Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dicided, im terrible when it comes to shooting spot and dots and Xs.. I cant hit an X 2 times outta 5 at 20 yards!! BUT when I got vitals to shoot. Im grouping 3-4in grpoups at 50 and in.. Why is this. I try to shoot Xs and taget dots but cant hold good enuff to do so. When it comes to shooting the vitals of a deer, heck I am rubbing arrows. Does this make me just a killer and not a target archer.. I would like to accomplish both.. How else has problems with spots and dots but can hammer the vitals all day?????

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
It's all in your head, man. Honestly.

But spots sure aren't easy to slay, are they? That's why I keeping shooting at them. It's hard and requires a lot of mental toughness that most won't understand until they try it.

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swear buster, its like an addiction trying to get better at killing Xs.. I am trying to coach my son and heck I cant shoot them any better then he can.. Now shooitng vitals, he isnt very comfortable past 30yrds but 20 and in he whoops me on spots.. I am just not one who feelslike I can lock out and hold on a spot and squeeze my shot.. I feel like im floating all over the target.. When shooting vitals, I zone in , find my are and realease and bam, ive busted another nock..Just dont make since why its easier to group on vitals and not on a spot!!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I have the issue also. Getting better but taking forever.

Somewhere in my brain is saying an x is not a target since there aint no season on it!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
As long as I remind myself to just let the pin float and to concentrate on the spot I want to hit not the pin I do well. I let the pin super impose itself into the target to where I can barely see the pin.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a theory for ya.

The vitals on your deer aren't a set of concentric circles. You pick your spot in the zone and shoot your shot.

On a spot, I'd bet money you're trying to put your pin dead in the center of those rings. Stop doing that.

Treat that target like you treat the deer: give your rat's backsides about the thing you're trying to hit - not your pin and whether it's all lined up.

I shoot my best scores when I'm alert, my form is (relatively) problem-free, and all my mental and physical energy is pointed straight at the spot. My bow hand on my grip is pushing straight at that X. My whole body is in line straight at it. I don't shoot my bow; I shoot the target.

Those are some epiphanies that have really cleared things up for me over the last few months. Maybe give 'em some thought - I hope they work for ya.

·
Registered
50,379 Posts
Mental game all the way. Before you even draw down on the X you have already talked yourself out of the shot as being too tough. Don't feel alone LOL.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Have you tried a longer A2A bow? I did recently and it made all the difference in the world.

I cannot believe how much more accurate I am with my longer bow, most of the time.
And that esp goes for longer distances.

Past 30 yards it really makes a difference for me.

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried a longer A2A bow? I did recently and it made all the difference in the world.

I cannot believe how much more accurate I am with my longer bow, most of the time.
And that esp goes for longer distances.

Past 30 yards it really makes a difference for me.

Well Skeeter, I just went to a 35 AtA with the venndetta XL and dont even own a short bow anymore.. I have always shot 33 in or less ATA and yes it has helped my hold on the target by leaps and bounds. BUT!! I still seem to settle the pin on the X and when I realease, its done moved off. Almost like Im scared Imight hit it!!!LOL!!! but with the vitals, its like oh well theres a big ole lung area, and smoke it and I can find that little "spot" i like on my vitals target and rub arrows all day.. Cant put 3 together in an X for crap!!! I think killing Xs is not my game!!!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Sounds like your comfort zone needs some work. If you shoot with a pin or a dot, try using a fairly big circle for a while.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
for me, the colors of the targets along with the lighting on the indoor range really screw with my eyes. so i tore a flap off a cardboard box,broke out the sharpie and made my own 5 spot. fletching touches at 30yds.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
It is target panic, really doesn't effect you when aiming at something like a 3d target. I had that prolem also but never knew it until I started shooting spots.
You need a surprise release, not saying which release because I shoot an index finger now so they all can be shot with tension. If a trigger release atleast for me it needs to be stiff and have no travel

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
I dropped the dot for shooting 5 Spot a long time ago and now shoot with a circle.
As long as you have a heartbeat, keeping the dot still on the target is impossible. :)
Your brain isn't aware of nearly as much movement when shooting with a circle. :thumbs_up
The dot and target panic go hand and hand for me, so, I avoid the "DOT" :exclaim:

·
One Shot
9,181 Posts
for me, the colors of the targets along with the lighting on the indoor range really screw with my eyes. so i tore a flap off a cardboard box,broke out the sharpie and made my own 5 spot. fletching touches at 30yds.
I can shoot the blue 5 spot fine; don't care for the gold vegas face. Pin has little contrast and the actual x doesn't jump out at me.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I have a theory for ya.

The vitals on your deer aren't a set of concentric circles. You pick your spot in the zone and shoot your shot.

On a spot, I'd bet money you're trying to put your pin dead in the center of those rings. Stop doing that.

Treat that target like you treat the deer: give your rat's backsides about the thing you're trying to hit - not your pin and whether it's all lined up.

I shoot my best scores when I'm alert, my form is (relatively) problem-free, and all my mental and physical energy is pointed straight at the spot. My bow hand on my grip is pushing straight at that X. My whole body is in line straight at it. I don't shoot my bow; I shoot the target.

Those are some epiphanies that have really cleared things up for me over the last few months. Maybe give 'em some thought - I hope they work for ya.
x2 plus with spots you have to repeat your form and shot exactly for 30-60 shots or more which is very hard to do. Dale was right about the mental thing too.

·
Registered
50,379 Posts
Sounds like mostly mental you have talked yourself right out of the shot before you even drew the bow back. Could also have something to do with your form or how you use the release. Combo of things, may be only one thing, can't see you LOL. But it sure sounds like you have your mind already made up your going to miss before you even draw the bow.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's a constant struggle to keep that dreaded "NOW!" command from entering my mind. I'm a good shot most of the time but can screw that up at any given moment. Still, a lot of deer have dropped at the moment of truth. It's a good thing they don't have those imprinted circles on them like the 3D targets have.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Well Skeeter, I just went to a 35 AtA with the venndetta XL and dont even own a short bow anymore.. I have always shot 33 in or less ATA and yes it has helped my hold on the target by leaps and bounds. BUT!! I still seem to settle the pin on the X and when I realease, its done moved off. Almost like Im scared Imight hit it!!!LOL!!! but with the vitals, its like oh well theres a big ole lung area, and smoke it and I can find that little "spot" i like on my vitals target and rub arrows all day.. Cant put 3 together in an X for crap!!! I think killing Xs is not my game!!!
Wow, that sux. This may sound counter productive, but perhaps just shoot the vitals for a while until you build up more confidence. Maybe just slowly scale down the vital areas until it too turns into basically a dot?

Good luck to you bro.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts