Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Just trying to grow the sport, bruh.
The fact that bowhunting is considered "trendy" makes my stomach churn! I love bowhunting ...always will.
A ban of trail cameras and filming on public land for profit is something that I hope our legislators consider. Then all the dweebs won't have a clue how to hunt and we will eventually get our lands back!

· Registered
Headshots only
1,785 Posts
The fact that bowhunting is considered "trendy" makes my stomach churn! I love bowhunting ...always will.
A ban of trail cameras and filming on public land for profit is something that I hope our legislators consider. Then all the dweebs won't have a clue how to hunt and we will eventually get our lands back!
If I'm actually being a grown up on AT for a minute, I can't offer any opinion of significance. Nobody wants to make content where I live and I don't use cams of any sort on public or my own property.

Not going to lie. Being an adult for that 10 seconds was kind of boring. Back to my usual juvenile antics now.

· Registered
19,915 Posts
That is definitely illegal in many places, if these fools keep it up someone is going to have a problem with it adn if they find them they better have their cameras rolling or they may get a black eye or two.

· Registered
1,442 Posts
I frequent another website to see what other's are picking up for shed antlers in my state. There was a guy that was picking up absolute monster elk sheds and posting pictures of them. He was pretty smart, he only took the pictures at night so you couldn't see any background. This guy posted some giant sheds for a couple of years . Then, one year he comes on the website ranting and raving about needing to delete all his pictures that he posted. Come to find out, the GPS coordinates were in all of his pictures, someone figured it out and gave them to a bunch of people and his shed spot turned into a giant city.

· Registered
123 Posts
Just to be clear, my laughing face is not at your spot getting blown to smithereens, but at people bugling at each other. I'd take a day off from hunting just to glass that action going down.
Believe you me we had a good time bugling them in and then and waving. They’re easy to distinguish because they all use power bugles that have a distinct sound. Three of us were still successful, just had to venture away from the honey hole unfortunately.

· Registered
1,710 Posts
Here in Iowa the public land and we have very little of it, is getting demolished with pressure. Every year we have to fight to keep our foolish legislators from adding more nonresident tags. If they would use the funds they have allocated to them to buy more land rather than dozing all the "invasive" trees and trying to turn everything into a pristine prairie. I would be all for it. They dozed all the trees from a drainage in one of my favorite spots. I asked them why and they said they wanted to restore the prairie to its original state. I said so your going to remove all the pheasants? They didn't really know how to respond! I wish we had a whitetail group that had as much power and influence as Pheasants Forever or Ducks Unlimited.
We have a ton of public ground in my area of the state(mostly grass)that's overrun with out of state hunters once Pheasant season starts, I don't even enjoy bird hunting much anymore because the pressure is so high it's hard for a lone dogless guy like me to have much luck. For the most part the woods get left alone except for the resident deer hunters but that's only because we dont' have the highest numbers of deer compared to other parts of IA. Most years I've had the section of woods I bowhunt all to myself but the last couple years more people have moved in so I just go deeper into the woods to stay away from them but I'm starting to run out of places to go and it's all because people can't keep their mouths shut when they see a big buck.

As for cutting trees down, they have ruined all the drainage ditches around here to help with farm drainage and the DNR cut a bunch of trees down on the public ground to restore the prairie and keep the hawks from killing the baby ducks(their words)in the ponds that dont' hold water long term anymore because they are too silted in.

· Registered
1,710 Posts
I'm all for that. I've always thought about putting trail cams up but in a way it'll take the surprise out of it. I haven't come across anyone filming in my area yet but I'm sure it's coming.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
We have a ton of public ground in my area of the state(mostly grass)that's overrun with out of state hunters once Pheasant season starts, I don't even enjoy bird hunting much anymore because the pressure is so high it's hard for a lone dogless guy like me to have much luck. For the most part the woods get left alone except for the resident deer hunters but that's only because we dont' have the highest numbers of deer compared to other parts of IA. Most years I've had the section of woods I bowhunt all to myself but the last couple years more people have moved in so I just go deeper into the woods to stay away from them but I'm starting to run out of places to go and it's all because people can't keep their mouths shut when they see a big buck.

As for cutting trees down, they have ruined all the drainage ditches around here to help with farm drainage and the DNR cut a bunch of trees down on the public ground to restore the prairie and keep the hawks from killing the baby ducks(their words)in the ponds that dont' hold water long term anymore because they are too silted in.
I'm from the Okoboji area ....you wanna talk overrun...it's year round over here. Even my ice fishing spots are now full of ice castles full of people getting lit and not catching anything! It's sad to think one of the last best states is getting 😪 ruined!

· Registered
1,710 Posts
I dont' fish anymore but I hated going to your area because of all the boat traffic. When I did go there I bass fished in Upper Gar, the fish were small but with it being a no wake zone it kept alot of the joyriders out.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Scout the scouters. Yep been going on here in the south for over a decade , in turkey pre season. I have had to park my truck in a random spot, and ride my bicycle in the dark to the true spot. Many times.

Had a drop off one morning in the dark, at my tailgate. That was b4 i used the bike.

· Registered
3,765 Posts
Unless it's your land, you don't own it. That's like telling someone on the water that the spot they are fishing is your spot...
But there was a time when people respected other people and would move along and give them a wide birth. Too many people have your attitude. Wether it’s small game hunters or THP. Hey, it’s public and I’m coming through. And I don’t care if it screws up your hunt. Or anyone else’s.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts