Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could hardly believe this article, but here it is:

Associated Press-Des Moines, Iowa-July 15, 2006-----

"It has long been known that whitetail deer hunting in Iowa consistently produces extremely large bucks, many times at very young ages. This past spring, three different farmers in the southeast Iowa counties of Lee, Van Buren and Des Moines observed the birthing of fawns on their property from a distance of several hundred yards with spotting-scopes. What they each independently observed was startling!

All three of the doe's observed were having extreme difficulty as the birthing-process began. After much contorting and re-positioning themselves, the young deer were finally out....two of the three sported 8" wide, 6-point racks and the third was similar in spread but carried 8-points with 3"-4" tines.

For those unfamiliar with normal age-progression and antler growth-rates in whitetail deer, it normally requires 1.5 years for a male whitetail to carry the rack size/number of points that these newborns sported right out of the birth-canal. These amazing observations go a long way towards explaining the legend of the "Giant Iowa Whitetails" that are 130-140-class bucks at only 2.5years of age.....

Hunters are rarely ever in the woods to see these birthing-events in the springtime, so these phenomenon (which apparently are unique to Iowa) had (until now), never been witnessed.

Wildlife biologists are now descending on SE Iowa to try and determine what DNA or unique genetic qualities exist in this population of deer to allow for such extraordinary antler developemnt while still in the womb."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You sure that quote wasn't from the National Enquirer???

I'm gonna' have to call BS on this one!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Surly that was not in the paper:eek:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Earl said:
Surly that was not in the paper:eek:

Yep....Des Moines Register.....July 15, 2006......can't believe this was the first time it's been posted on AT.....about fell off my chair when I read that!"

My mom still lives in Burlington and she clipped it out and mailed it to me! :eek:

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I think the date is wrong. That HAS to be an April 1 print.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK......you guys just can't be fooled! :wink:

In honor of Opening Day being just around the corner, I wanted to create a "Loch Ness Monster" story for legendary Iowa whitetails! :eek:

Sorry I wasn't able to make it more believable! :rolleyes: :darkbeer:

C'mon Opening Day! :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
TexasGuy said:
OK......you guys just can't be fooled! :wink:

In honor of Opening Day being just around the corner, I wanted to create a "Loch Ness Monster" story for legendary Iowa whitetails! :eek:

Sorry I wasn't able to make it more believable! :rolleyes: :darkbeer:

C'mon Opening Day! :wink: :wink: :wink:
sicko :)

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Most of us were born at night, not last night.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stanley said:
Most of us were born at night, not last night.

:ROFLMAO: Very true, my friend!

But I bet somebody, at least, had to think about it for at least a FEW MINUTES before they called BS on it!

Right? C'mon now.....be honest! :wink:

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I knew it was a lie from the beginning because I have never seen any buck born with 6 or 8 points. The ones I have seen only had forks and spikes.:wink:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Most bucks in WI don't sport 8 point racks until several years after they have been shot. And then only after the racks have been discarded or mysteriously lost.:wink:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ha Ha, Good one. I bet that one of the farmers that witnessed this, is the one who shot the 6 lb. grasshopper. The grasshopper story is true. I read it in the National Examiner.:wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts