Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dirt Racer
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has been shooting spots and 3D with me for awhile and decided she would give the hunting a go. Got off work early about 3 P.M. but I had to rebuild a 3rd member on a truck at work today, and if you have ever been inside one you know you can't get rid of the smell for a couple of days. Got in the shower washed off as good I could and out the door we went. Got to her ground blind about 4:30 wind was in our favor so I wasn't to worried. About 5:15 the cold front moves in and the wind shifts to the wrong direction :confused: Around 6:45 a small buck steps out and I can tell right off he smells me, he slowly makes his way across the front of us, but he has her unable to draw. Finally he turns but by the time she draws he is already out of her range and blows a few times. By now my wife is discouraged and thinking she had done something wrong, I told her not to worry we still had some time. Not more than 2 minuites later another small buck steps out and guess what he already smelled me to :sad:, But, we got lucky the owner of the property was pulling in a got the deers attention and after he passed the deer kinda forgot about smelling us!!! He turned slightly away from us and started feeding so I told her to go ahead and take him. She draws back and makes the shot, I'm watching the deer running off arrow is up to the fletching but is a little high and forward but I thought it might be good. I look down at my wife and she is setting there crying her eyes out:cry:. I ask her if she was ok? And all she could say was I KILLED IT!!! I told her she had done a great job!!! I was a little nervous about her and the shot, but once we got on the blood trail I wasn't near as worried about her, she kept telling me let me see the light!!! and did you look over there? Man I hope we find it!!! We just got home from hunting searched for about 3 hours but we lost the blood after about 125 yards, I'm pretty sure the deer is still alive, just hit in that void. Now my wife is dissapointed she didn't find it, but good news is she said I'll be ready to go again Saturday morning if your going :). So she might be my new hunting partner, bad thing is that leaves me doing all the gutting and dragging by my self :confused: I am very proud of her for giveing it a try and makeing a lot better shot than I did on my first deer, I still have no clue where that arrow went.:eek:

·
Dirt Racer
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any other first hunt stories?

Last year I took my youngest daughter (8 years old) hunting opening morning, about 1 hour after daylight two small bucks came in and was milling around. One was a bigger basket 8, but still to small to shoot. My daughters eyes were popping out:eek: as she watched the deer, she turned and looked at me and then back to the deer, that went on about three more times. On the third time she leans over and said shoot it!!! I told her its to small... she then leans back over and said (not that one shoot the one with the big bones) I started laughing to myself, I have no idea where she came up with (bones).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts