Archery Talk Forum banner

My Secret Spot Ended Up On Blog...

5629 Views 86 Replies 58 Participants Last post by  TezBowHunter
For about a week I have been scouting, watching movement patterns, feeding schedule, bedding sites, getting closer and closer, etc of a pair of 6x Bulls. I showed up today ready to move into position in a spot almost certain to bring a chance of a shot at one of the buddies. I found 6 other hunters thrashing the hollow where the Elk where hid out. As one would expect, the Bulls are long gone into the densest oak thicket and you ain't going there. A little after dark comes a happy hunter fresh from the "Running of the Bulls" 2022 edition. I asked him here he was from and chatted friendly a little before I asked him about how he came to hunt a spot I had been hunting for a week without seeing another hunter. He told me a guy and his wife have a blog he reads and the husband wife team drive around looking for other hunters glassing and set up to spy on them to figure out what they are looking at. If they see the game you are looking at, they get the geo coords plus or minus and post them on their hunting blog putting an X on the map right where you are hunting in hopes on one day becoming internet social influencers and big shot game hunting sensations. That never get out of the heated truck or from behind their spotting scopes and do any actual hunting. Welcome the future of hunting.
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

· Registered
698 Posts
Welcome to the future 😞
My honey hole preset has two ladder stands less than 50 yds away from it that showed up about 2 weeks after I set mine up. Still killed two out of it this year already.
Maybe don’t give up your honey hole by leaving a pre-set? I’m all for banning ANY personal property from being left unattended on public land.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Maybe don’t give up your honey hole by leaving a pre-set? I’m all for banning ANY personal property from being left unattended on public land.
I normally don’t, purely hang and hunt myself. However put up the preset for my son’s first year of bowhunting this year. He’s not quite ready for hang and hunt himself and this made bagging his first deer much easier. I appreciate your point of view regarding public property, but it’s legal in my state and making the first deer easier for my son will ensure that he wants to do it again (which he does). Once his initial skill sets are honed, I can make it more complicated and more adventurous.

· Registered
BowTech SR350, Black Widow PCH. Tim Wells Blow Gun, Jimmy Lile Survival Knife. Bare hands.
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
It's small canyon with lots of houses. Elk were 1/4 mile off the road. Only visible from one very small area down canyon. I moved off once the husband and wifey douche bags parked and started glassing the small ridge I was glassing. That was my FU, for not keeping my binos down when folks are out hunting the same area. The area is small enough that if you found the ridge the exact coords would not be needed once you saw the Elk. A slam dunk hunt. Had not seen another soul anywhere near that spot for a week. Day after I see the his and her poseurs in camo, bam! Six guys on the ridge the next morning. Imagine that. Or not, and I don't give tinkers damn if you believe me or not. Any real hunter that value fair chase hunting will understand why I am bring this up at all. Just a heads up to what is coming next. Good hunting, SFC Ronald "Kilmore" Moore.

· Registered
1,573 Posts
Beyond aggravating. It would be understandable if someone found the spot from doing their own work. The idea of someone ruining something for someone else that they have no interest in enjoying themselves is beyond me. It reminds me of when I was a kid and got annoyed at "city folks" who had no desire to live in nice rural areas would come mow down beautiful trees and scenic areas just to develop it. It broke my heart.

· Registered
4,536 Posts
Unless it's your land, you don't own it. That's like telling someone on the water that the spot they are fishing is your spot...
You don't own it if it is your land. You pay every year to use it and then people run all over it when you're not around. There is no honor among hunters or any other group any more. Everyone is special.

· Registered
Diamond infinite edge
51 Posts
I’m petty, so with all this going on I would be glassing in areas of private where I know the landowners would press charges on trespassers and let them areas get marked as hot spots. On public land I would be looking for cheap stands and broken trail cameras on marketplace to hang in areas to try and fool hunters into thinking it’s a great spot. Create a scrape, make some rubs. For me this is on the same level as these “superstar” YouTubers taking overly long or questionable shots to get that footage. Used my brand new ultra quiet bow with its high end rest and sight and use my high performance arrows to stick him in the shoulder. Lot of good a quiet bow is when he jumps the click of the hinge release, The arrow didn’t penetrate more than a few inches and my sight tape is probably off, but go buy my sponsors stuff. Meanwhile I can’t find deer A, so I’m now going to go stick deer B.

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,039 Posts
Ole Catfish Dave has said he will post a video of him catching Blues and nobody around and a week later there will be 10 boats there. fishing trolls

I noticed a guy trolling me while fishing one day so I fished all the "gar" holes until he left.

· Registered
Your game camera and sticks
3,152 Posts
That couple prob live in nearby residence and have watched those elk for months in canyon. They probably just played the wind and weather for their first day of hunting. Heck, its probably a habitual/seasonal breeding area that many locals and hunters know of. Nothin special

· Registered
16,151 Posts
There’s a reason Dan Infalt uses the most inconspicuous vehicles he can to go hunting in.

If this becomes too prevalent, learn to hunt the exit routes. Start asking yourself if you were the game, where would you exit to?
the "shoot em in the face" sticker in the back window of the prius is still a dead giveaway...dead giveaway

61 - 80 of 87 Posts