Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had a session with an archery coach today and we both agreed that she needs almost an inch more draw length to help fix some potential form issues. My problem is that her Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34 #1 dfx cams are maxed at 27" right now. I could twist out a 1/4" on the string and pull the 180 grip and gain another 1/4" maybe, but I would be left with the d loop to try and get the rest of the difference. I am thinking about switching over to #2 dfx cams instead and restringing the bow, does this affect the limb weight on the bow? She has 40-50# limbs now and I thought I saw somewhere that this might lose poundage, so would I have to buy different limbs as well? I know I could just sell the bow but would rather rebuild it if possible. She doesn't want a franken bow but I was also thinking about some #2 dfx turbo cams, finding string lengths would be the only problem with that correct? If someone had some CD 34 40-50 limbs and #2 cam to trade for the 40-50# and #1 dfx I would be interested, or an outright sale would be great to. I have the hoyt adapters for my last chance press to safely take down the bow, the real bummer is I just put new pink and black strings on the bow 2 weeks ago! Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I would call Hoyt that’s what I had to do when I bought a 3 cam bow and wanted to go to 2 there was too much misinformation out there so I called the source. Dropping from bigger to smaller cam will make lb go up so I’m guessing your right that it would drop the weight on this bow you have

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
If you go from a #1 cam to a #2 cam you should gain @ 2 pounds, so no you don't need new limbs. You will need cams and cable/strings. Go to the Hoyt Tube Chart online for the exact lengths. She will go to the bottom of the #2 cam and have a larger valley and it will be easier to pull and lose a couple of feet per second, but she can turn it up a pound and gain it back.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Call Hoyt.. the defiant are backwards is what they told me everyone thinks going from this to that will add or reduce based on older hoyts but according to Hoyt it will change 6-8 lbs going to a 2 from a 3 cam and leads to an increase because of the deflection numbers. Which is the oppposite if you going from smaller to larger will drop yours based on what they are telling

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
Didn't know that, since they squeezed me out of their market with the price LOL!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I know with the hyper edge, going up in cam size, you will lose 8-10#. I am sure that’s the same with all the ultra flex limb systems.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The CD34 with #1 cam 40-50 has limb deflection of 72.. #2 or 2.1 for 40-50 has limb deflection of 77. You would lose poundage. f you need more info just pm me. I have a complete chart. he turbo idea isn't a good one. The turbo cam uses higher deflection to achieve the same poundage. Furthermore there is no advantage. The turbo bow is 33" ATA. CD34 34"ATA.. The difference is the BH. 6" for the turbo, 7" for the CD34. If you are thinking turbo then just go with the turbo and you don't have to frankenbow anything. Find one with the #1 turbo cam. And if you need to adjust poundage then you look for the limbs. And those lower deflection limbs aren't that hard to find.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, that has answered my questions so far, thanks for all the replys. As of now I will plan on calling hoyt on Monday and see if I can order some cams and limbs, I have checked the classifieds and they pop up but not as often as I was hoping. I liked the fact she was shooting the top of the #1 cam, hopefully I don't lose speed towards the bottom of the #2 cam. This is mainly a target bow for her and she shoots light VAP's in the summer to make up for poundage and length so the turbo option was more of a "cool" thought than anything. For now it is setup up for spots and form/accuracy takes precedent over any speed gain or loss. I have a reign 7 that might just have to turn into a hyperedge #2 cam for her!

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Alright, that has answered my questions so far, thanks for all the replys. As of now I will plan on calling hoyt on Monday and see if I can order some cams and limbs, I have checked the classifieds and they pop up but not as often as I was hoping. I liked the fact she was shooting the top of the #1 cam, hopefully I don't lose speed towards the bottom of the #2 cam. This is mainly a target bow for her and she shoots light VAP's in the summer to make up for poundage and length so the turbo option was more of a "cool" thought than anything. For now it is setup up for spots and form/accuracy takes precedent over any speed gain or loss. I have a reign 7 that might just have to turn into a hyperedge #2 cam for her!
I like you care so much! :thumbs_up

making sure her setup is perfect for her will keep her interest up.

the phrase "a happy wife is a happy life" has lots of truth to it. they make life easy if you try to do the same.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured that is what would happen duckdawg1, especially since I live hours away from a Hoyt dealer! I guess it don't matter at this point, I will be happy if the coach sign's off on her new draw length when all is said and done. I couldn't be more blessed than a wife that enjoys to shoot bows with me.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If she does in fact need another inch DL then the #2 is your option. she would be shooting right in the middle of the #2 cam. It would allow you some flexibility also. If it turns out she's actually 27.5 or even 28.5... you need deflection of 77 for a 40-50#. But if you run across some 86 limbs you could make a 45-55#. I will say that there is a difference in the draw cycle between the 2 cams. The #1 is a little stiffer. If yu go to the #2 she will find it a little easier. My daughter is shooting the spyder FX with a #2. #48 with relative ease. she's 5'1" 115#..

Hoyt won't sell you anything directly. Authorized dealer only.

·
Registered
718 Posts
These limbs came off a pro defiant 34. A bit strong for your needs. You need to look for deflection between 77 (50#) and 86 ( appr.55#) for a 2 cam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts