Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry: Hey guys heads up,

My truck got broken into at Cabela's in Buda Tx. Lost some gear, 4 bags and lots of toys :angry: . So if you go there be aware of the following. I hope some of my tips my help you. I am not slamming Cabela's, they were so nice and helpful to me and my duaghter. Put us in a nice cool room, called the police, work their butts off trying to get the video up, burned a DVD or something to review later. This was their 4 incident since June when they opened. I was thankful for there assistance.

First off they have no security in their parking lot that drives around. Only cameras. So

Park as close the front entrance if possible.

Find one of the light poles with the camera mounted on it and park about 4 spaces away from it, not right under it and not 40 spaces away from it like I did.

If you have to go in, leave a buddy behind to watch the gear, then swap.

Don't put you sun shade in your front windshield, it help conceal the thieves.
If you have a pistol in your truck, get your hand gun license and carry it in the store with you. If not see my idea below on the master lock python.

I lost 4 bags, I think that if I had to leave the bags unattended if I was really worried, I could have taken a Mater Lock 8Ft Python and loop them all together and lock it to the steering wheel or something that would have really slowed them down. I mean, when they do this in broad daylight they have to be quick and make it look natural. If your gun is in there string the Python through it. The sheriff, told me had they got my pistol I was going to be there over night talking to the ATF, Not a fun thought, Thank God, they did not find it.

Never leave any personal papers in your truck. I grabbed a bag that I really did not need to take, I had one item in there I needed but the rest I could have left at home. I was on an out of town trip and stopped in there to get a tree stand and several other items. I had many bills that I needed to pay in the bag but I was not going to do them this weekend. Now they have a lot of account numbers. If you do then call the credit bureaus and you can put a credit lock on all new accounts that can be open and you can do this on the phone with a call to Experian at 1-888-397-3742 it is automated and locks it down, they will also notify the other credit bureaus.

I mean who has not "had" to make that stop at a Cabelas or another store and you lock the truck and just cringe as you run in hoping nothing happens. Well it happened to me. I almost put my bow case in so I could stop in Austin and have a $1.39 string leach replaced, glad I did not have it with me.

I plan to urge Cabelas, to take a look at this issue. There stores are huge, many of us stop there on the way to the deer lease and drop big bucks there. We leave all our gear out there unattended. I have a suggestion that I think we should push to them and that is a secure fenced parking area that is Valet parking. You pay them $5 and they or you park your rig. No one gets in with out the voucher or indentification. I mean if you have nothing in your truck then fine park in regular parking. But if your pulling the $25,000 boat and truck and all the toys we now have we need some help from them. Lets push this idea if you go there.

Hope these tips help.

Ranchdog

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Sorry to hear about that ranchdog. I was planning to stop there on the way to my ranch in Ozona to check it out but like you I would be towing my trailer with four wheeler, generator, bows....all the stuff you take hunting. I wouldn't be able to leave my belongings unattended for fear of what just happened to you. My buddy recently went to that store in Buda and he spent three hours and never made it upsatairs. So I'll have to make the trip there when I'm not packing valuables. I too am from the Houston area.

TEXAS

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TEXAS 10PT said:
Sorry to hear about that ranchdog. I was planning to stop there on the way to my ranch in Ozona to check it out but like you I would be towing my trailer with four wheeler, generator, bows....all the stuff you take hunting. I wouldn't be able to leave my belongings unattended for fear of what just happened to you. My buddy recently went to that store in Buda and he spent three hours and never made it upsatairs. So I'll have to make the trip there when I'm not packing valuables. I too am from the Houston area.

TEXAS
Thanks Texas 10 pt,

This is the second time they broke into the truck the exact same way. Stole all my CD's last time.

But!, they did not get my Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys cd. Looked when I got home and it was still there.

Ranchdog

1 - 3 of 3 Posts