Archery Talk Forum banner

N.O.A.H members and all deer hunters, please sign..

625 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  wolfy692005
I have started a petition to help bring back Check in stations in IL, they were a good way of keeping hunters honest and need to be brought back..
For those of you that remember them, i think you agree they were a good thing.

The poaching in IL is getting out of hand, I have witnessed it first hand and had to call the poaching hot line on more then one occasion.. Hunters are not calling in their harvest and are reusing the tags, they are killing way over the two buck limit in IL and it needs to stop...
With the old check station you had to take the deer to a business to have it checked in. They took down all the info and put a meat tag on the carcass, hunters had to follow the law, there was no getting around it..

This call in system is a joke at best and needs to be put to bed..
Please sign the partition and help us here in IL control the poaching..:thumbs_up
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/9/bring-back-deer-check-stations-in-il-and-stop-the-poaching.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,542 Posts
The poaching in IL is getting out of hand, I have witnessed it first hand and had to call the poaching hot line on more then one occasion..
Unfortunately as most states that have went to this system it is a cost saving move and willnever be cost efffective to bring it back. It was a great part of the hunting experiance in my opinion. But there are so many deer in Missouri, kansas, Ill, and most states, I think the Departments to some degree count on the poaching to take a portion of the herd. it has ben proven with the numbers of doe tags given but not claimed in most states that the way to thin the herd is to let it happen. Plus they get the added benefit of more guy like you and me turning in poachers , that have a better chance of gettin caught because there is not an agent at a check station investigating simple rules violations that dotn warrent an agent wasting his time on.

· Registered
28,629 Posts
During these tough economic times it would hard for most to support check in stations. We need to use every dollar wisely. Calls in reports are not the best but better than nothing. Check in stations are the best, but are labor and dollar intensive. I hate poaching, but we need to take a realistic approach during the tough times ahead.

· Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately as most states that have went to this system it is a cost saving move and willnever be cost efffective to bring it back. It was a great part of the hunting experiance in my opinion. But there are so many deer in Missouri, kansas, Ill, and most states, I think the Departments to some degree count on the poaching to take a portion of the herd. it has ben proven with the numbers of doe tags given but not claimed in most states that the way to thin the herd is to let it happen. Plus they get the added benefit of more guy like you and me turning in poachers , that have a better chance of gettin caught because there is not an agent at a check station investigating simple rules violations that dotn warrent an agent wasting his time on.
During these tough economic times it would hard for most to support check in stations. We need to use every dollar wisely. Calls in reports are not the best but better than nothing. Check in stations are the best, but are labor and dollar intensive. I hate poaching, but we need to take a realistic approach during the tough times ahead.
I agree with you both, this is no time to waste any money. But the check station system was provided free of charge from small business owners, they were paid nothing.. The reason they did it was to bring in business to their store and it worked.. It is also my understanding that the Colleges picked up the tab for the firearm check stations where they would send a biologist student to man them and record data, age, gender and things of that nature..
Now just the lost revenue the state is having in tags being reused, should be enough incentive for them to reinstitute them...

Scum bags that are killing 3,4,5 bucks a year has to stop, look at what has happened to the numbers in IL already.. Look at the entries at this years deer classic, compared to past numbers. It's plain to see the decline in mature deer being harvested...

· Registered
5,566 Posts
They've done the same here.
I think I've seen 1 check station in the past 10 years.:angry:
I remember one of the last stations I saw....It was manned by a couple officers and 6 kids volunteering from the University of Idaho.The kid were doing most of the checking and I think the officers were there mostly as back-up.
I thought it was a great idea.It kept the cost down for the state and gave the kids a chance to get some experience.

I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure at least 10% of the hunters in the state drive by that check station.
I for example am up and down that highway 20/30 times every season.

Idaho (simlified) has one major north/south route,Highway 55/95,and one east/west,Interstate 84.
I understand the cost involved,but imagine how many poached critters are coming out of the hills.
That is a $$$ valuable $$$ resource we will never get back!

· Registered
1,730 Posts
I agree 100% with the OP!!! I will sing it. OH I beleive still has check in stations and the montgomery county sheriffs office was used for shotgun check ins! A local liquor store was one for archery and it was good times taking the deer in to be checked out!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.