Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

· Registered
PSE EVO XF 33 S2 / Bowtech Revolt X80
912 Posts
The rise in popularity of bowhunting and the chase for big antlers is two fold. While more people are definitely hitting the woods it appears the quality of game being killed is of an older class animal. Nobody wants to post a pic of the "if its brown its down " spike buck they killed so more of them are living past 1 to 2 yrs old. This has been my observation anyways. Last year i saw more folks bowhunting southern Michigan than i personally have, this yr i saw more than last. Michigan is already known for not having the best age structure however this yr was a personal best for me in terms of seeing shooter bucks while having one close to boone and Crockett and another well into the 150s on cam, the biggest ive had prior mightve made 130. So while we have more educated hunters afield they are also being a little more picky than the use to. Or so it at least seems. And if that is the case i think its the best we can hope for given the circumstances.

· Registered
920 Posts
But there was a time when people respected other people and would move along and give them a wide birth. Too many people have your attitude. Wether it’s small game hunters or THP. Hey, it’s public and I’m coming through. And I don’t care if it screws up your hunt. Or anyone else’s.
I wouldn't know. I hunt private land only. You people are all nuts about your, "spots." Get over yourselves. You are hunting public land. You think you're the only one out there? If you don't like it go buy your own land to hunt on. You're bound to run into other hunters sooner or later. Are they supposed to just turn around and go home if they see you in a tree in the direction they are headed?

· Registered
30,528 Posts
I wouldn't know. I hunt private land only. You people are all nuts about your, "spots." Get over yourselves. You are hunting public land. You think you're the only one out there? If you don't like it go buy your own land to hunt on. You're bound to run into other hunters sooner or later. Are they supposed to just turn around and go home if they see you in a tree in the direction they are headed?
There is some reality in this post.....even if it goes against the grain of the thread originator and some of the folks posting. Private land ownership is expensive, a downpayment, monthly payments and taxes all add up to a significant investment. I know this for a fact because my wife and I purchased a small parcel in 2019 and I have been paying through the nose ever since. Been making double payments so it is done sometime in 2025 and I can start looking at plans for a cabin.

So the public land hunter counters, "Well public land is funded with MY tax money!" That is true, but also true of the next guy who drives in and parks next to you.....regardless if he just moved there or found the area on a map.....but you have hunted it for years. Both of you "own" and yet don't own the public land because you have the same into it. "Well I am older and paid taxes longer!", the argument continues.....big deal because folks long dead paid into it when you were in diapers and grade school. Being a resident of a state gives you certain perks for abiding there with your daily expenditures.....like lower tag prices and easier access..... but does that make out-of-state hunters the bad guys for wanting to come and share the goodness? This has been a hot topic for as long as I have been reading Bowhunter Magazine and been on the internet. Guys have no problem showing off "hero photos" of big bucks from IA or KS or IL or OH, but when those rotten non-residents start gobbling up tags and accessing the same PUBLIC ground.....well that just plain stinks! Someone should do something because I want it MY way because it was good before. Sound familiar?

· Registered
123 Posts
There is some reality in this post.....even if it goes against the grain of the thread originator and some of the folks posting. Private land ownership is expensive, a downpayment, monthly payments and taxes all add up to a significant investment. I know this for a fact because my wife and I purchased a small parcel in 2019 and I have been paying through the nose ever since. Been making double payments so it is done sometime in 2025 and I can start looking at plans for a cabin.

So the public land hunter counters, "Well public land is funded with MY tax money!" That is true, but also true of the next guy who drives in and parks next to you.....regardless if he just moved there or found the area on a map.....but you have hunted it for years. Both of you "own" and yet don't own the public land because you have the same into it. "Well I am older and paid taxes longer!", the argument continues.....big deal because folks long dead paid into it when you were in diapers and grade school. Being a resident of a state gives you certain perks for abiding there with your daily expenditures.....like lower tag prices and easier access..... but does that make out-of-state hunters the bad guys for wanting to come and share the goodness? This has been a hot topic for as long as I have been reading Bowhunter Magazine and been on the internet. Guys have no problem showing off "hero photos" of big bucks from IA or KS or IL or OH, but when those rotten non-residents start gobbling up tags and accessing the same PUBLIC ground.....well that just plain stinks! Someone should do something because I want it MY way because it was good before. Sound familiar?
W T F are you on about dude? You have a strange imagination. As already mentioned, its about respecting others on public land. Nothing more, nothing less. As for out off staters it causes nothing other than frustration to me and hasn't put a damper on my success rate. If they want to pay ridiculous prices to come do a miserable elk hunt in Idaho with an absurdly low success rate, then good for them, ill get over my frustrations, move on and harvest a bull.

· Registered
30,528 Posts
W T F are you on about dude? You have a strange imagination. As already mentioned, its about respecting others on public land. Nothing more, nothing less. As for out off staters it causes nothing other than frustration to me and hasn't put a damper on my success rate. If they want to pay ridiculous prices to come do a miserable elk hunt in Idaho with an absurdly low success rate, then good for them, ill get over my frustrations, move on and harvest a bull.
I've hunted out west, Alaska, and several locations in Canada, so my "strange imagination" likely has more breadth then your home grown gripes and issues. The post I cited was addressing the other alternative to hunting public land.....buy your own. Since only the ultra rich are able to fund enough ground for elk hunting, your other option is to put up with people.....some who don't think like you. If you read through this entire thread, it wanders off on some side issues which I addressed.....but you keep on with your "Own private Idaho" lament and "frustrations"....OK?

· Registered
123 Posts
I've hunted out west, Alaska, and several locations in Canada, so my "strange imagination" likely has more breadth then your home grown gripes and issues. The post I cited was addressing the other alternative to hunting public land.....buy your own. Since only the ultra rich are able to fund enough ground for elk hunting, your other option is to put up with people.....some who don't think like you. If you read through this entire thread, it wanders off on some side issues which I addressed.....but you keep on with your "Own private Idaho" lament and "frustrations"....OK?
OH. MY. GOD. You've hunted out west??!!!! AND Alaska???!!!!! SEVERAL LOCATIONS IN CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!! My minds going to explode can I have your autograph?

Sorry, I didn't mean to trigger you. The imagination comment was about people making the comments that you mentioned in your post. Comments that Ive literally never heard any body make. Carry on though. Im sure a guy of your caliber has evening plans with Corey Jacobsen and Paul Medel

· Registered
2,000 Posts
Yall stop arguing about public and private land and rights to hunt. Anyone that thinks the spot they found on public land is off limits is off their rocker. The point of this thread, and the argument to be having, is what you think about someone scouting a scouter, posting coordinates on a blog, and effectivelt directing the less experienced or lazier hunters where they should go. Let's stop repeating arguments that have their own threads and actually focus on a topic for once.

Now, I say tar and feathers. For the person scouting, not the scouters of the scouter. How dare he/she actually put in the work of hiking around and being as careful as can be?!

· Registered
1,119 Posts
One thing is for certain when it comes to hunting since covid came along, and that is hunting as we know it will NEVER be the same.

Hunting is my biggest passion in life, but what I have seen, read about and heard from other hunters is we are on a very slippery slope right now and Its not for the better. For the first time ever, I am really starting to question if this is something I really need to keep sinking so much time, $ and passion into.

Hunting used to be about providing meat and fun along the way. Now its about likes, shares, and only large antlers and inches on a score sheet.

I don't know exactly where thing went wrong, but I do know that I have been seeing it all fall apart the past 2 seasons.

· Registered
725 Posts
One thing is for certain when it comes to hunting since covid came along, and that is hunting as we know it will NEVER be the same.

Hunting is my biggest passion in life, but what I have seen, read about and heard from other hunters is we are on a very slippery slope right now and Its not for the better. For the first time ever, I am really starting to question if this is something I really need to keep sinking so much time, $ and passion into.

Hunting used to be about providing meat and fun along the way. Now its about likes, shares, and only large antlers and inches on a score sheet.

I don't know exactly where thing went wrong, but I do know that I have been seeing it all fall apart the past 2 seasons.
I’m glad I’m not the only one noticing it. It’s becoming very sad. Still like bow shooting. But more and more I’m tempted to just stop hunting and go into 3D/Indoor. Hunting has become a rat race on public land and I surly don’t have to money to buy property or pay a stupid hunting lease.

· Registered
BowTech SR350, Black Widow PCH. Tim Wells Blow Gun, Jimmy Lile Survival Knife. Bare hands.
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Unless it's your land, you don't own it. That's like telling someone on the water that the spot they are fishing is your spot...
True that. I moved on and found a 7x7 and have left the goon squad to choke on it and try to figure out "where did those bulls go?". Win a few lose most. But I assure you I will not be seen scouting ever again by some booger eater with a cell phone.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
But there was a time when people respected other people and would move along and give them a wide birth. Too many people have your attitude. Wether it’s small game hunters or THP. Hey, it’s public and I’m coming through. And I don’t care if it screws up your hunt. Or anyone else’s.
Thats right. The days of the sportsman. I grew up in those days.

· Registered
6,715 Posts
For about a week I have been scouting, watching movement patterns, feeding schedule, bedding sites, getting closer and closer, etc of a pair of 6x Bulls. I showed up today ready to move into position in a spot almost certain to bring a chance of a shot at one of the buddies. I found 6 other hunters thrashing the hollow where the Elk where hid out. As one would expect, the Bulls are long gone into the densest oak thicket and you ain't going there. A little after dark comes a happy hunter fresh from the "Running of the Bulls" 2022 edition. I asked him here he was from and chatted friendly a little before I asked him about how he came to hunt a spot I had been hunting for a week without seeing another hunter. He told me a guy and his wife have a blog he reads and the husband wife team drive around looking for other hunters glassing and set up to spy on them to figure out what they are looking at. If they see the game you are looking at, they get the geo coords plus or minus and post them on their hunting blog putting an X on the map right where you are hunting in hopes on one day becoming internet social influencers and big shot game hunting sensations. That never get out of the heated truck or from behind their spotting scopes and do any actual hunting. Welcome the future of hunting.
Sounds like they might really be anti-hunters engaged in hunter harassment--or getting hunters to ruin other hunters' hunts.

· Registered
1,847 Posts
While the OP's post applies directly to his hunting experience, I believe the behavior of the others is part of a bigger problem - "A loss of respect generally and sportsmanship" amongst today's generation.
The same thing is happending in the fishing world and I've experienced it first hands amongst friends "who promised" they would not bring others to the honey hole....until they did !!!!!

Today's generation (including hunters, fisherman, etc) have changed and too many people have the attitude that "I'm in it for me" , but that mentality goes beyond hunting and fishing and has become deep rooted in our society.

· <<<Aim Small Miss Small
5,354 Posts
Something doesn't smell right about this.

Where are you scouting at that some inexperienced husband and wife dynamic duo can A. Pin you down and B. Pin down your super secret honey hole? If they do as you claim and never get out of the vehicle, yet are somehow supposed to be able to narrow it down to EXACT COORDINATES, is it really that secret?

Then, God forbid, how dare someone else who bought the same license you did, hunt that same ultra secret (remember, apparently it can be located from a road) spot. Later, your sleuthing abilities turned up this claim of the super sharp dynamic duo posting the exact coordinates?

Maybe this guy was trolling you man. I may or may not have fabricated a story or 2 before.

· Registered
9,427 Posts
Our Dish package includes the Outdoor channel, so I watch some outdoor programs rather than network TV junk. Often times it isn't a whole lot better than goofy sitcoms, but at least it offers some footage of game animals. When such shows feature western hunting, they often have the guide and hunter in a pickup truck with spotting scopes to locate the select game at a distance. Then they drive closer and use the wind direction and terrain to their benefit as they "spot and stalk". At home we would classify that as a form of "road hunting"......where you ride around until you see game and then go into pursuit mode. Road hunting at it's "finest" includes guys with weapons ready in the vehicle to take a shot out the window.....often by spotlight at night.

So now in the Youtube/blog era, folks are hunting hunters to "sell" the information with "hits" and "likes". They are using the same techniques western guide services have done for years, just focusing upon where humans are going to assume it is a hot spot. Out east that is kind of like finding a stand or blind on public ground and presuming it must be a good spot if someone else bothered to setup there. What the OP described really stinks, but those folks could in fact be anti-hunters who are pitting hunters against each other to run off game. Or they may simply be capitalists who are using the free enterprise system to their financial advantage. All this talk about trail cams on public ruining the outdoor experience, when in some cases it appears to be people observing you live for their own purposes. Better considder where you take a leak or drop your drawers in the future.......
Oh, I would be drinking water every 5 minutes, eating pickled quail eggs ad beans so I would have to chit every half hour, then make sure I was out in the open in the hopes that they'd get an eyeful. If the weather was nice I would throw in a wind bath from time to time as well.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts