Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
13,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys I have spent the last five days in Douglas Wyoming hunting with AT sponsor walker creek (Lee Moore) at the Moore Ranch in Douglas Wyoming and all I can say is WOW! I had an absolutly awsome hunt. Lee's operation is located about 30 miles north of Doulgas Wyoming and he has 38,000 acres of his own personal ranch that he gudes on the place just loaded with antelope and deer. Whats even better is when you book Lee your group will be the only ones in the lodge and hunting the ranch during that time frame which is a big plus with me. I had litterally had 38,000 acres of prime Wyoming hunting land all to myself for five days. The action at the water holes was non stop I had shot opportunties at Pope and Young goats all three sits and seemed to always have goats within view of the blind at all times.

If you are looking for a pronghorn hunt I would not hesitate to book with Lee at the Moore Ranch I am alreay in the process fo booking for next season with a few buddies this time and I can't freaking wait its going to be a long year.

I arrived in at the lodge on Aug 24th around noon and Lee took me on a tour of about half the ranch the place is so freaking big we didn't have time to see the whole place. Below is a few photos I snapped while cruising around the ranch.

See below for the full story :D

·
13,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next morning lee picked me up around 0530 and I was sitting in my blind by 0600 and the hunt was under way. Lee's truck was just over the hill when the goats started to appear. There probably wasn't more than an hour that passed that moring with a goat being somewhere within 200 yards of the blind with numberous does and small bucks comming into water. Around 0830 a nice buck probably def. P&Y arrived at the water hole he was acting somewhat nervous comming into the water and I soon saw why another buck equally the same size was involved an intense stare down with each other. They were so close and I was so pumped I didn't get any good photos of this stare down but it was a blast they eventually went on about their bussiness without ever watering despite comming within 30 yards of the blind. The parade of does and small bucks continued until. Close to 1230 I had just finished my lunch when I looked up and saw a super buck closing the distance fast. He was a for sure pope and young buck as he put his head down to water I drew back released the arrow and heard a funky smack not the normal whack when you nail an animal the buck spooked and I had no idea what happend. I soon realized I had shot the blind! Day one ended without a dead goat. A few pics I snapped from the blind on day one.

Day two began pretty much the same Lee picked me up bright and early even though he had been out practically the whole night fighing brush fires around the ranch. Lee placed me in a blind in the pine ridge area of the ranch it was a unique setting for an antelope hunt but the area really hold some nice goats which was apparent from the morning sit. The first animals to hit the water was 6 mule deer does being from the east I love just seeing the mulies. The first antelope to water was another awesome buck that would have easily made the book. I just flat out missed him at 30 yards...I have no idea but thats why is hunting. A few hours later another awesome buck appeard at the water. He came into water but was facing directly away from and as soon as he finished he made a 180 and walked off never offering a shot. Below is the view from the blind and the buck that never offered a shot.

Day three found me back in the prairie at the break of day and immidiatly had five or six does feeding in the pasture about 100 yards out I watch them for a little bit and thought I better check all around the blind before I started reading my book. As I peeked out my window to the left a saw a goat..and he was a shooter and was only 150 yards away. I watched him rub some sage and make a few scrapes. I rearranged my windows and prepared for the shot. It didn't take long before the goat was at 20 yards broadside gulping water. I released the arrow and the buck took two or three quick hops and just stood there......I though there was no way I missed a pop shot like that. I took my camera out and started snapping pics of the buck as fast as i could as the buck just stood there. I zoomed in the vitals I instantly saw in the photo the entrance and it was an awesome shot. The buck was dead and just didn't know it yet!! It was an emotional rollar coaster to say the least. I watched as the buck simply walkd out a 100 yards and went down. My dream of killing a pope and young goat was complete. The pics below is the buck comming to the water and after the shot....look closly in the second pic and you can see the entrance.

·
Registered
983 Posts
thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
great deal for ya, glad to c it come togather........

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
That is awesome. Great pics and congrats on your goat!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Congrats man! Great story and awesome pics! Glad you were able to get it done!

·
Powderhorn
1,062 Posts
Congrats on a great goat!

·
Registered
17,808 Posts
i hunt the same area on another ranch, it is a fantastic area with tons of goats, i shot mine this year on the 18th.

congrats on the speedgoat. what kind of pricing and services does he offer.

·
13,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i hunt the same area on another ranch, it is a fantastic area with tons of goats, i shot mine this year on the 18th.

congrats on the speedgoat. what kind of pricing and services does he offer.
I have been getting several PM's about Lee's place below is a link to his website or you can contact him here on AT his user name is walker creek

http://www.mooreranchhunts.com/

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Congrats :darkbeer:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Excellent goat man, I'll be chasing em around next week in montana, can't wait. Congratulations!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts