Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasn't archery, but I figured any hunter (especially a father) would appreciate this as a first buck. My son, Tripp, is six so he isn't strong enough for effective archery equipment yet. Which is very frustrating to him because all I do is bowhunt. He has harvested three does, between last season and the current, with an AR15 chambered in 300 blackout that I built for him. After three does he decided it was time for a buck. I had trail pics of some real nice bucks on all three of our small properties. One of which is the 40 acres we live on. Right behind our house I got a few pics of a piebald 6pt. He was immediately obsessed with that deer. It even taunted us a few times, skirting the edge of the field while we were playing in the back yard, but we never could see him while in the stand. Now after a pretty uneventful season Tripp had pretty much given up on a buck. He asked this week if he could take one more doe since season was almost over and we were seeing lots of does but no bucks. Of course I agreed. With light fading fast yesterday evening we had not seen anything. Not even a squirrel. I was about to start packing up the video camera when a deer came out in the plot behind our stand. It was walking toward us. I could tell it was a buck immediately so I told Tripp to turn around slowly. Right as I sat his gun in the window the deer turned broadside. Tripp's eyes got huge and he said "It's the Spotted Buck!!". The adrenaline went to another level in both of us. I tried my best to calm him down but my voice was shaking as bad as his was. He said he settled the red dot on the buck and was ready. I gave the go ahead when I got the camera set. Then bang, dropped him in his tracks. His first buck. Not much for antler, but still the buck of a lifetime.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I need a REALLY GOOD hide tanner referral. And I want to make gun racks out of those white legs if anyone has a diy suggestion or knows someone that does that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Very, very cool. Congratulations.

·
pro deer watcher
2,336 Posts
Awesomee

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
That's really cool. Tht will be a hunt you will never forget.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Way to go!!Congrats to the little hunter and the proud dad!!You are teaching him well!!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Well done young man...:icon_salut:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts