Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing some close range shooting in my garage (2 yards) and my string fell off my cams. Everything felt ok up until I released. The string hit me in the arm really hard but other than that it seems like nothing broke that I can tell in the cams. The red cable slide flew off and I have been unable to find it (messy garage problems). The bow is a 2014 PSE Vision. The LAS last week said the string was getting a bit worn but would be good till after hunting season. The string doesn't seem to be broken. I have the draw length set to the max (30") and that is probably short for me (according to my LAS) but that is as far as the bow went.

Any ideas what may have happened? Is the bow safe to put back together and shoot again?

IMG_4494.jpg

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Your string most likely derailed. Usually caused from you torquing the handle too much or possible issue with cam lean. You need to get it restrung and investigate the bow or your form.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
More than likely you were tourqing the bow or the nock on the arrow broke when you released if the arrow is intact then it was torque
Strings just don't fall off a bow
Take it to a shop have them go over it and make sure nothing else is wrong replace the cable slide and put a new string and cable set on and you will be back in business

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting about torquing the bow. I have been shooting with a 2" ball in my hand to make sure I cant grip and torque the bow. I checked the arrow but it is intact and the nock seems ok. The arrow also flew true where all the others were. Ill have to pay a lot better attention to my form if this is a form problem or if I am still torquing the bow. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Interesting about torquing the bow. I have been shooting with a 2" ball in my hand to make sure I cant grip and torque the bow. I checked the arrow but it is intact and the nock seems ok. The arrow also flew true where all the others were. Ill have to pay a lot better attention to my form if this is a form problem. Thanks.
Not insinuating that was for sure what you did but I have been shooting for over 20 years and every now and then at full draw I’ll look at my string from behind and realize how far I have torques it out of the string tracks on the cams. It’s an easy thing to do. Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not insinuating that was for sure what you did but I have been shooting for over 20 years and every now and then at full draw I’ll look at my string from behind and realize how far I have torques it out of the string tracks on the cams. It’s an easy thing to do. Good luck!
Oh, im pretty sure it was me. I just started a few months ago, so if there are mistakes to be made, ill be making them. Thanks for your help.

·
Mark
5,214 Posts
Same here, if string is not coming off the cam straight you got grip torque provided the bow is well tuned.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Interesting about torquing the bow. I have been shooting with a 2" ball in my hand to make sure I cant grip and torque the bow. I checked the arrow but it is intact and the nock seems ok. The arrow also flew true where all the others were. Ill have to pay a lot better attention to my form if this is a form problem or if I am still torquing the bow. Thanks.
If you can, set up a video camera and film yourself shooting a few arrows. Then you will see if you are torquing the bow or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Were you shooting fingers or release? I’ve seen finger shooters torque their shooting hand and pull the string off the cams. Only once.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were you shooting fingers or release? I’ve seen finger shooters torque their shooting hand and pull the string off the cams. Only once.
I am shooting a silverback back tension release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a video I recorded of myself last week. It was a fairly typical shot (i've been trying to record myself each week to take a look). I am not really sure how to tell if I am torquing the bow from a side angle. I probably need to record from behind or in front.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Here is a video I recorded of myself last week. It was a fairly typical shot (i've been trying to record myself each week to take a look). I am not really sure how to tell if I am torquing the bow from a side angle. I probably need to record from behind or in front.

Honestly can’t tell from that angle but it does look like you may be an accomplished wood worker.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my bow. I was pulling it with fingers when the string came off the cam. Was just testing to see if I could draw the bow. Had my shop give it a once over. I was told I torqued the string off the cam and the cause was exasperated by the string (custom) being 2 strands over recommendation for the cam string slot. Everything checked out fine, and put recommended custom strings on it. No problems to date.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are your limbs backed out at all? If you shoot with your limbs backed out, or your string has stretched noticeably throughout its life, your string tension will be less than it would with bottomed out limbs and a new, unstretched string. With perfect form it still shouldn't derail, but these things can make a derailment more likely with less torque than it would normally take.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are your limbs backed out at all? If you shoot with your limbs backed out, or your string has stretched noticeably throughout its life, your string tension will be less than it would with bottomed out limbs and a new, unstretched string. With perfect form it still shouldn't derail, but these things can make a derailment more likely with less torque than it would normally take.

Yes my limbs are backed out quite a bit. The bow goes from 50 lbs to 70 and I have it set at 55. Also I know the strings are a couple of years old. I’m also been thinking about my form and thinking there is a good chance I haven’t been shooting properly lined up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes my limbs are backed out quite a bit. The bow goes from 50 lbs to 70 and I have it set at 55. Also I know the strings are a couple of years old. I’m also been thinking about my form and thinking there is a good chance I haven’t been shooting properly lined up.

Oh no, with perfect form you wouldnt have derailed, but being backed out that far with old strings puts you at a much higher risk for derailments just because your string has poor tension. I would definitely invest in a set of high quality strings, particularly if you're set on shooting backed out that far. Nobody can shoot with impeccable form every single shot, so it's best to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I got my LAS to put the string back on. They said nothing was wrong with the bow cams or any damage that they could tell. He did say that almost certain they are the original strings so that is like 6 years old. Well, new strings are like 2.5 times as expensive as the bow was for me so I'm gonna probably just buy a new (to me) bow. Classifieds here I come!

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Ok, so I got my LAS to put the string back on. They said nothing was wrong with the bow cams or any damage that they could tell. He did say that almost certain they are the original strings so that is like 6 years old. Well, new strings are like 2.5 times as expensive as the bow was for me so I'm gonna probably just buy a new (to me) bow. Classifieds here I come!
Catfish Customs will be about $75 for strings of the best quality an will last you for YEARS

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nothing wrong with wanting a new bow, but buying a new bow because you need new stings is like trading cars because it is time to change the oil.
Strings are just a maintenance item (consumable) just part of the game.
Good luck either way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts