off game. Or they may simply be capitalists who are using the free enterprise system to their financial advantage. All this talk about trail cams on public ruining the outdoor experience, when in some cases it appears to be people observing you live for their own purposes. Better consider where you take a leak or drop your drawers in the future.......

· Registered
Bear Archery Wild. Team #9 - 9 TInes the charm
2,632 Posts
I would " teach them not to do that again" if you know what I mean

· Registered
725 Posts
Isn’t any different than RMEF or any other hunting magazine. They advertised my whole back yard for the best place to buy an out of state bull elk tag over the counter. Now it’s full of out of staters and us locals now drive 2-3 hours to different mountain ranges. When we have 4 within 30-45 mins. So I’m not surprised. And yes, it is the future of hunting.

· Corripe Cervisiam
27,868 Posts
That sucks.

But then I think….is it any different than fishing? Boats clustered in one spot on the bay or ocean only means one thing- they are catching them.

I suppose it’s different as one more boat is not gonna blow the fish out of there whereas too many hunters in one spot will push those animals out.

· Registered
123 Posts
Did you find out the names/website of these assclowns? I would do as much as possible to tarnish their names and try to have a talk with them. Your story really frustrates me since I’ve had similar experiences lately. I live/hunt in Idaho and my crew had a great untouched honey hole about 1.5 hours away with a perfect camping spot right on top of a knob and easy access to two drainages. Killed multiple bulls every year out of there and never saw any one else. This past season there was 10 Washingtonians all bugling at each other in that spot. The whole area was blown out. Washington plates parked at every gate in the immediate area. Everyone in my group was tight lipped about that spot. Not sure what happened. Beyond frustrating

· Registered
Headshots only
1,785 Posts
Did you find out the names/website of these assclowns? I would do as much as possible to tarnish their names and try to have a talk with them. Your story really frustrates me since I’ve had similar experiences lately. I live/hunt in Idaho and my crew had a great untouched honey hole about 1.5 hours away with a perfect camping spot right on top of a knob and easy access to two drainages. Killed multiple bulls every year out of there and never saw any one else. This past season there was 10 Washingtonians all bugling at each other in that spot. The whole area was blown out. Washington plates parked at every gate in the immediate area. Everyone in my group was tight lipped about that spot. Not sure what happened. Beyond frustrating
Just to be clear, my laughing face is not at your spot getting blown to smithereens, but at people bugling at each other. I'd take a day off from hunting just to glass that action going down.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
So why haven't you contacted the wardens?

From what you described, I'm pretty sure they are breaking some game laws by spying on other hunters as well as publicly posting game postions. Seems like the wardens could get them on some kind of outfitter law.

Me I would be contacting the wardens.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Here in Iowa the public land and we have very little of it, is getting demolished with pressure. Every year we have to fight to keep our foolish legislators from adding more nonresident tags. If they would use the funds they have allocated to them to buy more land rather than dozing all the "invasive" trees and trying to turn everything into a pristine prairie. I would be all for it. They dozed all the trees from a drainage in one of my favorite spots. I asked them why and they said they wanted to restore the prairie to its original state. I said so your going to remove all the pheasants? They didn't really know how to respond! I wish we had a whitetail group that had as much power and influence as Pheasants Forever or Ducks Unlimited.

· Registered
Headshots only
1,785 Posts
Here in Iowa the public land and we have very little of it, is getting demolished with pressure. Every year we have to fight to keep our foolish legislators from adding more nonresident tags. If they would use the funds they have allocated to them to buy more land rather than dozing all the "invasive" trees and trying to turn everything into a pristine prairie. I would be all for it. They dozed all the trees from a drainage in one of my favorite spots. I asked them why and they said they wanted to restore the prairie to its original state. I said so your going to remove all the pheasants? They didn't really know how to respond! I wish we had a whitetail group that had as much power and influence as Pheasants Forever or Ducks Unlimited.
What units in Iowa have the most public land? I don't have any points, but my friends just started a blog to help new hunters.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts