Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Was in town yesterday for the State Games and talked to some friends who were there for practice day.....the youngest said that there were approximately 600 shooters, and that there were alot of hot chicks, then again he's 20 and single. ;) :thumbs_up :teeth:

This is his first NAA, but I doubt it will be his last. ;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
So, what's the comparison to previous year concerning turnout. That number seems low to me, but I have nothing to base that on. :confused:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Floxter posted the following on another thread:

"2004 - 402
2003 - 485
2002 - 480
Don't hold me to that, as it's from memory."

I see that the NAA press release says attendance this year is "over 400". I did a quick count of the entries from the first days results and came up with only 388. Will re-check figures tonite; maybe I missed some.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Are the 378 all American archers or does this include foreign shooters? Then what is the number of Americans vs. past years? (Not to exclude foreigners, but I'm guessing their travel expense is relatively the same no matter were it's held in the US :D )

Also, do we see an increase on year prior to an Olympic year and a fall off the year after. This doesn't make sense to me as the real Olympic competitors are there regardless, but does this persuade others to participate?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
nationals

if the naa would have kept the nationals on the east coast there would have been 600 plus

·
Registered
192 Posts
if the naa would have kept the nationals on the east coast there would have been 600 plus

Doubutful, however the entries likely would have been greater "600 plus" is a bit overzealous. Remember this is not an olympic year or the year before the olympics when participation seems to increase. Iam not far away being in Arizona, and would have attended. Gas prices however strained my budget to the breaking point and so iam here hoping that Texarc will continue to post pictures of the event. :wink:

·
Registered
956 Posts
I spent too much time upset with some of the folks running the event to take photos.

They screwed up Lindsey's target assignment on the first day, and again today.
Instead of putting her on target with the other top female recurves (she finished the first FITA in 6th place, which was purposely not reported in the 2nd day official bulletin), she was put on target with the 27th and 28th archers today.

They also refused to put her on the leader board with the other female senior recurves, so she and we never knew for sure where she stood till the official bulletin arrived a few minutes ago. She's now 8th, behind Dykman by a couple of points.
no pictures? :angry: spit.

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
TexARC said:
I spent too much time upset with some of the folks running the event to take photos.

They screwed up Lindsey's target assignment on the first day, and again today.
Instead of putting her on target with the other top female recurves (she finished the first FITA in 6th place, which was purposely not reported in the 2nd day official bulletin), she was put on target with the 27th and 28th archers today.

They also refused to put her on the leader board with the other female senior recurves, so she and we never knew for sure where she stood till the official bulletin arrived a few minutes ago. She's now 8th, behind Dykman by a couple of points.
no pictures? :angry: spit.
well that just plain sucks-since they now allow her to shoot in both divisions with one registration she deserves to be on the second or third target for certain

·
Registered
119 Posts
Windy?

The scores from today look significantly lower than from the first day. Were the winds a big factor today?

TexasARC, sorry to hear about your problems with the leaderboard. Lindsey's shooting the same thing as everyone else and should be considered in the same light. Just curious, how do you know they purposely didn't mention that she moved up to sixth in the second day bulletin? Reading through the bulletins, it seems like they always mention the top two or three, then a random smattering of other archers.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The winds started at 10am, and rose steadily throughout the morning ends. I was not there for the PM rounds so I do not know how windy it was.

As for the "purposely" statement, that is what I was told and it is consistent with what I was able to learn. Furthermore, note that she was not included in the SFR - results of the second day

iceman77_7 said:
The scores from today look significantly lower than from the first day. Were the winds a big factor today?

TexasARC, sorry to hear about your problems with the leaderboard. Lindsey's shooting the same thing as everyone else and should be considered in the same light. Just curious, how do you know they purposely didn't mention that she moved up to sixth in the second day bulletin? Reading through the bulletins, it seems like they always mention the top two or three, then a random smattering of other archers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nationals would have been kept in PA except Reading didn't want the tournament there. They would have charged the NAA(I think about 10 g's) to host the tournament again. I believe they claimed they were losing money on it. So it's not really the NAA's fault. Secondly, there is usually a large drop off the year after the Olympics, just look at the turnout for all the other competitions and you will probably notice the same percentage drop off.

The afternoon line today was extremely windy. A head wind, I'm guessing around 20-25mph, that changed slightly left to right in a matter of seconds. Sometimes it was even difficult to stay standing!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Huggybear is correct about Reading. I t seems that the Chamber of Commerce or perhaps the Better Business Bureau was the host, not the Reading Archery Club where I am a member. The club was asked by the city to stay out of the way. The cities beef was that their subscriber hotels/motels did not get the archer's business. They only represented the higher prilce hotels. The archers did what would be expected of them and they sought out the more seasonably priced motels. Fortunately the NAA was able to move the tournament to CS.

All of this said, based on where the NAA membership lives, it is probably best to have the tournament within driving range of the most people. Our membership is North region 1900, West 1600, South and North 1100. Within the regions the distribution of members is as expected. For the North, most members are from Ohio and Michigan. For the West it is southern California. For the South, Texas has the highest concentration. Archers in the Eastern Region are concentrated in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. If you look at these demographics, a tournament held from Ohio/Michigan east would afford the most opportunity for people to drive.

The current location is probably the opposite. At CS the fewest people are within driving range.

·
Registered
381 Posts
huggybear is right: there has been a considerable drop in attendance at the other major tournaments this year.

Texas Shootout: 2004, 174 versus 2005, 122
AZ Cup: 2004, 273 versus 2005, 148
Gold Cup: 2004, 171 versus 2005, 133

The largest declines came in the recurve classes, with attendance down as much as 50% in some cases.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts