Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that got's to be the fastest reply in history, I've only just shut down the screen. The bow is a Merlin Supernova with Omega cam and 1/2.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
DL looks like it could be a lil long but Id wait to see what N&B or someone better than me says.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
im thinking it looks pretty good....how does it feel? how are you shooting? good groups?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Sure are up on that grip.

Med high wrist...does your wrist get tired when shooting?

Some can do it but it's easier to be repeatable with a low wrist grip.

I'd bet most of your flyers or misses are low.

Hard to tell with the shirt on but looks like your leaning back a bit as well. DL doesn't look off to me, maybe juts a straighter stance.

I'm way outta line though for even typing maybe....I can't shoot for crap myself:wink:

Pretty bow man...very sharp.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Look at the first and third picture. You are leaning back quite a bit. Your draw length is to long. Try shortening it a half inch to start with. Also, I noticed in the last picture you are torqueing the hell out of your rig. Do you seem to have problems with arrows flying left further and further the longer the yardage? If not, then its not a problem. But that draw length is definatly to long. Your form looks pretty solid otherwise, except for the fact that your executing it with a DL to long.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments so far, a few comments on the comments. The high wrist position is caused by the angle of the grip, If I don't start with a high position my hand slides up the grip when I draw the bow, Its not a problem as long as I keep my fingers out of the way. Also I figure the closer I'm pushing to the centre of the bow and the arrow path the better, correct me if I'm wrong about this.

The overhead pic which appears to show the bow out of line with the arrow is taken from a slight angle and is not directly above the bow. I don't believe I torque the bow excessively but again I could be wrong. I don't have a problem with left and right just general scatter. I've tried a shorter draw but it just didn't fit comfortably, I have a cam module for the next lenght down so if the concensus is my draw is long I'll have another go shorter.

Keep em comming good and bad.

·
Banned
144 Posts
I dont believe its the angle. It looks like you have to much heel on the grip, thus causing you to torque left. I could be wrong however, pictures are decieving. As far as the draw length, im sure many others will agree with me, its to long. If you are a newer shooter, a long draw length will feel more comfortable to you at first, until you get more used to shooting at the right draw length. Your arrows scattering everywhere are also indicitive of a long draw length. Stand in front of a mirror, make sure your standing up strait, then draw your bow and you will see you are way to long.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Roadrunner said:
I dont believe its the angle. It looks like you have to much heel on the grip, thus causing you to torque left. I could be wrong however, pictures are decieving. As far as the draw length, im sure many others will agree with me, its to long. If you are a newer shooter, a long draw length will feel more comfortable to you at first, until you get more used to shooting at the right draw length. Your arrows scattering everywhere are also indicitive of a long draw length. Stand in front of a mirror, make sure your standing up strait, then draw your bow and you will see you are way to long.
I have been shooting compound about 3 years and previously to that FITA recurve for about 15 years. As I'm the only compound shooter in my club I have to try and sort things out for my self hence this post. When I refered to scatter I meant that there was no pattern to the arrow fall just random. On a good day I can shoot 10 inch groups at 100yds consistently. I don't under stand your comments about heel on the grip, the riser is accross the pad at the base of my thumb, how will this torque the bow anti clockwise (viewed from above). As I said previously I'll try a shorter DL again.

Thanks and regards to all who taken the trouble to reply

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
niceguy, just my opinion but I don't think your draw looks like its that much out of whack. Pic #1 it does appear you have your hips slightly cocked towards the target, but then Pic #3 doesn't look too bad, maybe a little bit of a lean back. Other thing that looks off a little is the shoulder on your bowarm - maybe just a tad too high. I think if you first try standing a little more upright and relaxing and letting the bowarm shoulder settle downwards a little that you may find the draw to still feel pretty comfortable as is. The top view shows your draw elbow to be in pretty decent alignment, i.e. not over-rotated around your back. Hence the reason I don't think your draw itself is too long, just possibly those other two mechanics. Not too hard to experiment with a little shorter, though I don't think you need to drop a full 1/2" from your current setting.

fyi, I think the torque that is being commented on is actually due to the cable guard effect, plus possibly a slight picture angle thrown in to throw things out of perspective. Grip does not appear to be a problem. I know exactly what you're referring to on the SN grip and the reason why I wound up settling on the Max 3K instead. That grip really pushes your hand up into the throat and for me I found myself tickling the edges of my pointer finger a few too many times with my 4" indoor vanes for my taste, lol ;)! Some like that, just didn't quite feel comfortable to me.

Nice looking bow you've got there. Looks like you've got the new limbs on there too - sharp.

If you want to try a little bit different angle on the playing, may I suggest trying out a Primos launcher blade on your Golden Key and then locking down the spring tension setting (or setting it very, very stiff). Depending on the weight of your arrows, possibly an 8, or probably a 10 blade. I think you may find the blade to be a little more forgiving than the guide and spring tension set up you are currently shooting. Just a thought. Of course, I'd prefer you try a TrophyTaker SpringSteel :D, but I think trying a Primos blade first may be a bit more cost effective :).

Just a few thoughts. I'm not a coach of any sort and my form is quite possibly one of the most atroscious on the shooting line (poster child for "how not to shoot a bow", lol :D) so I could be a little off base. I just didn't think things looked that badly. :)

Good luck, shoot straight..............

>>-------->

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'll give it a try. I will think Nut's & Bolt's would comment on your overhead shot. Maybe with pic's provided :). I think he would suggest bringing your left forward a little more and bring your bow arm a little closer to the string. This will in turn make your draw length better for you and you will not lean back. I'm not sure if this is what he will recomend just from what he has told and HELPED me.
Shawn F.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts