Archery Talk Forum banner

N.H. Coyotes must be driving away the deer

586 9
Last 3 evenings I have had coyotes around, anywhere from two upwards of a dozen or more. Had 2 yotes 3 nights ago howling back and forth for the last hour of daylight within 300 yards. The last 2 evenings an hour before dark I had 3 packs the furthest away about 200-300 yards. One pack uphill, one pack downhill and 1 pack directly in front. They start howling so close to the same time daily you could about set your watch to them. Starts with 1 howling, then another and within minutes a chorus nonstop well after darkness. I have always had deer behind my house, since the yotes moved in in numbers about 5-8 years ago the turkeys and deer have dwindled.

Have any of you had your hunt ruined or area hurt by the presence of coyotes? Neighbors have lost small pets and some seem to think they just got lost, I have another theory. I have not seen any deer droppings, rubs, or areas with leaves scraped looking for acorns. I have tons of acorns in my area so lack of feed is no issue. Even my neighbors apples haven't been touched and I have been out since 15 sept the season opener.

I have killed 2 yotes but it seems for every one you kill they send 5 more to replace it. 2 winters ago a pack killed a moose right behind my house, they dogged it for 3 days starting about 3/4 of a mile behind my house and 3 days later they finished it within 150 yards of my bedroom window. I think due to the lack of deer they had to take a chance with bigger prey. This was no yearling either. with a deer population that was less than 1 deer per square mile, it doesn't take long for predators to put a real long term hurt on things.
To make matters worse I have had a cougar that visits from time to time, and sadly it killed a buck I was hunting that was a monster even by N.H. standards. A couple years ago I was running an air drill in my yard and a coyote would howl every time I ran the drill, this went on for almost an hour!

what have you guys done to try to eliminate yotes as far as hunting tactics. There is no closed season on them here in N.H. and even night hunting is allowed. I will not be night hunting as I have many new neighbors down the road that came from Mass. and when they hear a gunshot they can't get to the phone fast enough to call the police though there is no law against shooting where I live. I can just imagine the complaints if I was shooting at night, even though they live a distance away.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,106 Posts
where we hunt in southern nh they are everywhere we have killed quite a few but it seems to do no good. they do a good job keeping there pack numbers up, and the size of these things seem to be getting bigger and bigger after deer season i hunt them every weekend for a good 4 months but what makes it hard is the woods we have. if you can get land owner permission and register with the game warden you can bait and hunt at night.all i can say is good luck

· Registered
4,220 Posts
Ive never seen a pack of 12 before. I have had 3 deer come in 15 minutes after 4 coyotes were under my stand. I killed one of the deer.

Ive watched 7 does look up to yotes hollering maybe 300plus yards away.

They never ran off but all would look up when they yelped.

· Registered
403 Posts
I will not be night hunting as I have many new neighbors down the road that came from Mass. and when they hear a gunshot they can't get to the phone fast enough to call the police though there is no law against shooting where I live. I can just imagine the complaints if I was shooting at night, even though they live a distance away.
why would you let that stop you. You have the right. let them call the cops. Just curious where in NH do you have this problem?

· Registered
6,936 Posts
what have you guys done to try to eliminate yotes as far as hunting tactics. There is no closed season on them here in N.H. and even night hunting is allowed. I will not be night hunting as I have many new neighbors down the road that came from Mass. and when they hear a gunshot they can't get to the phone fast enough to call the police though there is no law against shooting where I live. I can just imagine the complaints if I was shooting at night, even though they live a distance away.
If there is no closed season on Yotes and there no law against discharging of a rifle where you live then friggen take them out left & right!! I'd be sitting out there every night & day killing as many of the little SOB's as I possibly could!!! They are good for nothing,as far as I'm concerned yotes are as much of a nuisance as groundhogs are! I damn sure know that when the time comes that I start seeing them here on our farm I'm gonna kill every one of them that I can!

· Banned
2,866 Posts
we bait em, call em, trap em and sometimes just plain ole kill em!
wish they were worth more!

· Registered
357 Posts
We are in South Western N.H. and we are getting more coyote pics on the cameras then deer, this past weekend they were howling up a storm chasing something across the ridge. Usually we get a bunch of doe with fawns pics on our cameras in mid-summer, but this year we only had 1 and 1 hour later the camera caught two coyotes. We have more pics of the doe minus the fawn:mad:

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in Deering, and I have had more and more problems with these people. One stole 2 sets of antlers from my mailbox, I saw him as he was leaving. Called the cops and they showed up 4 hours later when 1 came on duty and since they couldn't see the antlers in his car they said a judge wouldn't give a serarch a warrent. Then another was sitting in my treestand 150 yards from my house opening day 5 years ago and since has been runninmg over my food plots and even ripped down my posted signs ( I had to put up because of him ) and threw them in my yard!

I bought this property 21 years ago and built a house while still with the Air Force and retired 10 years ago. never had these problems until about 5 years ago when these idiots moved in. Not all from Mass are bad, I have a new neighbor who hunts and is a real nice guy.

As far as the cougar I saw it from 50 yards and measured its tracks after going home for a tape measure and camera. 52-54 inch stride furthest front to furthest rear paws, and it was breaking through crusted snow I wasn't! I have seen him twice. He actually ambushed the monster buck by jumping from a tree and I assume breaking his neck. This happened with fresh snow on the ground and I could see where the buck walked under the tree. Only the bucks tracks came to the tree and the cats tracks leaving, so the cat had been in the tree all night.

The cat killed the deer outright in a 10 foot area of blood and dragged it about 300 yards to the nasty thick pines. Same place I jumped him 1 week later laying about 150 yards from a house that has a small dog. I think he was waiting. I always carry a 40 cal when archery hunting and now I am always looking UP IN THE TREES! Poor deer must be so nervous it misn't funny. I hunt where it is so nasty its sickening but thats where the deer travel, it was logged 12 years ago and it is wicked thick.

Good luck to all
Bowstalker

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.