Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks! I'm a new user and decided to post up in effort to find out exactly what this Bow is that I recently bought at an Estate sale for $30. It's unmistakably Bear and is very similar to my 70's Bear Grizzly (on the right); only the limbs are a bit narrower and the tips are not reinforced etc. However, it has a few unique features like the Dual coloured glass and interesting serial #04-5900 and a 3pc riser. There are no markings or logos on it that I can find... just an "s" brand on the lower limb that looks like an owners mark (similar to a cigarette burn) It's in fairly good shape and shoots really well so I plan to keep it.

Can anyone here help me date this bow and perhaps tell me what the model would be? I have exhausted my research on this forum and elsewhere (using all known dating methods) and I have never seen another bear bow like it!

Thanks for the help!

-Pat

·
Registered
18,984 Posts
It sure isn't a Bear, never seen tips like that on a Bear bow.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
It's a Pearson or one of the Pearson-made brands. The strike plate, the writing, and two color glass all are Pearson characteristics

·
Premium Member
11,439 Posts
It also looks to me like maybe that bow "used to have" reinforced limb tips...and one got damaged and then both got lopped off and new string nocks shaped onto what was left....because not only are the tips not reinforced?....but looking at the strung profiles?...there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of "re" in that curve...also the close-up of the sting nock shows the string leaving the limb in a real short distance.

One things for sure...it's old enough to have lived through the days folks did stuff like that...or at least I am! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Speyer, try searching these numbers on an extremely large internet auction site and compare the way the serial numbers are written. Your bow is something like the Pumas and Colts or even a recurve Cougar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts